GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6: cosmetically disappointing

ProudMkV

It's great to hear that VW is releasing a new model with great improvements but the design is disgusting.
This is just my opinion, I would like yours too.

Comparison:

MkV:

Front: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=155&stc=1&d=1137962493

Rear: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=171&stc=1&d=1137963146

Mk6:

Front: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15&d=1217852482

Rear: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16&d=1217852482

Okay so the front of the mk6 looks similar to the r32, but the lights are horrible. The rear lights are also horrible. I personally think the rounded ones are much better.

What are your thoughts on the new mk6 design?

Devin

lolwut
You're comparing a Golf GTI MKV to just a Golf Mkvi. Atleast compare a golf to a golf, not a gti to a golf. Cause then obviously the differences will be huge!

Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
I think the design is perfect. It takes all of the oddities of the MKV and brings them back in line with VW's traditional style. Basically it takes a great car and makes it just a little bit better.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Design is only one small facet to the changes made to the MK6. And as mentioned, you can't compare an older GTI trim level to a new base Golf trim level.

VW desperately needed to cut their manufacturing costs on the MK6 chassis, so many of the features, including the design, were simplified to help cut costs. You'll have to sacrifice some design complexities to achieve that.

Beyond that, as many have said, the design is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

The front end has taken many design cues from the Scirocco, the W12 GTI concept, and the B6 Passat. Very few parts are shared, if any, but the designs are similar enough to help keep design, tooling, and manufacturing costs to a minimum.

The rear end has a number of cues from the Touareg and I can see a little Scirocco in there as well. All of this not only helps cut costs, but also helps keep similar design themes within widely different models to keep some continuity within the range.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
You're comparing a Golf GTI MKV to just a Golf Mkvi. Atleast compare a golf to a golf, not a gti to a golf. Cause then obviously the differences will be huge!

Its like comparing apples and oranges.

X2 worlds of difference.

Design is only one small facet to the changes made to the MK6. And as mentioned, you can't compare an older GTI trim level to a new base Golf trim level.

VW desperately needed to cut their manufacturing costs on the MK6 chassis, so many of the features, including the design, were simplified to help cut costs. You'll have to sacrifice some design complexities to achieve that.

Beyond that, as many have said, the design is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

The front end has taken many design cues from the Scirocco, the W12 GTI concept, and the B6 Passat. Very few parts are shared, if any, but the designs are similar enough to help keep design, tooling, and manufacturing costs to a minimum.

The rear end has a number of cues from the Touareg and I can see a little Scirocco in there as well. All of this not only helps cut costs, but also helps keep similar design themes within widely different models to keep some continuity within the range.

x2

I think it looks pretty good actually, and am looking forward to getting more information.

CL4551

can't wait to see the MK6 Gti - going on wat the standard golf looks like should be good - but not a fan of the standard golf...

lawreo

i second that. the mk6 golf already looks more stylish in front. i hope the mk6 GTI will look more refreshing than the current one. the current one looks dated. my 2 cents

GTIWolf23

Oval Newbie
I dunno, I think it looks brilliant. I sure hope they fixed that nasty blindspot along the pillar near the driverside seatbelt. The B-Pillar I think its called?

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
I personally think its ugly, the GTI wont be so drastically different to truly change my mind. It may be an improvement but i am damn happy i got the mkv. The rabbit is definitely a lot better looking as well.

Cloudlink041

Ready to race!
Im really liking the front. The back i think is ridiculous in these pics. Maybe seeing it in person will do it justice!

That One Dude

Ready to race!
I kinda wanted them to make it look like the EOS... That wouldve been pretty nice...

VWAlex04

Ready to race!
The rear lights are also horrible. I personally think the rounded ones are much better.
I agree with you on the rear lights.

I don't care that much for the shifter. I like the one in the MKV better.

Lima1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was a Mk4 owner and when images of the Mk5 were released most people said it looked crap. I liked the Mk5 from the start. And, now, I like the Mk6 early on too.

The shoulder line and revised wheel arches are spot on I reckon. It's only the rear lights that bother me on the Mk6, but that will change as soon as we start seeing them out on the roads.

Vive le Mk6!!!