GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 6 - Ticking/Clicking noise

vwkiwi

Hi everyone,
I am new to VW, and have a Golf 6 DSG Comfortline - i have 1500 km's on the clock and have a noise im not sure is normal.
I have only just noticed it, it could have been there from the start i am not sure.
Its a clicking/ticking noise, like someone snapping a plastic ruler or similar when i break or accelerate. I have read that it could be a leak detector activating?
Its loud first thing in the morning but i can still notice it after the enging has warmed up - however not as much.
I rang the dealer who said that i should bring it in so they can check it but have to wait 3 weeks to get in. - The dealer asked if it is when i have a/c on.. not sure what that wouldhave to do with it? It sounds like a relay clicking or something from the rear breaks? Im no mechanic.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers

gerard

I have a single click/clunk sound whenever I traverse a speed hump. Still to figure out what it is. Other than that, cars very refined

vwkiwi

Took it in on Saturday

Well, still ticking and clicking along so took it into the dealer on Saturday morning. They were extreemly helpfull, although the problem was not fixed.
I went for a ride with the service manager who heard the noise and confirmed it was not normal. They tightened the suspension and checked under the car but could not fault it - They spent a good two hours on the car which was impressive for driving in off the street on Saturday.

The car is booked in for a full day to try and locate the noise.. will post after problem fixed.

MTL

hi vwkiwi,

any update on your sound issue?

i have the same thing but just take it as part of the car's weirdness.

can you kindly share your journey with us?

thanks!:thanks:

Mick431

Ready to race!
I have a single click/clunk sound whenever I traverse a speed hump. Still to figure out what it is. Other than that, cars very refined

i have this as well! i thot it was the seat belt but i now know its not. did you ever find out what it was?

vwkiwi

Hi guys,
quick update, finally after waiting 3 weeks with the 'service' centre they did a software update that changed the timing of the transmission engaging. It has somewhat hepled, but still in the lover gears, 1&2, i.e if you are in D2 and let your foot off the gas and then re engage the gas there is a click/tick that sounds like a plastic ruler snapping. Am taking it back as am still not happy at all. 5 week old car and having to wait three weeks for a fix that has helped slightly... really not good enough vw.

gerard

Hi guys,
quick update, finally after waiting 3 weeks with the 'service' centre they did a software update that changed the timing of the transmission engaging. It has somewhat hepled, but still in the lover gears, 1&2, i.e if you are in D2 and let your foot off the gas and then re engage the gas there is a click/tick that sounds like a plastic ruler snapping. Am taking it back as am still not happy at all. 5 week old car and having to wait three weeks for a fix that has helped slightly... really not good enough vw.

Is yours a 118TSI?
Noticed that the supercharger clutch chirps whenever you go on the throttle at low revs. Noticeable with windows down

Driver's door rattle getting worse

Clunk in boot area when going over speed bumps. Reported in other forums as well.

Ghost001

Ready to race!
Mr Gee is yours the six speed manual or the seven speed DSG? Are these noises only occuring on the DSG gearbox's?

vwkiwi

Mr Gee, it is the 118 - 7s DSG. Really frustrating and getting no further with the dealer - they really are rubbish. We all know its coming from the transmission but because 'computer says no' they wont do anything about it.. i didnt know this but mechanics dont actually pull anything off cars these days without a computer telling them too.

gerard

Mine's a 118 DSG.
no noise that I can discern from the DSG.

Noise I get is:

a) Supercharger clutch chirp when it engages? at low speeds/rpm

b) Clicking sound in drivers door on rough road. Does not appear when window is wound down.

c) Clunk in boot area when going over speed bumps. (not spare wheel or tool kit)

Latest on Sunday, Car goes forward when DSG selected in reverse. Level ground. OK after recycling gears

gerard

Sounds like this is going to be a common Mk VI problem.

Had booked mine into VW on 12 June. Let you know after

vwkiwi

Hi all,
Thought i would update on the clicking ticking noise.
After the ECU update, there was no change to the noise, in fact it progressively got worse. I would get up to speed merging onto the freeway and the transmission would just sound like it had no idea what to do. It was like it was cycling through gears trying to make a decision which one to use. The car would rev and there would be no drive response. I would turn the car off and start it up, put it in drive and it would take of clicking again. Second issue was pulling up to a red light. while the dsg passes from second to first it would jerk forward.. kind of dangerous so i had to make sure i was parked. far enough from the car in front.
Finally after 7 weeks, going on 8, VW have 'faulted' the transmission and are replacing it. Im told it will be here tomorrow and i should be back in the car by friday.
Good outcome finally, after battling to get them to do something about it..