• DSG

Votes: 186 38.1%
  • 6 speed

Votes: 256 52.5%
  • obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters

kmshultz

StreetSPeed: DSG <> Auto, stop calling it that.

all DSG-haters: i'm 41 and don't want to bother with stick. i'm a DSG lovin' pansy and can paddle shift like there's no tomorrow, put that in your pipe and smoke it...

that being said - subacpw: it's whatever you prefer...

Agree. Don't let anyone talk you into getting the manual because you're 'not a man' or a 'pussy' if you don't. Clearly a childish/self-conscious reason to go for the manual.

I'd say get it if you really need to have that sporting feeling of being connected to your driving experience at ALL TIMES. I guess I am not enough of a driving enthusiast to need that, so I went DSG. It's fun to shift when you are taking your GTI through curves in the hills, but when commuting to work every day in bumper to bumper traffic, I'll take the DSG, thanks.

The manual vs. automatic debate is only slightly different with the GTI (and other VWs/Audis/Porsches) because the dual clutch is such a remarkable transmission. But as others have pointed out, the DSG still won't give you pedal shifting. In the end, you know what best suits your driving needs, not us. :)

khenone1

Passed Driver's Ed
ever since i bought my first car, i've had manual.... occasionally, i would get tired of shifting, however, i would never trade in my car for an automatic.....it's so much more fun (i bet if i had bought a DSG i would be bored with it already, and i've only had my GTI for like 3 weeks) i've driven my friend's DSG GTI and i would never trade my 6MT for it

i traded my 07 DSG in after only a month of ownership because i died inside without a stick

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
you're not a hater, but some others are; despite things like what joema posted regarding F1 cars and many many "dream cars" are non-manual tranny, people still gotta equate masculinity with a clutch pedal... whatever, i'm just tired of it already...

really?

Manual is simply more traditional, and purely a preference thing. DSG is excellent, and if I wanted an auto I'd take that way over a traditional auto. No need to get defensive about it

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
deff go with the 6-sp. it obviously makes it more sporty adn makes your feel more connected to the car. when you drive stick with a car your not just feeling the car more, your gaining a skill that ppl with autos or DSG (same freakin thing) dont have. anyone can jump into a car with dsg/auto and press the acceleration pedal. driving stick makes you a better driver and more aware too. i dont think anyone can argue with that. but i can understand getting an auto/dsg if your 50+ years of age

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not about to re-open the debate of the DSG <> Auto bull crap. If the damn car shifts for you, it's an automatic, I don't care how many clutch packs or computers are running the thing, it's still doing it automatically and therefor is an automatic.

dino75

DSG

Im sure this has been discussed before, but thats not gonna stop me.

Im about to trade in my 2004 WRX (with 104,000 miles) for a 2010 GTI

The wrx is manual, the GTI I have a deposit on is DSG along with autobahn, dynaudio, xenon, well pretty much everything but navi. since i dont want to wait 3-4 months to order it and a garmin is just as good if not better.

My question would be am I going to regret getting the DSG. i test drove both the 6 spd is smooth as butta great shifting but i dont like how light the clutch feels its just feels too soft, but im sure that would help in traffic.

im so torn on weather i want to stick with getting the DSG or get a manual. the quick shifting of the DSG, the ability for my GF to drive it (not that i cant teach her to drive a manual) the ease of not having a clutch in ATL (or any) traffic.

took me 6 months to pick a replacement for the WRX now im stuck on which transmission.
GO BACK TO THE DEALER AND KEEP DRIVE BOTH UNTILL YOU DECIDE, I DROVE MANUAL FOR 16 YERS IN EUROPE, WHEN I MOVED HERE,I GOT THE DSG ON MY 07 GTI, AND NOW ON MY 2010 GTI I LOVE AND I WILL NOT CHANGE FOR A MANUAL, MAN OR PUSSY I DONT GIVE A FUCK WHAT MANUAL FAN THINK, I ACTUALLY BELIVE THEY JUST DIDNT WANT SPEND 1100 MORE FOR THE DSG! BUT THATS ONLY MY OPINION! WHATEVER YOU WILL CHOSE IM SURE YOU WILL LOVE THE CAR!!

austai

An auto -- DSG, whatever -- makes you less of a man? Really? Are you effing kidding me?

To the OP, get the DSG if you regularly deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic. This coming from a "man" who just took delivery of a GTI with a manual.

Ekliptix

I've driven manuals all my life and love them, but this car is shared with my wife who only drives auto. Normally I find autos boring, but the DSG is great and is the best of both worlds for us. Plus it has that great addictive exhaust pop which I never get tired of hearing.

Get which ever you prefer. The DSG's instant shifts are amazing and obviously has the benefit of being a regular auto when needed. Depends on your circumstances really.

ForkInBrain

Passed Driver's Ed
Best advice so far: test drive both. Do it twice if you have to. Above every other option available on the car, DSG vs. MT impacts the driving experience the most. It was the last thing I waffled on too.

I went MT. It put more smiles on my face, which was the reason I chose a GTI over other cars in the first place. But, I don't have a heavy traffic commute wearing me down every day. It didn't hurt that my wife likes to drive a stick too. :happyanim:

jgs5607

Ready to race!
but i can understand getting an auto/dsg if your 50+ years of age

Hey, quit picking on us old guys, I am almost 60 and I prefer the manual:laugh:

It didn't hurt that my wife likes to drive a stick too

Mine used to, but she prefers not to (hasn't driven my GTI yet) good for me, the GTI is MY toy..:thumbup:

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
Best advice so far: test drive both. Do it twice if you have to. Above every other option available on the car, DSG vs. MT impacts the driving experience the most. It was the last thing I waffled on too.

I went MT. It put more smiles on my face...
agreed - best advice is to test drive... OP: you already chose the wrong car once, don't do it again.

notice the pattern? people who love driving MT tend to not want something w/o a clutch pedal. must be like in Avatar, having a brain-connection-with-your-beast or something like that - and it must be hard to give that up. that's fine, stick with manual then. mocking those of us who never had that kind of thing with our cars is immature. if you just tell us how good it is, that's mature...

joema2

Ready to race!
...driving stick makes you a better driver and more aware too. i dont think anyone can argue with that...
If you've never driven a stick, learning that skill might improve your driving a bit.

However the OP has driven a stick for many years -- he's mastered that skill.

After that point, driving a stick doesn't make you better. If it did some F1 drivers would use a stick and blow by their paddle-shifting opponents, empowered by the vast additional skills than only a manual transmission could give them.

This obviously doesn't happen. The highest performance cars on earth use paddle-shifted automated manual transmissions, similar to the DSG. The drivers are the best in the world. If using a manual transmission made them better, they'd use it. They don't.

subacpw

Ready to race!
well im about to clean out my old baby to make way for the new. its a tough bitter sweet day. the WRX has seen me threw much. highschool, the first part of college, learning to drive. ive never had an accident in it.

I do agree driving a manual makes you a better driver, but ive driven it for 6 years. theres nothing more i can learn.

as far as not being a "man" or getting a "sissy" car. if you really wanted the best performing GTI it would have been a DSG that transmission makes the car quicker (idc wat numbers say) when it comes down to it everyone can drive the DSG quicker in a straight line and faster around a track.

I might miss not having a manual i might regret it on some days. But on my normal drives i know im going to be happy with the DSG.

If it was not a dual clutch there would be no way in hell i would get it. if i was looking at another WRX ther auto is a POS. even bmw (except new 335is) there auto is still "wimpy" auto. the DSG is the new tech its, as said before, where all high end performance cars are going.
Ferrari 458 no manual is that a "sissy" car i think not.