GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Carbonio Stage 2 Pipe Problem/Question

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
any update?

Antero128

Ready to race!
Im done dealing with Carbonio. They told me the discolored carbon fiber was normal and that it happens all the time. I asked for a replacement and they told me they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't be able to resell mine since it was used. That statement alone should show you what kind of company they really are. Something tells me that their Ferrari customers or Mercedes customers wouldnt get discolored CF. They even told me all parts are hand made. Im surprised my pipe even made it out of "quality control."

My bottom line, the product concept is great but the company that makes it has some serious customer service problems. APR did what they could to help me but in the end nothing changed.

So a warning to all out there that want to buy the Carbonio intake system.... Be prepared to accept discolored merchandise. I expected better for $500. I sadly cannot recommend them.

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Im done dealing with Carbonio. They told me the discolored carbon fiber was normal and that it happens all the time. I asked for a replacement and they told me they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't be able to resell mine since it was used. That statement alone should show you what kind of company they really are. Something tells me that their Ferrari customers or Mercedes customers wouldnt get discolored CF. They even told me all parts are hand made. Im surprised my pipe even made it out of "quality control."

My bottom line, the product concept is great but the company that makes it has some serious customer service problems. APR did what they could to help me but in the end nothing changed.

So a warning to all out there that want to buy the Carbonio intake system.... Be prepared to accept discolored merchandise. I expected better for $500. I sadly cannot recommend them.

Pretty bootleg. I will warn others I know as well. AWE's product looks pretty nice if you can get past not having carbon piping.

Antero128

Ready to race!
I just want to be clear. I have nothing bad to say about APR. Arin did what he could to help me and basically put me in direct contact with Carbonio. My problem is with Carbonio.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I'm surprised they wrap the pipe with the seam on the top-side in the first place; you'd think for appearances, they'd want any potential flaw to be on the 'hidden' side of the pipe.

DayMan

Ready to race!
Carbon Fiber is great and looks nice but way to $$$$ and the point of this is mainly for looks and it's strength. So what makes Carbonio think that you would be OK with this, and not think that it would affect the structural integrity. I agree my friend that is some BS.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Carbon Fiber is great and looks nice but way to $$$$ and the point of this is mainly for looks and it's strength. So what makes Carbonio think that you would be OK with this, and not think that it would affect the structural integrity. I agree my friend that is some BS.

The fact of the matter is that we are crappy VW drivers and not Lambo or Ferrari drivers. Our carbon fiber pipe can look like crap because we only pay $199 for the pipe. How does a pipe like mine even leave the factory floor if they are all hand made? What kind of quality control do they offer? I've seen plenty of carbon fiber in my day and I have never seen discoloration like this before. For them to say this is normal is just a load of BS. They promised me the pipe was perfectly strong. APR also confirmed this. If it cracks, breaks, and shatters my turbo/engine, I know where to send the bill to.

Like I said, I am done dealing with them. Lesson learned and Carbonio lost a customer for life.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
It is somewhat common for your basic fiberglass resin to degrade in the heat or under UV, (think yellowing carbon fiber hood) but I'd imagine there are quality alternatives that could be used.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
This concerns me, I may go another alternative. The last thin any of us need is a shattered pipe into the Turbo. Not worth the risk.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
There is no structural problems with the intake, it's just a clear coat issue. Fararri had this same issue from the factory on several parts.

We had a few warranty issues where people were keeping clear coat damaged intakes and reselling them. Then customers were calling in for warranty issues on the same item twice. We knew this issue was going on because there were only 10 intakes total affected by the clear coat issue. That sounded like what Carbonio was talking above so let me do some research and get to the bottom of this.

Carbonio

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

A customer was kind enough to bring our attention to this thread. It appears as though there is a lot misinformation here that needs to be clarified. I have re-viewed the chain of e-mails pertaining to this issue and read the entire thread. In response I will address issues in point form to make it easier to follow:

1. Discussions pertaining to the strength of the pipe, fears of breakages, and general uninformed paranoia have no place here as they have no basis on fact or knowledge of advanced composites. The mark on the tube is cosmetic and was there when the tube was produced.

2. The mark on the tube shown in the first post did not appear over time, this is not a structural issue, and has nothing to do with heat exposure. In our e-mails with the customer he freely admits that he will not argue whether the mark was there or not when new. We can only assume that he missed it and then noticed it later as this type of mark (if you understand the manufacturing process and the materials involved) CANNOT develop over time.

Fact is that all of our parts are hand made and there are variations in all of them. Line up 10 parts and they will all have differences making it no different than wood in which no two pieces are alike. Structurally they are all strong which is why a customer must inspect a part prior to using it to determine whether or not they are ok with its natural variations. Using the part represents an acceptance of quality of finish.

3. With regards to the quality of our customer service please note that all of this customers e-mails were answered promptly. Moreover the communication was getting lengthy so for expedience we requested that he call our office on the 26th and we finally sent an e-mail on the 30th of March requesting a contact telephone number so that we may call the customer to discuss further. No reply was ever given until today’s post.

4. The customer seems to think that VW owners are treated differently than our other customers who may happen to have more expensive cars. Fact is that we have been on both sides of the fence many times an as a policy treat all customers equally regardless of how much money they spent or what car they own. Spend enough time with Ferrari and Lambo owners and you will quickly learn that they are just like the VW crowd. We would prefer that if you have proof to the contrary that you call us out otherwise you may want to keep your assumptions to yourself.

So where does this leave the customer? Well if he sends us a phone number or calls us then we will tell him what we were willing to do for him as it was all decided well before today’s posts and bashing of our company.

Lastly for those having a hard time fitting the filter to the inlet scoop it is because you are fighting the fixing clamp when the neck of the filter is stretching to fit. If you back off the hose clamp this gives the filter neck more room to stretch and the problem goes away

Carbonio

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no structural problems with the intake, it's just a clear coat issue. Fararri had this same issue from the factory on several parts.

We had a few warranty issues where people were keeping clear coat damaged intakes and reselling them. Then customers were calling in for warranty issues on the same item twice. We knew this issue was going on because there were only 10 intakes total affected by the clear coat issue. That sounded like what Carbonio was talking above so let me do some research and get to the bottom of this.

Arin,

The clear coat problem we had was isolated to 10 parts all of which were promptly replaced. This is a totally different issue and should not be confused with anything pertaining to the clear. My previous post will have addressed this.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Wow thats great. No email from you asking for my phone number. After all this you are going to try to make me look like the bad guy? I am the one that got a discolored part and you are the one that told me you werent going to replace it because it was totally normal. I will PM you now with my phone number. I expect a phone call and to get this matter finally resolved.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,

A customer was kind enough to bring our attention to this thread. It appears as though there is a lot misinformation here that needs to be clarified. I have re-viewed the chain of e-mails pertaining to this issue and read the entire thread. In response I will address issues in point form to make it easier to follow:

1. Discussions pertaining to the strength of the pipe, fears of breakages, and general uninformed paranoia have no place here as they have no basis on fact or knowledge of advanced composites. The mark on the tube is cosmetic and was there when the tube was produced.

2. The mark on the tube shown in the first post did not appear over time, this is not a structural issue, and has nothing to do with heat exposure. In our e-mails with the customer he freely admits that he will not argue whether the mark was there or not when new. We can only assume that he missed it and then noticed it later as this type of mark (if you understand the manufacturing process and the materials involved) CANNOT develop over time.

Fact is that all of our parts are hand made and there are variations in all of them. Line up 10 parts and they will all have differences making it no different than wood in which no two pieces are alike. Structurally they are all strong which is why a customer must inspect a part prior to using it to determine whether or not they are ok with its natural variations. Using the part represents an acceptance of quality of finish.

3. With regards to the quality of our customer service please note that all of this customers e-mails were answered promptly. Moreover the communication was getting lengthy so for expedience we requested that he call our office on the 26th and we finally sent an e-mail on the 30th of March requesting a contact telephone number so that we may call the customer to discuss further. No reply was ever given until today’s post.

4. The customer seems to think that VW owners are treated differently than our other customers who may happen to have more expensive cars. Fact is that we have been on both sides of the fence many times an as a policy treat all customers equally regardless of how much money they spent or what car they own. Spend enough time with Ferrari and Lambo owners and you will quickly learn that they are just like the VW crowd. We would prefer that if you have proof to the contrary that you call us out otherwise you may want to keep your assumptions to yourself.

So where does this leave the customer? Well if he sends us a phone number or calls us then we will tell him what we were willing to do for him as it was all decided well before today’s posts and bashing of our company.

Lastly for those having a hard time fitting the filter to the inlet scoop it is because you are fighting the fixing clamp when the neck of the filter is stretching to fit. If you back off the hose clamp this gives the filter neck more room to stretch and the problem goes away

1. As I told you in my email, I looked over the pipe as did my family and friends. Nobody noticed it. I didnt want to argue the point because we are past that now. We were all excited and I admit that I may have missed it. If I saw that line before the install I would have contacted you well before the install.

2. You YOURSELF told Arin that the marking on my pipe was more noticable then normal.

3. You did answer my emails however you presented no solution to the problem. As a customer that purchased a premium item I would have expected better from a company like this. I bought the pipe because of the SHOW factor of carbon fiber. I didnt spend full retail for a discolored item.

4. Im sure the rest of the people on the forums can agree, if a lambo customer came to you and purchased an airbox for $1000+ there probably would have NEVER even been a mark on the box to begin with or if there was there would be NO hesitation to replace it. Yet, I have to resort to all this to get a $200 pipe replaced.

5. This should have never been an issue to begin with. You hand make these units and my pipe should have never left the warehouse in the state it was in. It is also not right to tell me that this is totally acceptable for carbon fiber to do this. How about you replace some of your stock photos on your website to show these discolorations?

6. I sent you my phone number. I will post again in this thread about how professional this matter is taken care of.

Last edited: