GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Carbonio Stage 2 Pipe Problem/Question

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I'm not trying to mess with anyone or call anyone out, but I have had several carbon fiber pieces on motorcycles, and 2 of my brothers have carbon hoods, and almost every carbon fiber piece i've seen has a black line like the OP's in the bends of the piece.

Antero128

Ready to race!
I'm not trying to mess with anyone or call anyone out, but I have had several carbon fiber pieces on motorcycles, and 2 of my brothers have carbon hoods, and almost every carbon fiber piece i've seen has a black line like the OP's in the bends of the piece.

That's interesting because ive seen many CF pieces as well with no defects at all. Heck, my stage 1 part is perfect. I dont pay a premium for CF parts to have black stripes on them.

Last edited:

Antero128

Ready to race!
Anyways, I just talked to Carbonio on the phone. They are unwilling to send me a replacement unless I send them my pipe back first. According to Paul I should get a new pipe in 2 weeks or so. Let's see...

edgary

Ready to race!
Anyways, I just talked to Carbonio on the phone. They are unwilling to send me a replacement unless I send them my pipe back first. According to Paul I should get a new pipe in 2 weeks or so. Let's see...

That's horrible customer service all around. Hopefully the two weeks will fly by.

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I ordered my stage II on 3/26 and they said it was backordered for about 2-3 weeks, so we'll see what mine looks like when it gets here, hopefully they don't just send me your old one :p

Antero128

Ready to race!
Paul@Carbonio as asked me to clarify a few things for you guys.

1. I did not get an email from them, however he did forward me an email today which seems legit requesting me to send him my phone number. Dont know if it went to spam the first time or what happened. But let the record show that he did apparently try to contact me again.

2. He also wanted me to clairy my previous statment, "They are unwilling to send me a replacement unless I send them my pipe back first." I understand that there is a backorder and that is not what I mean. I was refering to: even if they had stock he would still not send me a replacment unless they got my part first.

Carbonio

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the clarification to our request.

We appologize if our warranty procedure sounds a little harsh however as Arin eluded to earlier we did have some problems that caused us to change our policy. To elaborate not too long ago some 'enterprising' VW owners took it upon themselves to re-sell defective parts rather than return them to us as requested. These parts were being re-submitted for warranty replacement and in our effort to quickly deal with customer problems we ended up replacing parts based on the fraudulent actions of some of us. The new policy applies to all parts from VW to Lamborghini and is an example of a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone.

DayMan

Ready to race!
1. As I told you in my email, I looked over the pipe as did my family and friends. Nobody noticed it. I didnt want to argue the point because we are past that now. We were all excited and I admit that I may have missed it. If I saw that line before the install I would have contacted you well before the install.

2. You YOURSELF told Arin that the marking on my pipe was more noticable then normal.

3. You did answer my emails however you presented no solution to the problem. As a customer that purchased a premium item I would have expected better from a company like this. I bought the pipe because of the SHOW factor of carbon fiber. I didnt spend full retail for a discolored item.

4. Im sure the rest of the people on the forums can agree, if a lambo customer came to you and purchased an airbox for $1000+ there probably would have NEVER even been a mark on the box to begin with or if there was there would be NO hesitation to replace it. Yet, I have to resort to all this to get a $200 pipe replaced.

5. This should have never been an issue to begin with. You hand make these units and my pipe should have never left the warehouse in the state it was in. It is also not right to tell me that this is totally acceptable for carbon fiber to do this. How about you replace some of your stock photos on your website to show these discolorations?

5. I sent you my phone number. I will post again in this thread about how professional this matter is taken care of.

The first #5 says it all.. You put #5 twice, but regardless how does a company that basically has the word Carbon Fiber as there name let any blemished piece of material out the door. Its called quality control. Again people buy this stuff for the look 98% of the time.. I wouldn't take a car off the dealer lot with a dent and be ok with it.. Same thing. I also felt that whom ever wrote that reply from Carbonio had some attitude.. Way to make your company look good..

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, 95% of carbon fiber parts you see are hand made. This goes for everything from your carbonio intake to boeing dreamliner parts. The layup in these cases is fairly easy (as they're non-structural components for the most part, and you're not dealing with extremely high pressures or vacuums or anything of the sort), although you are dealing with heat. There is the possibility for resin discoloration due to heat and/or chemical exposure, but it would be a gradual issue, not a sudden discoloration unless something was VERY wrong with the resin - and then it would not have been localized like this. What you're likely seeing is thicker resin along the seam of the "flag(s)" cut for the curve - there will be seams top AND bottom, it's not like a welded pipe.

The other 5% (wild guess on %) is formed either through "Pultrusion" (the analog to metal extrusion) or robotic layup, which is basically just automated hand layup but extremely expensive, so it's reserved for specialized components where perfect layup is critical. Think billion dollar war planes. Pultrusion MAY be used for straight sections of tubing, but CANNOT incorporate any bends, so the part in question is not done with this process.

FWIW, I DO work with composites on a day to day basis. I spend most of my time with injection molded polymer, extruded high strength aluminum, machined aluminum, and cast steel (plus a bit of fabric and foam thrown in for fun), so I wouldn't consider myself a composites "expert" but I'm certainly familiar with the material and manufacturing.

leslie

Ready to race!
check out the( itg ) intake's ...

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I am shocked at the inconsiderate and aggressive phrasing in the reply from Carbonio. They could learn a few things from APR and the rest of our group of preferred vendors.

Even in slights and jabs, be professional and polite. Especially to the (ex-)customer.

You came off like a guy making this stuff in his garage; personally vested and angry about it.

Last edited:

DayMan

Ready to race!
Glad I went with BSH, I almost bought the Carbonio/APR intake...I'm so glad I didn't in light of the issues.

Me too. I went with the EVOMS. They were really great to deal with on the phone, and seem like they would take care of any issue if there is one.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Me too. I went with the EVOMS. They were really great to deal with on the phone, and seem like they would take care of any issue if there is one.

The BSH and Evoms intakes seem like its nothing more than a filter replacement. They use the factory ram air scoop so where is the improvement coming from?