GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil analysis back..

finklejag

Ready to race!
Interesting. I never even considered that VW might use another oil on brand new engines other than the one they use at dealerships. I know my dealer used Castrol Syntec 5w-40 for my oil change.

The Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is made in the USA now. So is the Castrol SLX OE 5W-30 the dealer stocks. The Castrol SLX LL III is made in Europe. It comes in Liter bottles.

The Edge line in Europe consist of

10W-60 Sport
0W-40 Sport
5W-30
0W-30
10W-60
5W-40 Turbo Diesel
0w-30 Turbo Diesel

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
The Castrol Edge 5W-30 we get in the US is way too thin for our engines. It's one of the thinnest 5W-30 oils. It has a viscosity of 9.8 @ 100c. The Castrol oils that VW stock at the dealers have a viscosity of 12.1 @ 100c. The VW 502.00 spec calls for a oil with a HT/HS rate of over 3.5. The US Edge is probably 2.9 or lower. I wouldn't use the US Edge during the warranty period.

Great information, thank you for the post!

What are you running in your own GTI?

finklejag

Ready to race!
I will be doing my first oil change in June. I want to use a 504.00 oil to help with the valve deposits. I will either use the Castrol SLX LL-3 5W-30 from the dealer, or Pento High Performance III 5W-30 from a VW parts shop down the street. The Pentosin is $3.75 more for 5 liters.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
So as far as chemical and composition, is the SLX LL3 dealer oil great or just good, especially concerning the FSI valve deposit problems?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
The Castrol Edge 5W-30 we get in the US is way too thin for our engines. It's one of the thinnest 5W-30 oils. It has a viscosity of 9.8 @ 100c. The Castrol oils that VW stock at the dealers have a viscosity of 12.1 @ 100c. The VW 502.00 spec calls for a oil with a HT/HS rate of over 3.5. The US Edge is probably 2.9 or lower. I wouldn't use the US Edge during the warranty period.

I read the direct injection PDF - thanks for sharing that. I'm to understand that 'Euro 4' refers to or is inclusive of 507 00 approved oils?

On page 12 of this document:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/TS...ich_Meet_Volkswagen_Oil_Quality_Standards.pdf

Castrol Edge 5w30 is listed as 504 00/507 00.. But the Castrol Edge 5w30 we can purchase at B&Ms around town isn't the same stuff?

(If that's true, I can't begin to tell you how f*cking thrilled I am with Castrol for the shenanigans)

Is there a USA ONLY list of 504/507?

------

Funny, I went back to BITOG to revisit a thread I had marked on 2.0T that was a little too new when I found it.

Turns out, it's your thread.

Last edited:

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
For Mobil 1, you would want to use the European Formula 0W40 - the one with the gold label, as it has the necessary certifications.

well i changed my oil myself at 5800k and since i had some mobil 1 5w30 laying around ive decided to use it since i already had it, im sure 0w40 would of been better but it doesnt make THAT BIG of a difference, or it does? :(

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
well i changed my oil myself at 5800k and since i had some mobil 1 5w30 laying around ive decided to use it since i already had it, im sure 0w40 would of been better but it doesnt make THAT BIG of a difference, or it does? :(

Well, VW calls for a 40-weight oil (the W40) in our cars... you ought to be ok (for now), but I would just drain the oil and refill with the proper-weight and spec oil if you can.

finklejag

Ready to race!
I read the direct injection PDF - thanks for sharing that. I'm to understand that 'Euro 4' refers to or is inclusive of 507 00 approved oils?

Castrol Edge 5w30 is listed as 504 00/507 00.. But the Castrol Edge 5w30 we can purchase at B&Ms around town isn't the same stuff?

(If that's true, I can't begin to tell you how f*cking thrilled I am with Castrol for the shenanigans)

Is there a USA ONLY list of 504/507?

That's the European Castrol Edge. The US version is a different animal.

The Euro 4 oils are low SAP. If you see one of these specs on the bottle. It's a Euro 4 oil.

VW 504.00/507.00
BMW LL-04
MB 229.51

The only two 504.00 oils you can find easy are the Castrol SLX Professional LL-3 5W-30 from the dealer, and Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 from Pep Boys. The rest can be bought online, but the shipping will kill you!

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
How about Pentosin (German) Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil?

I am coming up on 10k mile oil change service soon. At first 5k mile, I had VW change the oil for me. From now on, I will do it on my own.

What kind of oil would you recommend me to use?

I have AWE Turboback and S3 IC with AWE IC Hoses if that counts.