GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 Door or 4 Door

Epic800

Ready to race!
Well I am getting a GTI coming up soon for grad present + just plain out needing a new vehicle. I am torn between the 2 door and 4 door. I like the sportier look in the 2 door. Though I will be transporting a lot of stuff to and from college so the 4 door seems to be more logical. Any suggestions?

r56mcs

Ready to race!
You don't lose cargo capacity with the rear seats down in a 2DR. 2DR definitely looks sportier, IEO (in everybody's opinion, my coined acronym).
The only thing better in a 4DR is that the seatbelt is not hard to reach like in a 2DR because of the smaller front doors and closer B-pillar.

I would go with a 2DR while you can - before you have children, the real baggage that need rear doors to get in and out.

Epic800

Ready to race!
You don't lose cargo capacity with the rear seats down in a 2DR. 2DR definitely looks sportier, IEO (in everybody's opinion, my coined acronym).
The only thing better in a 4DR is that the seatbelt is not hard to reach like in a 2DR because of the smaller front doors and closer B-pillar.

I would go with a 2DR while you can - before you have children, the real baggage that need rear doors to get in and out.

Lmao thanks alot. That was of great help.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Although it's the same cargo capacity the 4 door gives you much more loading flexibility. I always throw my guitar in the backseat and would find it fairly annoying to have to use the hatch or swing seats forward every time. The 4dr has a better safety rating and I personally think it looks better.

Epic800

Ready to race!
Yeah loading flexibility was one issue I was thinking of. I would hate having to drop the seat every time I wanted to load something and I didn't want to open the hatch.

daihard

Ready to race!
Yeah loading flexibility was one issue I was thinking of. I would hate having to drop the seat every time I wanted to load something and I didn't want to open the hatch.

I was torn between 2 door and 4 door, too, until my wife quickly gave me the final call. LOL

She wanted a 4-door because of the added flexibility with loading stuff. I would have resisted if we'd been buying a BMW 3-series, which looks drastically different between 2-door and 4-door. Fortunately, IMHO, the 4-door GTI looks just as good as, if not as sporty as, the 2-door version. :)

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

My siblings all had coupes during college, and it ended up being a PITA. I actually learned from their lessons and had sedans throughout my driving life...up until I got the GTI this year. See, my reasoning was this: it's a freaking hatch, so basically there's a door where a trunk is supposed to be. Once you fold down all the back seats, the hatch grants you access to the whole back area since the car is so small. And honestly, it's not that hard to pull up a lever and move either the driver or passenger seat forward to get you access to the back seat. Yeah, sometimes my rear seat passengers joke about how it's a biotch to get to the back. Well, I DON'T GIVE A EFF. You wanted a ride, so DEAL WITH IT. To quote a famous person, "Be a man...do the right thing."

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I got 2 door - no kids, I seldom use the back seat because all my friends drive, and if we're piling a bunch of people into a car I'd just as well ride with somebody else, because we're probably going drinking ;)

But the GTI is great because the back seats are actually usable - I fit in 'em just fine at 6' with long legs, and I have plenty of head room. In my friend's bug, my head hits the ceiling and the front seat has to be shoved way forward. Don't even ask about the G35 coupe I test drove!

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
It all depends on the number family and friends that are likely to use the car. Its more of a pain in the backside to get out of the car so someone can get into the back seat, especially in bad weather. ;)

quarantine

Ready to race!
i went with the 4 door because I got a toddler. But the 2 door is sportier looking.
if you think you will be carrying people around and need cargo space at the same time go with a 4 door.
If it will only be you and the cargo go with a 2 door. With seats down the 2 door has exceptional cargo space

thisisaustin9221

Ready to race!
go with the 2 door! i don't mind putting down the seats, just a little extra work thats worth it to me to not ruin the look of the car. Sorry guys, but the 4 doors just ruin the whole look of the car to me just my opinion though, I just think it looks stretched out, long and ugly.

I understand why older people, esp. with children would go with it but if you're young and you want a sportier look than the 4 door then go with the one you want

kalel

Passed Driver's Ed
go with the 2 door! i don't mind putting down the seats, just a little extra work thats worth it to me to not ruin the look of the car. Sorry guys, but the 4 doors just ruin the whole look of the car to me just my opinion though, I just think it looks stretched out, long and ugly.

I understand why older people, esp. with children would go with it but if you're young and you want a sportier look than the 4 door then go with the one you want

I must be in the minority. In pics I thought the 2 door looked better, but when I got to the dealer, I changed my mind quickly. Too much "nothing" going on behind the front doors. Looks unbalanced and awkward.

Last edited:

ShahulX

Ready to race!
I did 4 because I have a toddler as well and a second coupe... But I'd get the sedan regardless.... I think they look about the same in all honesty... Sometimes on the darker cars I have to look for the rear handles for a second to see if it's a 2dr or 4...

If your planning on getting a new car in a few years then the coupe would be fine... If you think your gonna keep it several years then get the 4dr because you never know what life will be like in 4 years