GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket parts for the TDI?

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
hey i wanted to know if anyone has gotten a tune yet and or intake i am looking at bolth of these when i have broken in my new motor

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
Aftermarket intakes are NOT recommended for the TDI. The stock box and filter breathe plenty good. Especially do not use an oiled filter. That's bad news for your MAF and warranty.

lesvw123

Ready to race!
Aftermarket intakes are NOT recommended for the TDI. The stock box and filter breathe plenty good. Especially do not use an oiled filter. That's bad news for your MAF and warranty.

i have used a k&n panel filter which are oiled in all my tdi they have not given me any problems over the years i even leave it in when it goes for a service ,

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
i have used a k&n panel filter which are oiled in all my tdi they have not given me any problems over the years i even leave it in when it goes for a service ,

i agree with the filter and the dealer wont say anything unless it causes a problem and then its your fault and no one wants to buy a maf

http://www.parleysdieselperformance...ke-system-for-2009-2010-vw-jetta-2-dot-0l-tdi

i was looking at this one it does offer a dry filter which is what i would rock just wanted to se what people have dun my plans so far is to tune and intake and drop it on some nice wheels

hobojoker

DON'T use an aftermarket filter or try to use a CAI. These are just stupid on a TDI, they don't offer gains and really just waste your money. Diesels are not tuned the same way as gasoline engines.

Head on over to www.tdiclub.com - there is much more information there about tuning and modifying your TDIs.

As well, exhausts are completely useless with the DPF, and the 3 cats. They barely barely increase noise and don't increase exhaust flow. If you really want to waste you money on one, just get a straight pipe fitted and put tips on it, save yourself money.

As far as tuning goes, DO NOT use a tuning box. Some people will say that they will detune over time, but that's not the main reason not to. They work by tricking your ecu to give increased output through your hpfp. This is a sensitive item on the new TDIs and is a HUGE expense if it fails ($7,000-$11,000) - go with a REAL tune. The tuners right now who are well known diesel tuners and can tune 2009/2010 TDI engines are Stratmosphere, and Malone Tuning. F1 tuning can tune them as well as Revo and Street tuning(?). Revo tunes them as they do gassers, they are not tuned properly and they don't have the experience with diesels. I would not recommend them.

The only diesel tuners I would recommend are Stratmosphere and Malone at the moment. I'm sure there will be more tuners arriving in the future, and the really good tuners are still testing and haven't released anything yet.

As well, it makes a difference if you have a DSG or 6-speed. The DSG limits the amount of torque the engine will output, if you tune your engine and don't tune your DSG (there is a tune for it, around $900 or so? I don't know much about it, look it up yourself) you will get a very minimal bump in power. There is a long thread on TDIClub under the MkVI subsection about it with before and after Dynos and more.

Last edited:

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
ok i heard good things about revo on the tdi forum but i liked the numbers for uni better i will look into the others

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
yea uni has some of the best numbers on the market at the current time and i have had luck with uni in the past one of my friends told me they started with diesels back years ago before they blew up and now tend to put alot into the 1.8t-2.0fsi or tsi's now i dont know if any of you have had them before but they claim 180hp 295lb-tq

hobojoker

Pretty much everyone makes the same claim for the TDIs, it's mostly a matter of whether they can deliver, how the power is shifted (or whether it's shifted at all for that matter) price, reliability, and service.

A lot of people dislike F1 tuning, I don't, but they have been very flaky about producing a dyno graph of their tune.

Revo tuning has tuned a couple cars and the people who have the tune enjoy it, it's just that the way it's tuned it not ideal. Basically all they do is shift the power delivery further up the RPM range. So instead of reaching maximum torque at 1750 RPM, you get it at 2100-2200ish. They also move your maximum horsepower up from being at 3750 to 4300ish rpm. That's not how you tune a diesel. If you're fine with that, then go for it, some people are definitely happy with it. There aren't too many options currently, which is why I believe they are getting more business, as well as there is one dealer which allows them to be Revo tuned under warrenty - which is huge.

That said, uni is banned from tdiclub for a reason.

So again, the only dealers with a good reputation, who I would recommend (it's your car, you can do whatever you want regardless of what's best or what's good for your car) being tuned only by stratmosphere, and malone right now. Obviously things may change, but those are the only two worthwhile right now.

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
Pretty much everyone makes the same claim for the TDIs, it's mostly a matter of whether they can deliver, how the power is shifted (or whether it's shifted at all for that matter) price, reliability, and service.

A lot of people dislike F1 tuning, I don't, but they have been very flaky about producing a dyno graph of their tune.

Revo tuning has tuned a couple cars and the people who have the tune enjoy it, it's just that the way it's tuned it not ideal. Basically all they do is shift the power delivery further up the RPM range. So instead of reaching maximum torque at 1750 RPM, you get it at 2100-2200ish. They also move your maximum horsepower up from being at 3750 to 4300ish rpm. That's not how you tune a diesel. If you're fine with that, then go for it, some people are definitely happy with it. There aren't too many options currently, which is why I believe they are getting more business, as well as there is one dealer which allows them to be Revo tuned under warrenty - which is huge.

So again, the only dealers with a good reputation, who I would recommend (it's your car, you can do whatever you want regardless of what's best or what's good for your car) being tuned only by stratmosphere, and malone right now. Obviously things may change, but those are the only two worthwhile right now.

well i thank you for you input and you have alot which is good i havnt figured things out i am looking at uni because i know a uni tuning dealer thats why i was thinking of them they will have revo soon so who knows and i dont want to send my stuf to some random company and after what you sed about revo they are a complete write off now for me but at this time i am looking i know what i am doing when it comes to suspension i just want to figure out with the tuning and if you have the links for the intake thread and the uni i would like to know what happen because if its that bad i dont want to get involved i only like revo because i love the ability to switch between the tunes

lesvw123

Ready to race!

my remap i had done here in the uk gives me power and torque all the way to the redline its smooth all the way and goes like hell and still gives good fuel economy ,i have tried a simota and a k&n induction kit and have gone back to the k&n panel as it feels much smoother

hobojoker

Don't use K&N filters at all. Stick with the stock. K&N filters have been shown in independent lab tests to increase airflow, but also increase particulate flow by up to 50% - as well once they collect a small amount of particulate, the increase in airflow is removed (over 1000ish miles).

The stock air filter breathes well, and doesn't allow particulates or OIL particles from oiled filters in to "damage" the rather fragile MAF sensor.

If you really want a link I'll post you one.. but head over to TDIClub and do a search for K&N filters, you will receive hundreds of threads and every one will tell you NOT to use them.

If you'd rather just read a FAQ then head over to Myturbodiesel.com - he has some of the best and up to date information about VW diesels.

Intake and CAI threads pop up every month and every year, and they always receive the same answer.

hobojoker

That's what europeans can do =( nobody in America has been able to tune numbers like that since most tunes are not being made to account for DPF removal.