GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sweaty Back?

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Is it just me or do others find there backs get sweaty during hot weather driving with the leather seats?

I find myself leaning forward and pulling the shirt in and out to fan my back.

Never thought I'd find the need for ventilated seats but...

tehHooligan

Ready to race!
Leather just doesn't breathe, unless it's perforated. Thats life. I even get a bit hot with cloth seats sometimes.

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
The one concern I had about getting the leather was exactly this, but so far, it hasn't been a problem at all, despite the heat we've seen in the northeast lately. Of course, it probably helps that the car sits in my office's parking garage during the day, but I've also found that the A/C in this car works better than any car I've ever owned (granted, I've only had two other cars, hah).

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Luckily it doesn't get that hot where I live and I'm also garaged at work and home.

Perhaps you should put a towel on the seatback for those hotter days?

I have to say, our HVAC system is outstanding. This is my 16th car and it heats and cools exceptionally well and fast.

SirFlux

Passed Driver's Ed
heh, I debated this too. I sweat more with the leather seats but I like them so much more than the cloth. I've tested both. As some of the above posters stated, the AC is pretty strong which helps. It's not just you.

Try parking the car in the shade.

blueiguana

Ready to race!
Is it just me or do others find there backs get sweaty during hot weather driving with the leather seats?

I find myself leaning forward and pulling the shirt in and out to fan my back.

Never thought I'd find the need for ventilated seats but...

Yea, leather seats can be crappy during warm weather

TDI110

O_o
Eh, a fact of life, slap a towel when you sit and put it in the trunk when you get out. Then when parked put the towel on the seat and get one of those reflective or paper sun shields for the windshield. It may not look pretty but it works.

shahabdin

Ready to race!
Yup, I agree with TDI110, danielJ and SirFlux.
The leather's a real prob, textiles are as well but not as bad, but yeah I've also noticed that the VWs a/c is stronger than other brands. Sometimes on just fan level 2 at 18C is too strong, freeeeeeezing, I got out of the car the other day with my hands literally frozen ice cold..... :p
Out here especially now in July/August it's impossible with the leather seats, sweaty backs, sweaty thighs if ur wearing shorts, ahhhh!!!! Hate that feeling :/

Last edited:

wildcars

Ready to race!
The worst feeling is here in South Africa, temp here is rediculous!

The most i hate is the stickiness!

pvivino

Ready to race!
Just crank up the AC and you won't sweat. I prefer the leather but it is warmer. If the rest of you is cold your back won't sweat as much.

The GTI AC is pretty good. As a general rule most American cars have better AC then European/Asian cars. The AC compressor on many American cars is way oversized and works well even when idling. My 7-year old GMC pickup is still colder than my GTI - but I don't buy cars just for the AC, and everything else in the GTI is built better.

Marvin

Ready to race!
Frankly I abhor leather seats and have never entertained them for those reasons some of you have found. Also in some cars they puddle badly making the car look old before its time. To my my the leather option is a waste of money and sitting on that material in hot or cold weather conditions says it all, really.