GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The dangers of increasing GTI turbo-boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

honkbruno

Ready to race!
Biased judgment. Arin did not provide any "proof" with empirical data or VW supplied spec either. And he's more trustworthy only because of his APR badge.

Biased judgement? Hmm, let me re-read my post. Yep, I never said that Arin provided proof either.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
BigRob - 2 VW dealers in Illinois alone do APR tunes in their service bay, might want to check your facts on that.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Just found an Audi dealership and another 1 or 2 VW's in NY... looks like dealers are definitely doing APR.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I didn't say that they didn't:

"2) No, dealers in America even tune vehicles with APR tunes."

The comma is important when reading the sentence. It was a rebuttal to the #2 point made in the quoted statement from cnimativ .

msm00b

Ready to race!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

The comma is important when reading the sentence. It was a rebuttal to the #2 point made in the quoted statement from cnimativ .

touche! my bad man, doing a million things at once with work and this craziness.

oddspider

Ready to race!
No sh!t. So if APR can't be trusted 100% due to conflict of interest and VW won't say sh!t, what do you do? Pray?

That's where the old saying " you gotta pay to play"

Neither vw or apr are stupid enough to guarantee any kind of modification. There is someone always out there that can break it.

The whole argument in this thread is about harddriven and his outlandish claims and his lack of competent sources.

I personally believe that apr based their statements on actual testing and customer satisfaction/ results. If they didn't then we would be hearing about it.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
touche! my bad man, doing a million things at once with work and this craziness.

No worries. It's not like the interwebz are serious business or anything.:laugh:

The fact that APR is actually sold by dealerships is one of the reasons, amongst many others, that I went their direction for the tuning.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
No worries. It's not like the interwebz are serious business or anything.:laugh:

The fact that APR is actually sold by dealerships is one of the reasons, amongst many others, that I went their direction for the tuning.

Agreed. As I've said before on here, VW is the only maintstream manufacturer who has dealerships doing anything like this with ECU flashing.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Agreed. As I've said before on here, VW is the only maintstream manufacturer who has dealerships doing anything like this with ECU flashing.

Does the dealership performing the mod sign an affidavit stating that the manufacturer's warranty will remain in full effect - even if the added boost pressure (from the tune) is suspected of causing the failure?

Or does the purchaser sign one stating that he/she understands that the manufacturer's warranty on the drive train will be voided under such circumstance?

Perhaps you could call and inquire.

Neither Audi nor VW would sanction something like that.

I also doubt that you'll find any dealer who would do anything beyond the basic flash.

This tuner provides his own 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the cars he modifies, which speaks volumes about the tuner's level of confidence in his modifications.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforumfiles/showthread.php?t=571

cnimativ

Ready to race!

The only VW sponsered APR vehicle I know is GTI V50 limited edition sold in Singapore only, came with Stage 1 mod STOCK.

Dealer tuned vehicles are not VW sponsored/acknowledged.

That's where the old saying " you gotta pay to play"

Neither vw or apr are stupid enough to guarantee any kind of modification. There is someone always out there that can break it.

The whole argument in this thread is about harddriven and his outlandish claims and his lack of competent sources.

I personally believe that apr based their statements on actual testing and customer satisfaction/ results. If they didn't then we would be hearing about it.

Sure, harddriven might be making wild conjectures and claims supported only by publicist data, but no one yet has been able to disprove his claim by siting any scientific technical data. Or to disprove the claims cited by his source.

"lol c&d quote" or "wikipediarofl" is the weakest form of support to strengthen your argument.

And saying 'believe' APR based their statement is as good as saying you been successfully marketed by APR. I know I am.

At the end, harddriven might make wild claims from non concrete data, but no one has been able to validate his claim yet. Not APR, not the fanboiz, not VW.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
The only VW sponsered APR vehicle I know is GTI V50 limited edition sold in Singapore only, came with Stage 1 mod STOCK.

Dealer tuned vehicles are not VW sponsored/acknowledged.

Sure, harddriven might be making wild conjectures and claims supported only by publicist data, but no one yet has been able to disprove his claim by siting any scientific technical data. Or to disprove the claims cited by his source.

"lol c&d quote" or "wikipediarofl" is the weakest form of support to strengthen your argument.

And saying 'believe' APR based their statement is as good as saying you been successfully marketed by APR. I know I am.

At the end, harddriven might make wild claims from non concrete data, but no one has been able to validate his claim yet. Not APR, not the fanboiz, not VW.

Anyone on this board is welcome to research this issue on their own.

All high performance (more than 211 HP) VW/Audi 2.0T applications utilize the older (EA113) engine - in most case with a host of internal modifications that were specifically designed to increase engine reliability and longevity under elevated boost pressures (and the increased operating temperatures that accompany them).

I've listed what those parts are elsewhere in this thread.

Wouldn't VW simply have dialed more boost into the EA888 (GTI engine) for their new R20 if doing so would have produced the power and reliability they desire?

Instead they went to the trouble of fitting that model with a different engine (fortified version of the EA113), which brings with it added logistics costs and a lot of extra hassles and expenses.

And the "Singapore car" that people keep talking about only makes just 37 more HP than their stock GTI. That's a far cry from some of the numbers that have been floating around on the board.

Honestly, I encourage anyone who wants to mod their GTI to do so and I recommend APR.

I likely won't do that, since I prefer to remain more conservative with this particular engine - based on what I've read.

One thing I will note is that some tuners offer special warranties of their own - at no additional charge - which says a lot about their confidence in their products. In essence, those tuners are truly "putting their money where mouths are."

Example: http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforumfiles/showthread.php?t=571

Last edited:

cnimativ

Ready to race!
Status
Not open for further replies.