GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkVI TSI v.s. GTI

Saxman19

Hi guys & gals,

My new '11 Mk VI 1.4TSI is an enthusiastic little puppy. It's smart, knows where it's going, how fast it's going, and how much further it can go. It can run circles around bigger cars, and is loves to squeese through tight spaces. It's a Golf in every way, but in a sense it's kind of confused about what kind of a Golf it is. It thinks it looks meaner than it really is, and it thinks it runs faster than it really does.

My TSI thinks it's a GTI, and it's my fault really. Just tonight it saw a red Z4 zoom past it up a hill, so it decided to give chase. Thanks to some clever maneuvering at the downhill, my puppy dog won, as the red Z4 got stuck behind some other cars. Every since, it ecstatically decided that it was a GTI in TSI clothing, and roared(yelped) home the rest of the way.

So dear fellow Golf enthusiasts, please help me convince my TSI that it is only a fraction of what a GTI is by telling it what options the GTI's got that it does not, and how a GTI can perform around corners that it can't.

So, overall, what % of a GTI is a TSI? is it 70% GTI? 80%? maybe even 90%?

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
At first I thought you were kidding....

Now I see your nuts.

I'd say 60%

Elitefoo

Ready to race!
In before PENROSE..

This sounds like a story I would tell...

Hi guys & gals,

My new '11 Mk VI 1.4TSI is an enthusiastic little puppy. It's smart, knows where it's going, how fast it's going, and how much further it can go. It can run circles around bigger cars, and is loves to squeese through tight spaces. It's a Golf in every way, but in a sense it's kind of confused about what kind of a Golf it is. It thinks it looks meaner than it really is, and it thinks it runs faster than it really does.

My TSI thinks it's a GTI, and it's my fault really. Just tonight it saw a red Z4 zoom past it up a hill, so it decided to give chase. Thanks to some clever maneuvering at the downhill, my puppy dog won, as the red Z4 got stuck behind some other cars. Every since, it ecstatically decided that it was a GTI in TSI clothing, and roared(yelped) home the rest of the way.

So dear fellow Golf enthusiasts, please help me convince my TSI that it is only a fraction of what a GTI is by telling it what options the GTI's got that it does not, and how a GTI can perform around corners that it can't.

So, overall, what % of a GTI is a TSI? is it 70% GTI? 80%? maybe even 90%?

Saxman19

At first I thought you were kidding....

Now I see your nuts.

I'd say 60%

Can anyone give it some serious thoughts like you give to discussions of the Golf against cars of other makes and even other classes in this "Mk6 vs.." section"?

Granted that the TSI's 1.4 engine is about 60% the size of the GTI's 2.0, but if the whole car feels only 60%, then that means it's 60% as fast, 60% as good around corners, 60% less practical, 60% value for money, and 60% as good looking.

Top speed is 137 mph/220kmph v.s. 148mph/238kmph, NOT 60%.
0-60mph is 8 sec v.s. 6.9 sec, NOT 60%.
Power wise NOT 60%.
I could go on, but I think we all know the stats.

Most of the time it's on a commute anyway, and I don't think the ride quality or maneuverability of the TSI or ease of driving it under those circumstances are 60% that of the GTI. Even when you consider practicality, all Golfs (other than the Plus) are identical.

So come on. I'd like to get more detailed opinions, maybe from someone who'se taken both to the track and made a serious comparison of the performance from them, or someone who's owned or ridden in both.

wildcars

Ready to race!
This is stupid.. How can you compare..

GTI is 200% better than a 1.4TSI in all aspects, besides fuel efficiency..

It's like saying, would a Subaru Impreza 2.0 be faster than a Subaru Impreza STI??

What do you think?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Can anyone give it some serious thoughts like you give to discussions of the Golf against cars of other makes and even other classes in this "Mk6 vs.." section"?

Granted that the TSI's 1.4 engine is about 60% the size of the GTI's 2.0, but if the whole car feels only 60%, then that means it's 60% as fast, 60% as good around corners, 60% less practical, 60% value for money, and 60% as good looking.

Top speed is 137 mph/220kmph v.s. 148mph/238kmph, NOT 60%.
0-60mph is 8 sec v.s. 6.9 sec, NOT 60%.
Power wise NOT 60%.
I could go on, but I think we all know the stats.

Most of the time it's on a commute anyway, and I don't think the ride quality or maneuverability of the TSI or ease of driving it under those circumstances are 60% that of the GTI. Even when you consider practicality, all Golfs (other than the Plus) are identical.

So come on. I'd like to get more detailed opinions, maybe from someone who'se taken both to the track and made a serious comparison of the performance from them, or someone who's owned or ridden in both.

I could care less, since this car is not offered in America, I'm not going to waste my time looking for specs.

****EDIT***: Its 6:15am here at Mercedes and I have to make 209 global cars today, if I have time I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

gkallis

Ready to race!
i think u need help lol

gkallis

Ready to race!
i think hes doing crystal meth lol opium is pussy shit haa

Saxman19

Nevermind. Seems like I stepped into the hardcore elitist snob-anyone-without-a-GTI site by mistake instead of a proper Golf enthusiast site I was looking for.