GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone go to a GTI from a 335?

Hulley1

Ready to race!
I've worked for BMW for the last 16yrs and I'm heavily looking at the GTI. I have a 08' 328i sport/prem that is a great car. It's gonna go to the wife when I get my GTI. Funny though, my wife says the GTI looks like a "tree hugger" car! She clearly doesnt know jack squat about cars! My last GTI was a 96' VR6 and I loved that car, and I also have very fond memories rippin through the streets in a 84' GTI. Oh the love, I miss it.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I like the direction this thread is going. I bought the GTI because I needed a commuter at the time, but also wanted a little "kick" and I knew the APR tuning options existed and still kept the car a daily driver. I like to think of the car as a "Sleeper". Your everyday non-car enthusiast has no idea- but they will comment on the nice interior, wheels etc. And your car-enthusiast, just knows the GTI..

My favorite compliment came from an older guy in a 540, his wife was in the front seat, he was filling up his car and walked over when he saw me pull up and told me about the GTI he owned back in the day (mk1 I believe), and how impressed he was with the car, and then we shared a few words.

I always love the GTI based on looks and numbers, but when I actually drove it, I crossed off the used 328/335 on my list!

SteveMD

Ready to race!
I have both. The 335i is a great tuning platform. I have a grand total of $345 in mods on mine and it runs in the 12.7s right off the street, on 40psi RFTs with traction control on and 3/4 tank of gas in the tank.

If you are going to chip it (you would be nuts not to) look at the JB3 from www.burgertuning.com or the Vishnu Proceed form www.procedtuning.com Both companies have basically been tuning the N54 since it hit the streets, are continuously improving their products, have probably millions of miles logged in N54 vehicles and are generally accepted as the tunes if you want to do a piggyback.

For a full flash, look at GIAC and Dinan however the piggies are providing the fastest and quickest times on dragtimes.

This is my second E90 so if you have any questions regarding the purchase of one, let me know and I'll be happy to help. Note that the 2010 and later '35' vehicles have a different engine (N55) with a single turbo (the N54 had twin turbos). The N55 is proving to be harder to tune to the same kind of level as the N54.

Enjoy it.

This isn't the exact comparison you are looking for, but I'll throw in my two cents. I was coming out of an '07 750Li when premium had just started coming off five bucks a gallon and I just didn't feel like supporting the "oil cartel" like that, anymore. I heard that the new '09 VW diesel was getting 49 mpg, and, having a warm spot in my heart for a 1987 Scirroco I owned as a youth, I bought the Jetta wagon. Loved it, didn't miss the 750. And best part was, I could never remember where my last fill up was.

When the 2010 GTI got Automobile Magazine's "Car Of The Year Award," I bought.

This GTI has me remembering why I fell in love with my Scirroco. It's everything I love about German performance cars, without the price. This GTI is a lot of car for the money. Is it the fastest? No. Status? Depends on who you ask. Doesn't matter - the car is a blast to drive AND it's practical.

I don't mean to come off as arrogant, but I can drive (almost) any car I want. I only tell you this to put things in perspective. I enjoy the fact that my friends laughed at my choice and I don't feel any less of a baller (man) when I pull up alongside a Bentley. I enjoy getting in to my GTI as much as any car I have ever owned. And, for the most part, I like the attitude of the people that own the brand.

I took a test drive in a 335 just before buying the GTI. The 335 is a brilliant car. That being said, I kind of like flying under the "status" radar these days. The GTI is: luxury (german), performance and austerity. Tell me who else is building this combination?

surprised the CC din't stand out for you....

GIT MO

Passed Driver's Ed
surprised the CC din't stand out for you....

If you are referring to the VW CC, it did. But only after I read one of the atuo mags that said that the CC with R line features was perhaps the way to go for an old guy like me. And, quite frankly, why run around like an old guy in a CC, when I can casue some real trouble in a GTI! did I say I love that mid range power? squirt - squirt - squirt down the freeway!

bozaman

Ready to race!
...did I say I love that mid range power? squirt - squirt - squirt down the freeway!

this is a perfectly accurate description of the fun times the gti brings to the equation! all the better for us "in the know".

;)

GIT MO

Passed Driver's Ed
The fact that the GTI won car of the year by Automobile magazine is also what made me take a second look. I remember begging my dad for a 16v GTI in 1991, that was my dream car. Unfortunately that never happened, was too expensive for a 16 year old, and in hindsight he was right for not making it happen. This model reminds me of that car more than any other GTI in between then and now. As I said before, the "status" thing means nothing to me, I have always viewed cars by what's inside and underneath and never by looks alone or emblems.
GTI Mo I hear ya, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of explaining to do with friends. My wife can't understand it, she only see's a hatchback economy car!

Oh, your wife too? When I first brought the car home my wife thought I was crazy. She said "I looked like a young asian guy running around in that thing."
I just kept my mouth shut and used my husband/jedi mind bending technique on her - she RELUCTANTLY likes it, now. Women are funny that way. Yeah, women are really funny - Ha Ha. Don't get me started.

Oh, your wife too? When I first brought the car home my wife thought I was crazy. She said "I looked like a young asian guy running around in that thing."
I just kept my mouth shut and used my husband/jedi mind bending technique on her - she RELUCTANTLY likes it, now. Women are funny that way. Yeah, women are really funny - Ha Ha. Don't get me started.

women always make fun of something they (secretly) like. I like to make fun of them in return./.. well, not them per se,,, rather something they own...

hpowders

Ready to race!
omg, you fools.. GTI is not a "status" car in any way shape or form. "status" should not even be mentioned on these forums.

So who should be driving the GTI-Greek Orthodox monks on the island of Patmos?

hpowders

Ready to race!
i went from a 2007 335xi to a 2010 gti earlier this year and i haven't missed the bmw in the least. was it more powerful, and more "vault like"? of course, but i found it to be overweight, far less useful (i don't usually carry many passengers and i found the trunk space to be a limiting factor), and much less efficient (even babying it i couldn't do better than 20-ish per gallon around town, no better than 27-ish on the highway), and lastly not nearly as much fun to drive as i had expected initially. i won't even get into the run flat tires that i absolutely hated with a passion. for the record, my 335xi was completely trouble-free (only routine, regularly scheduled maintenance) over the 3 years i had it in my garage.

with all of that said, a direct comparison is not fair as you will wind up nitpicking this that and the other thing. you have to decide which car is a better fit for YOU and your situation. the bmw 3 series is a great car, no question but so is the vw gti. there's a reason they are BOTH highly rated almost universally.

just my two cents.

:w00t:

Yes. I have a loaded 2007 328i and am disappointed as to its bloated mass. Yes, it is rock-solid and totally trouble-free.

My latest brain storm involves selling my wife's 2008 Rabbit and replacing it with a 2011 GTI Autobahn, DSG, 4 door. This way I get to keep my 328i; the wife gets a big upgrade and I get to drive both, some of the time.

By the way, this plan has used up all the brain power I could possibly muster.:laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. I have a loaded 2007 328i and am disappointed as to its bloated mass. Yes, it is rock-solid and totally trouble-free.

My latest brain storm involves selling my wife's 2008 Rabbit and replacing it with a 2011 GTI Autobahn, DSG, 4 door. This way I get to keep my 328i; the wife gets a big upgrade and I get to drive both, some of the time.

By the way, this plan has used up all the brain power I could possibly muster.:laugh:

Dude, that's like the smartest thing you've said on here ;):D

GIT MO

Passed Driver's Ed

as I wrote earlier "And, for the most part, I like the attitude of the people that own the brand."

Did I mention humor?

hpowders

Ready to race!

as I wrote earlier "And, for the most part, I like the attitude of the people that own the brand."

Did I mention humor?

The GTI is well-respected, IMO. Folks who love driving know what it is. Those monks are probably driving the Prius.