GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So who's trading in their GTI for the R?

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
how many miles on it? 21k on a 2010 may be hard to get.

Also, you said financing, but then said leasing - which is it?

And, the R's can be tuned. Just like the GTI's can.

It has 18,000 miles currently. I'm financing the GTI, and I want to lease an R. :)

krische

vdubber in training
Oh and have you gotten all the service done at the dealer? Because they could sell it as Certified Pre-Owned, which is everyone's favorite buzzword and adds a little value to the car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It has 18,000 miles currently. I'm financing the GTI, and I want to lease an R. :)

I'd guess $20K would be your high, maybe 20.5 with that miles and an autobahn packaged one.

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
I'd guess $20K would be your high, maybe 20.5 with that miles and an autobahn packaged one.

Yeah, I believe that to be realistic, too.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd go to a few different dealers for sure, but remember, many of the allocated R's are already spoken for.

krische

vdubber in training
And I don't think I have as much car buying experience as GunKata, but from everything I've read: Don't be upset if you can't get what Kelly Blue Book says you should.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
And I don't think I have as much car buying experience as GunKata, but from everything I've read: Don't be upset if you can't get what Kelly Blue Book says you should.

true on the first point ;), for your second - good luck... not many people get KBB trade-in value, dealers dont even try to give you that, you have to be careful. I also recommend www.nada.com for values.

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!

Oh god, I never believe KBB. I sold my Boxster S privately w/n three days on eBay because I priced it correctly. No use in wasting time trying to obtain an imaginary monetary figure. :laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
why did you sell the 987?

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
why did you sell the 987?

It was a 2002 986, and the extended warranty ran out. Before the warranty expired, they had to pay $16,000 for a new engine. Total payout for the term of the warranty was $25,000! 2002 was not a good year for Porsche. So, I advertised the car with a porsche-warrantied engine. It worked. :)

Was a great daily driver for eight years, but it was time for a change. I just chose the wrong car with which to replace it. And, I really miss BLUE!

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you want a quick sell, take it to Carmax. Normally 3-4K less than KBB but if you need to get rid of it quick it's the best way to go. Good luck.

depends on the state, cos in many states you get a tax break when you trade into the dealer, so that's saved me over $1K at times, depending on all the values. I'm pretty sure tho that CA does not have that advantage, not sure in TX.

No DSG, no thanks...

so you owned a MKV R32 at one point then? ;) You could always buy a TT-S.

Matt - Nice car, and hot damn, good thing that warranty was there - WOW!

aditya369us

Ready to race!
It was a 2002 986, and the extended warranty ran out. Before the warranty expired, they had to pay $16,000 for a new engine. Total payout for the term of the warranty was $25,000! 2002 was not a good year for Porsche. So, I advertised the car with a porsche-warrantied engine. It worked. :)

Was a great daily driver for eight years, but it was time for a change. I just chose the wrong car with which to replace it. And, I really miss BLUE!

Which year is a good year for Porsche then ? ;-)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie