GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keyless Entry beware!

tzd

Ready to race!
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/

This is so simple and clever! Summary of article - keyless entry works by detecting that car and key are close together. Researchers are able to fool the car into thinking that by using an antenna to pull the signal of the key close to the car and thereby unlock the door and start the engine.

oSniper

Ready to race!
so if someone were to steal your car and drive away, it would just stop working at a certain distance?
then there would be no point in stealing it

deeb

Passed Driver's Ed
just order my gti with the keyless entry option...
should i reconsider that and go with the standard key

heartcoke

Ready to race!
just order my gti with the keyless entry option...
should i reconsider that and go with the standard key
No, don't let this thread scare you. You'll be driving a GTI not an Audi R8 or something worth putting that much effort into stealing.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
No, don't let this thread scare you. You'll be driving a GTI not an Audi R8 or something worth putting that much effort into stealing.

well, you know, people steal hondas all the time.

Red Devil1

Well I dont know about Miami But here in SA, One would prefer stealing a GTI than an R8, Purely because of the Street Cred this car has here. :cool:

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion

deeb

Passed Driver's Ed

my camry hybrid has the same kind of keyless entry. i have seen a zillion of this car on the Bangkok traffic day in day out.. yet i haven't heard of people stealing the car via faking the signal off the key... so i shouldn't be put off...
thanks... :thumbsup:

Peachaz

Ready to race!
This has just been found out by researchers so it's not on the main stream yet.

I know Mercedes C-300 gives you one start with the key "in range" and will drive until the car is shut off but won't start again. This is what I was told by a friend who owns one. I don't fully trust him, he is wrong alot.

To Bender, rolling codes or not, this will work. It transmits the instantaneous signal from the key via the antennas.

tzd

Ready to race!
The key word in the article is "passive." This has been a known vulnerability of passive systems for years. I know that Ford and VW don't use passive systems anymore but your mileage may vary with other brands.

I believe 'passive' in this article means the kind of system where you don't need to press the button on the remote to open the door, and not whether it uses rolling encryption codes. Encryption does not make a difference in this attack. I am interested to know if the car will indeed turn off when driven away from the key signal.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
keyless entry works by detecting that car and key are close together. Researchers are able to fool the car into thinking that by using an antenna to pull the signal of the key close to the car and thereby unlock the door and start the engine.

If this is how they're doing it, then it'll work. No way in hell they're "finding" the exact code at that exact instant to do it like you used to be able to do with old-school alarms.