GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Unitronic Chipped 2.0TSI Thread!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
This is probably my next upgrade, and i gotta say, i think you just sealed the deal for me. I was looking at different options, and i have been nothing but satisfied with every Unitronic purchase. Not tons of reviews out there, so it was helpful.

I do have a question tho, do you need a Internet Connection during the flashing of the ECU, or can you download the maps to your client, and then run out to the car, and flash.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

That is a great question. I can only tell you what I was prompted prior to clicking the "Flash ECU" button and that is to ensure the UniConnect cable doesn't get unplugged from the OBD port at any time during the process. The other deal breaker is if your battery dies.

The application first "fetched" the tune file assigned to my cable and after that I was prompted to flash, albeit I was within WIFI range through the whole process. This leads me to believe that maintaining an internet connection would no longer be necessary. We will have to wait for John to chime in and confirm.

mexicanwaldo

Go Kart Champion
This is probably my next upgrade, and i gotta say, i think you just sealed the deal for me. I was looking at different options, and i have been nothing but satisfied with every Unitronic purchase. Not tons of reviews out there, so it was helpful.

I do have a question tho, do you need a Internet Connection during the flashing of the ECU, or can you download the maps to your client, and then run out to the car, and flash.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

That is a great question. I can only tell you what I was prompted prior to clicking the "Flash ECU" button and that is to ensure the UniConnect cable doesn't get unplugged from the OBD port at any time during the process. The other deal breaker is if your battery dies.

The application first "fetched" the tune file assigned to my cable and after that I was prompted to flash, albeit I was within WIFI range through the whole process. This leads me to believe that maintaining an internet connection would no longer be necessary. We will have to wait for John to chime in and confirm.

You actually do need a solid internet connection while having your uniconnect connected to your car. It won't let you go past the startup without it.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
You actually do need a solid internet connection while having your uniconnect connected to your car. It won't let you go past the startup without it.

I can second this, you need an internet connection for the entire process.

urbanevil

Ready to race!
That sucks, my Wi-Fi is spotty in my driveway lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I know what you mean lol I just used my phone as a hotspot for my computer. That seemed to work for me.

This or buy a USB wifi antenna for your laptop. It might pick up the signal better than the internal one on the laptop.

jysaw

Ready to race!
Is there any benefit to have an aftermarket drop in filter for stage 1+? Or I should just remain the oem filter?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Is there any benefit to have an aftermarket drop in filter for stage 1+? Or I should just remain the oem filter?
It will breathe a little better and most after market filters are cleanable/reusable so if you buy one that is cleanable you will never have to buy another filter again.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to share my experiences here for those checking the thread out who may be on the fence.

DO IT!

I live in a small beach town with no tuner within 2hrs of me, so Unitronic was very appealing to me for the simple ease of tuning my car in my driveway via UniConnect and the options for upgrading in the future the same way. There were a ton of other reasons I chose Uni, but that by far sealed the deal.

Firstly, the tune, product and even packaging was first class. My only complaint was a lack of OSX/Linux support, so I had to dust off an old PC laptop to perform the tune.

Setting up the application and connecting the OBD controller took about 5 minutes. Then a quick step-by-step guide to install the software, which took 19 minutes for me. I got nervous a few times cycling the ECU on and off as instructed, but all went smoothly.

That's it. That simple. I'll say it again. DO IT!

Going stock to stage2 is insane. I'd recommend this product and its process to any GTI owner. I wrote this up because I couldnt believe how simple this was to do and how easy it is to now go between programs, data log and upgrade. Cheers!

Thanks very much for your feedback! Glad you're enjoying it and the process was a breeze via UC+!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt - an internet connection is required throughout the entire process, including while flashing the vehicle. Start to finish, an internet connection is required.

Matt,

It's important for our application to communicate with our server throughout the entire flash, including at the end of the flash. The tuned file is cached before the programming session begins, but it's important that our server receives communication throughout the session, including its "programming competition", which is done at the end of the flash. If internet connection drops, our server won't know the status of the flash, and the logs we receive throughout the flash won't be communicated to our server, which reduces our ability to provide efficient support.

:thumbsup:

That sucks, my Wi-Fi is spotty in my driveway lol.

I know what you mean lol I just used my phone as a hotspot for my computer. That seemed to work for me.

Personal Hotsports (via a mobile phone, etc.) work great!

urbanevil

Ready to race!
Thanks very much for your feedback! Glad you're enjoying it and the process was a breeze via UC+!

Matt - an internet connection is required throughout the entire process, including while flashing the vehicle. Start to finish, an internet connection is required.

It's important for our application to communicate with our server throughout the entire flash, including at the end of the flash. The tuned file is cached before the programming session begins, but it's important that our server receives communication throughout the session, including its "programming competition", which is done at the end of the flash. If internet connection drops, our server won't know the status of the flash, and the logs we receive throughout the flash won't be communicated to our server, which reduces our ability to provide efficient support.

[emoji106]

Personal Hotsports (via a mobile phone, etc.) work great!
That will most likely be my plan, now to convince the wife I need a tune after spending 3k in the last 3 weeks (had the car for 3 weeks lol) haha.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
ok here we go. I must say FUCK Unitonics and customer service. Seriously fucked me over, out of mistake or misunderstanding?

I have 2013 GLI Vehicle. Recently flashed to Stage 2+, as I installed k04. This was an upgrade from Stage 2...

Shop flashed wrong file to my car (need catless..) The shop is 2 hours away

Decided to purchase the UniConnect cable to do it myself.

Well. I bought the wrong cable?? Read what John had to say.. Great fucking customer support. Never again.

Anthony,

Thanks for your email. Your UniConnect cable does not support the programming of the MED17.5.2 ECU found in your 2013 GLI, unfortunately. After contacting Modded Euros, it seems that you ordered UH007-TLA, which is in-fact UniConnect, not UniConnect+. I suggest purchasing the UniConnect+ (UH008-TLA) cable in order to get functionality with your particular vehicle. Since you've used the UC cable, and it's been VIN-locked, unfortunately Modded Euros will not be able to exchange the cable. I'm sorry for the situation, but please let me know how I can assist further.

Thank you,

So, you purchased the wrong cable from a third-party, then attempted to use said product without double-checking and now you're mad at the manufacturer? I mean, does your situation suck? Yes. Is it the manufacturers fault? No.

Its principal, goes both ways. As their cable marry/un-marry process should not be that difficult. If so, they need new developer. Otherwise, i see it as pre-programmed planned obsolescence; a money grab.

UniConnect description vs UniConnect+ (Plus), very similar and close description and easily mistakable.

I will re-run the modded Euro's car selection/part match on their website, Double check to make sure it was not at fault either. (wrong product availability to car selection)

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
I'll post what I wrote you last night by email....

Anthony,

First, I'd like to point out the fact that our website has the product listed properly on the product page for your car. Additionally, Modded Euros has the fitment guide on their website. You mention you made mistake, yet are threatening us that you're going to bad mouth us on the forums because you made a mistake. This doesn't make much sense to me, but you know what I'll do? I'll exchange the cable for you at absolutely no cost to you, as a courtesy to you. Please send me your complete shipping address and I'll ship it out within the next 48 hours via UPS Express.

The Canuck

Ready to race!
.... And that right there is why I like Unitronic. John didn't have to do anything, but is helping out a client, even if the client made the mistake.