GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

McQueen77

Banned
So how many miles are you guys noticing this seapage? All happening to Stock cars or all are modified?

What the heck is that green ooze on the valve cover? Looks like the snott from that Nickolodean show haha.

Green Slime is OEM Valve Cover Sealant?? haha

Jeff

well i just went through this and they replaced the valve cover gasket, cam position sensor and vacuum pump seal/gasket under warranty. the tech who did the job on mine seriously knows his shit and he said its very rare on stock cars and most likely is from running around 18PSI on stage 1 tune as I have been doing and driving the shit out of it, as I have been doing. its basic physics.. you essentially increase the pressure in the crankcase exponentially and something has to give. ofcourse no one wants to hear that who has a tune but its reality. eventually all turbo VWs leak oil. just google 'VW oil leak' and marvel at 25 pages of that shit.

this is not a long term car. i got the same lime green sealant.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
I got my car back from the dealer and they determined it is not a leak but is the gasket residue. They informed me that they leak tested it and added dye and they cleaned the valve cover very nicely. A leak or seepage will be more apparent next time. For now all is well so false alarm.

McQueen77

Banned
I got my car back from the dealer and they determined it is not a leak but is the gasket residue. They informed me that they leak tested it and added dye and they cleaned the valve cover very nicely. A leak or seepage will be more apparent next time. For now all is well so false alarm.

yeah, mine was full on leaking. oil seeping out of the cam position sensor, leaking out of the vacuum seal... sweet

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Mine is leaking out of that same sensor!! Maybe I can just replace the sensor and the sensor gasket? It's not coming from anywhere else...

McQueen77

Banned
Mine is leaking out of that same sensor!! Maybe I can just replace the sensor and the sensor gasket? It's not coming from anywhere else...

you could try that. its only like $40 from ECS Tuning or $64 from the dealer i believe. if you are under warranty though they'll just do it for free.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
All you guys that have it leaking from the sensor, are you tuned?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
well i just went through this and they replaced the valve cover gasket, cam position sensor and vacuum pump seal/gasket under warranty. the tech who did the job on mine seriously knows his shit and he said its very rare on stock cars and most likely is from running around 18PSI on stage 1 tune as I have been doing and driving the shit out of it, as I have been doing. its basic physics.. you essentially increase the pressure in the crankcase exponentially and something has to give. ofcourse no one wants to hear that who has a tune but its reality. eventually all turbo VWs leak oil. just google 'VW oil leak' and marvel at 25 pages of that shit.

this is not a long term car. i got the same lime green sealant.[/QUOTE

It can be a long term car though if left stock. All cars leak at some point in time but high boosted engines may quicker. I ran 26psi in my Evo 9 for 60K miles and it never leaked anything. I just think some motors are more tuner friendly than others.

So there is a valve cover gasket then? Some people are saying there is just a bead of sealant that goes around and no gasket? No which is it?

I think I'm going to stay stock with this car.

Jeff

McQueen77

Banned
i think you should. thats my final conclusion after being tuned for a while. to get the same stock power delivery you need to go stage 2 at which point, you are pushing it. the way this tech explained it to me is just basic physics, not hype or street racer bs or vendor propaganda "watch as our mkV GTI makes 700whp with stock internals, so can you!". i mean, whatever its fine. too late now, im tuned, ill drive it that way but ill drive it easier to get life out of it. i just can't afford to pay out of pocket for a job like i just had done. cannot do it. if i would have been hit with a bill for $1500 today i would have about shit.

I've been GIAC Stage 2 for approximately 40K now.

well there you go. 40k on stage 2 before leakage is pretty good. i have 32k miles total, 18k on stage 1

eduardot

Ready to race!
I think you guys are overreacting a bit relating this issue to a tune. My car is not tuned, has less than 20K miles, and also had this problem.

McQueen77

Banned
I think you guys are overreacting a bit relating this issue to a tune. My car is not tuned, has less than 20K miles, and also had this problem.
not really. excess crankcase pressure most likely causes the leaks. but if all gaskets were equally as durable or strong, everyone would have the issue, so its a combo of a weak point to start with and then a tune adds to that. depends how hard you drive it too, what kind of driving, etc. etc. its not some conspiracy theory. while it is common doe valve cover gasket needing replacing etc. on 100k+ mile cars, 20k or 30k miles = pretty weak.

heres mine, clean as a whistle, good as new, ready for more abuse

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear about the hassle. Glad its ready for the road!

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I think I've got this same problem going on. I'm starting to notice lots of oil around the valve "gasket/sealant/whatever" and around the cam position sensor. I'm gonna take her in and see what the techs say.... Lets hope it's warranty covered like you guys. My dealer is pretty good so I may be alright....

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Let's just say here, if we didn't get this fixed, is there a distinct possibility of a rupture or "blowing" the valve cover gasket?