GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning/Chip FAQ Thread: Which One Do I choose?

black power

Passed Driver's Ed
cool to c some ppl from oman :)
check ur PM

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
what do you mean by its supporting mods? do you mean the programs that comes with the sofware?? or additional parts that i have to add??

You dont have to add anything for Stage 1. Do a little more research on the topic or read the original post again. it has everything you need to know about what you NEED for which stage you want to run. Might I suggest this other thread too,

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36928

Is the APR intercooler better than the S3 intercooler? does it fit same as stock intercooler or does it require some modifications??

Yes, by far. Especially for your location. It fits exactly the same as stock IC.

for stage 1 which brand is better in your opinion?? what about ABT, there is no much discussion about it in the forum??

The reason of this thread is to help you make that decision for yourself. There is much speculation as to who is better and who is the greatest, but quite frankly no one will make you decide except yourself. Go to each site and find the dealers that are close to you.

I personally know a member in the middle east that shipped his ECU to APR in the states because he WANTED them that badly. However, there are many more choices where you live compared to us in the states. If you're still confused Message me and we'll talk.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if this has been addressed, but Unitronic's stage 1 is 91 octane and 1+ is 93, not 1 and air intake.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Here's a good compiled chart from my comparison thread. Might be good to add to the OP:

Vanderknuckle

This is a great post. Thanks to all of you, I now know where to start with tuning with my mk6. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

UT_Evo

So I saw it asked once but no one answered. I just got my GTI and have been oogling tunes since every FI car I've ever owned I got a tune almost as fast as possible...

What about warranty? Are there any issues? This is a lot more invasive than any tune I've ever had before (aka simple flashes) and I really don't want to run in to any warranty issues...

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
You most likely will if something goes wrong and tune related. It's becoming not worth it for me.
There are many many threads on this.
It's a risk. As other people say make sure you have a few thousand extra for anything that may go wrong and not covered. Then again many have not seen issues.

UT_Evo

You most likely will if something goes wrong and tune related. It's becoming not worth it for me.
There are many many threads on this.
It's a risk. As other people say make sure you have a few thousand extra for anything that may go wrong and not covered. Then again many have not seen issues.

I suppose the deeper part of my question is: will setting it back to stock via the tool make it "invisible" to the dealer? Or is it something that can be removed by the place that installed it and set back entirely stock (which leads in to the question of if you can sell the system "used" or not too)?

Many have not seen issues with the dealer/warranty? Is that what you mean?

Mainly my problem here is I come from two different cars that I had the COBB AccessPort on... Never had an issue with that because it wasn't invasive and could be "uninstalled" back to stock in a matter of a couple minutes. The dealers couldn't ever tell. The cutting open of the ECU and attaching something inside it is what sketches me out...

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Once tuned they will always know. Putting back to stock does not hide it. They have a tool they hook up that tells it it's tuned

I meant many have not had issues with the car. Some have had issues with the tune used as an excuse not to repair by dealer and/or VWofA. Some have had issues that is tune related and the dealer does it under warranty anyway. Some have had issues that is a problem with the ecu and down to the tuning dealer opening the ecu. Some of these have had a big fight to get the dealer to take responsibility for it and have had to get the tune company involved to get some resolution. Few I believe have had to fork out for a new ecu.
But many seen no issues with the car after tuning.

Last edited:

UT_Evo

Once tuned they will always know. Putting back to stock does not hide it. They have a tool they hook up that tells it it's tuned

Is any company working on a solution that gets around this then? That was the best thing about the AP. The dealers could see the ECU had been "flashed" and how many times, but nothing more than that. And that cannot be used as proof of modification for warranty claims, since they cannot prove how it was flashed (aka, it could have just been a dealer reflash).

That's a pretty big bummer the VW/Audi community is so large and yet no company has a solution. I suppose lesson learned though, I'll either have to risk it or go back to Japanese cars to avoid the issue.

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I would like to know though if the car can be flashed back to a stock file (i.e. no tune) and then if the dealer would then not detect anything went on with the ecu through the tool they hook up to get the TD1 flag.
I figure you would probably pay labor to do this and more labor to flash back the tune later.
And does a backup of your stock "file" get done and saved to APR server when the load the APR tune on?

CFG9000

Ready to race!
I would like to know though if the car can be flashed back to a stock file (i.e. no tune) and then if the dealer would then not detect anything went on with the ecu through the tool they hook up to get the TD1 flag.
I figure you would probably pay labor to do this and more labor to flash back the tune later.
And does a backup of your stock "file" get done and saved to APR server when the load the APR tune on?

I don't think this works. Once the encryption is broken, the ECU is perma-flagged.

UT_Evo

I don't think this works. Once the encryption is broken, the ECU is perma-flagged.

So it is actually flagging a broken encryption code on the ECU? Not just a simple "ecu flash" thing (which could always have been the dealer doing something or other) but an actual "The encryption on this ECU has been broken" type flag? That's even shittier. Especially if it is perma-flagged... And unfortunately being the ECU even with Magnussen v. Moss (spelling...) backing you you'd still have a hard time because the dealer/VWNA could easily justify denying a warranty claim for just about any part that is controlled via the ECU or ECU related parts, and I'm no expert but that is likely just about everything. You'd be safer with a full TBE than a tune in that case. Guess my GTI will have to stay stock for now... :cry:

Aren't you worried about your car? I see you have 850 miles on it and APR stage 2... Or do you have enough saved to cover the cost of anything if (read: when) it breaks as xd-data-ii suggested?