GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

time for a new clutch

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
im looking to get a new clutch im stage II and the other day, i was in 5th around 70mph and gave it full throttle and the rpms raised faster than my speed did. So the stage II is starting to get to my clutch and looking for recommendations and what clutch and place to get it done at. i do mainly daily driving, and some light racing no drag strip or autocross. thx

DarkCloak

Banned
The Southbend DXD Stage II will be plenty fine for your usage. I have had it for a week with my K04 and it aquite good.

Also check out Clutchmasters in the Vendor section they have a Stage 1+ that has 70% more torque holding capacity than stock. It is probaly quite user freindly too. This might be a better choice as a DD at Stage II with minimal track usage.

BenH

Ready to race!
for a DD with OEM like refinement I think it's a good idea to keep the dual mass flywheel. I'm not 100% sure the glazing caused by OE clutch slipping will warrant replacing the OE pressure plate at the same time. Southbend sells a stage 3 clutch disc that mates to OE flywheel and pressure plate. And Clutchmasters FX200 stage 2 has both disc and plate. I think FX200 is 70% more holding power with a non segmented kevlar disc. It will be very durable

The difference in parts cost is 2x among the options but labor is the same at 6 hours.

I'm not sure which is the wisest.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
If you open it up, dump the shitty dual mass flywheel.. they wear out and get all sloppy. My clutch was slipping, and I noticed after I took it out that the flywheel was shot as well

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
for a DD with OEM like refinement I think it's a good idea to keep the dual mass flywheel. I'm not 100% sure the glazing caused by OE clutch slipping will warrant replacing the OE pressure plate at the same time. Southbend sells a stage 3 clutch disc that mates to OE flywheel and pressure plate. And Clutchmasters FX200 stage 2 has both disc and plate. I think FX200 is 70% more holding power with a non segmented kevlar disc. It will be very durable

The difference in parts cost is 2x among the options but labor is the same at 6 hours.

I'm not sure which is the wisest.

its more than the plare getting glazed...the weak pressure plate and crappy friction compound on the disk are junk...putting on a new disk isn't the best idea, since the pressure plate is likely worn out...plus putting a disk, or new pp and disk without machining or replacing the flywheel is kinda like putting new brake pads on worn out rotors

If you open it up, dump the shitty dual mass flywheel.. they wear out and get all sloppy. My clutch was slipping, and I noticed after I took it out that the flywheel was shot as well

x2 the rev hang with the stock flywheel is annoying...the SB silent flywheel is a great improvement over the old design as far as chatter goes...i recommend it :thumbsup:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I just had the southbend stage 2 "silent" endurance kit put it. It really is a dream. The revs drop perfectly when your getting on it and the pedal is firm in a good way. Love it

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
See now i tried the same thing again just to make sure it is slipping, but now it didnt do it. also i met a guy at a local gas station with a mkv gti with a ko4 upgrade with 74k miles and still stock clutch. what simple process can i do to check on my clutch is actually still good

Larry70454

Ready to race!
Simple.

1. Get up to 25mph.
2. Put the car in 5th gear.
3. Roll into the gas, don't stomp it.
4. You should be full throttle at around ~30mph.
5. If the RPMs raise faster than normal your clutch is slipping.

E-Dawg

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had the southbend stage 2 "silent" endurance kit put it. It really is a dream. The revs drop perfectly when your getting on it and the pedal is firm in a good way. Love it

Just how silent is the new "Silent" version of this clutch? I've read conflicting reviews on this.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
See now i tried the same thing again just to make sure it is slipping, but now it didnt do it. also i met a guy at a local gas station with a mkv gti with a ko4 upgrade with 74k miles and still stock clutch. what simple process can i do to check on my clutch is actually still good

...once the car warms up I have noticed that it slips less myself. I'm in the same boat as you, but i'm k04. I've gotten a qupte of $800 for install. Sound about right?

BenH

Ready to race!
...once the car warms up I have noticed that it slips less myself. I'm in the same boat as you, but i'm k04. I've gotten a qupte of $800 for install. Sound about right?

run, I was quoted 6 hours @ $95/hr at one shop and $125/hr at another shop.

spessx

Ready to race!
I've never been very happy with aftermarket clutches. Aftermarket clutches are kind of like aftermarket paintjobs - it's just never quite the same. I like the smooth, quiet, OEM feel of my stock clutch. I won't be going past stage 2 with this car and it'll never see the track - I have an S2000 for that.

That being said, I want to retain the stock pressure plate and flywheel.

DBC Performance will be installing the Southbend Clutch disc in my car tomorrow. They've done a number of these installs and I'll have them check the PP and DMF pretty closely to make sure they're not glazed. If so, I'm guessing I'll have to replace them.

-s

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
When I took my stock clutch out at 40k, it looked brand new.. flywheel wasn't hot spotted, and the disc wasn't glazed.. and it was tuned basically the whole time, and stage2 for about 20k

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
anyone have experience with clutch masters? Redline Speedworx is now pushing their stuff. They have their stage 3 clutch on sale for $846 with free shipping. Pretty good deal...