GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

aerodynamics?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it will block the drain pan. But, luckily, it attaches with screws and could be removed in minutes. :) I had a 2008 Charger Super Bee, it came from the factory with a shield like this that had to be removed at every oil change. Pretty sure our 09 Jetta TDI had the same. (see below)

As for benefits off the Autobahn......reducing drag will also boost MPG, not just high speed stability. Granted, it may not be much from just the front shield, but for anyone that does a LOT of highway driving it could add up with all the pieces. This is why TDIs are common to have these, to paraphrase "It's the drag stupid" :D Less drag, less fuel needs to be burned. Simple.

If you took a hole saw to that pan to get access to the drain plug do you think it would add drag? I fear getting service with all these panels and then a lazy tech leaving them off.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
If you took a hole saw to that pan to get access to the drain plug do you think it would add drag? I fear getting service with all these panels and then a lazy tech leaving them off.

Drag delta induced by a small hole will be in the noise. It might be a dirt magnet, though... to keep that from happening, you could use a plastic plug, like those used to cap tubing, or cover it with tape.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion

A small hole won't cause significient drag, but don't mind about two minutes work for your mechanic. :laugh:
All the VAG Diesel come with a pan like this - the mechanic will even don't recognize it as a retrofitted part.

Drag delta induced by a small hole will be in the noise. It might be a dirt magnet, though... to keep that from happening, you could use a plastic plug, like those used to cap tubing, or cover it with tape.

Nice idea. :D But only appropriate if you do the oil change on yourself.

Again, we should not get carried away. ;-)

Last edited:

hcw5733

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the Part Number of item number 3 in this picture? Furthermore, what else do I have to purchase in addition to this part number to install it?

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Modded the RS3 ducts to properly feed the centre of the rotor. It works well with my already modded brake heat shields. Also installed my TDI Blumotion undertray.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=759787

ff54976

Ready to race!
so for those who did this, did your mpg go up? if it did how much? im trying to justify the cost. i drive alot on the highway which is why im wondering how much this could help me

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Undertray should help.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Whats the difference between R32 and Bluemotion undertrays?

The bluemotion tray does not have the rear most NACA duct, it only has the front two that route air at the oil pan.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
can anyone who has the undertray tell me how much better their mpgs got?

Not enough to notice, but used with other mods it all adds up. Also a big plus is it keeps the engine bay much cleaner.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Whats the difference between R32 and Bluemotion undertrays?

The bluemotion tray does not have the rear most NACA duct, it only has the front two that route air at the oil pan.

+ BlueMotion TDI has some sound deadener against the ugly diesel noise. All TDI come with it.

Fuel milage is hard to qualify. There's almost no effect in town, but on highway undertray + rear
axle cover should increase mileage between 2 and 4 %. Not that easy to notice, but it is there.

Bear in mind the undertray will also keep the engine bay much cleaner as AF-MKVI and others said.