GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will stage 2 clutch be enough

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
Hi I planning on getting a clutch master stage 2 clutch and was wondering if it will be enough for a ko4, I don't wanna get the clutch then when it comes time for the ko4 it not be able to handle it nicely. Thanks for any advice

SRT2GTI

Banned
Post back with a review of the Clucth Masters clutch. I'm not a fan of the other brand...so any first hand info on the CM stage 2 would be appreciated.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I have 1000 miles on my southbend stage 2 daily (non-silent series) and zero complaints. Don't be scared away by the big thread, there are plenty of people using the clutches without issues.

coolstorm92

Ready to race!
I think you should be fine. I went with Stage 2 SBC on K04 and so far I am fine after over 10k miles, but only time will tell as far as real longevity.

SRT2GTI

Banned
I have 1000 miles on my southbend stage 2 daily (non-silent series) and zero complaints. Don't be scared away by the big thread, there are plenty of people using the clutches without issues.

I'm scared because of previous failures with their products. Post back when you have 4-5K on the clutch. My pressure plate shattered in 5 places at 4k miles with my stage 3 SBC.

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
Post back with a review of the Clucth Masters clutch. I'm not a fan of the other brand...so any first hand info on the CM stage 2 would be appreciated.

Clutch master has always been a great product when it comes to Japanese cars, I've always heard nothing but great, I'm a lil worried since its German but I'm looking more towards that since I can get it for 720shipped, haven't ordered it yet but will most likely this weekend, and will be doing the install myself, anyone in SOFL have much experience with a clutch install. I've done one but not on a VW

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I'm scared because of previous failures with their products. Post back when you have 4-5K on the clutch. My pressure plate shattered in 5 places at 4k miles with my stage 3 SBC.

I will report back when I have that many miles. I was just stating that not every clutch sent out by SBC is faulty for this or any platform. Clutches seem to be hit or miss. A friend of mine went through 4 different manufacturers before finding one that could hold the weak 300whp of his 2.0t mk3 without blowing apart.

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
Also would you guys recommend a upgraded flywheel, I hate how the rpms take forever to drop, but also don't want them to drop to fast to loose to much boost. I'm only at 10k miles

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
these clutch kits come with a flywheel

As for the pressure plates, don't Southbend and Clutchmasters use the same SACHS pressure plates?

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
these clutch kits come with a flywheel

As for the pressure plates, don't Southbend and Clutchmasters use the same SACHS pressure plates?

You can also buy them without one, but my question is what size flywheel would be best recommended. What's the weight of our stock one?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
27lbs I think, and the Southbend I believe is like 17 or 19lbs?

drogersbruh1

Ready to race!
Well for now since im doing the install myself ill probly just stick with the stock and if im still unsatisfied ill get the flywheel down the road, and install later.

Fizor

Ready to race!
Well for now since im doing the install myself ill probly just stick with the stock and if im still unsatisfied ill get the flywheel down the road, and install later.

your call, but changing the clutch is not a simple process. I would do heavy research, weight the pro's and con's, and then pull the trigger on whether I wanted a light weight fly wheel.

Do it once, do it right. Good luck!

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
You can also buy them without one
Um, don't do that. They sell them w/o a fw for people who already have a single-mass fw (SMF) and need to change/replace/upgrade the disc or pp. Bolting on (if it would even bolt on, not sure) a kit designed for a SMF onto your stock DMF is not going to be good.

If you don't want to upgrade the fw, just go with the Stage 3 disc setup that people are using.