GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USP steel shift forks

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
My tranny has been sticking in 1st - 2nd for the longest time and I saw that USP made steel shift forks to replace the brass stock ones. I ordered 1st - 2nd and 3rd - 4th. Hoping this fixes my problem. I'll report back after I get them installed.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
might as well do a clutch and limited slip too since you'll have it all apart

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
didn't know ours were brass. Did a clutch on a Mazda 6 last year and I remember it having a steel fork. My tech wanted to try replacing it as well even though I don't think it mattered. I think if brass is much softer it may just help in your case. I would def think it is.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
didn't know ours were brass. Did a clutch on a Mazda 6 last year and I remember it having a steel fork. My tech wanted to try replacing it as well even though I don't think it mattered. I think if brass is much softer it may just help in your case. I would def think it is.

Clutch fork and shift fork are not the same.

OP I don't believe these forks will fix your problem, you will most likely need to be prepared to replace the 1-2 selector hub while you are in there.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
OP I don't believe these forks will fix your problem, you will most likely need to be prepared to replace the 1-2 selector hub while you are in there.

Damnit. Any idea how much that'll run me? I want to do everything all at once (again).

mg_90

My tranny has been sticking in 1st - 2nd for the longest time and I saw that USP made steel shift forks to replace the brass stock ones. I ordered 1st - 2nd and 3rd - 4th. Hoping this fixes my problem. I'll report back after I get them installed.

Sub´d

Very interested in your review! :thumbsup:

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know how much the tranny weighs? I might be doing this install myself, but will be doing it with a jack and stands and I don't want the tranny to smoosh me lol.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone know how much the tranny weighs? I might be doing this install myself, but will be doing it with a jack and stands and I don't want the tranny to smoosh me lol.

Pretty sure it's about 105lb, give or take a few. Definitely a 2 man job unless you're Hulk, or you have a tranny jack.

Halvie

WOOSA
Do the FFE gear set too while you are at it :D. Been thinking about doing the stage 3 one, but can't find any reviews, or much of any information on it.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure it's about 105lb, give or take a few. Definitely a 2 man job unless you're Hulk, or you have a tranny jack.

105 isnt too bad, but being on the floor in a small cramped space will probably make it difficult.

Do the FFE gear set too while you are at it :D. Been thinking about doing the stage 3 one, but can't find any reviews, or much of any information on it.

I'd love to, but don't you have to send in the gears to them? At least that's what I got from their site.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
What clutch kit Doug have? U do know that the older south bend clutches have been reported to have the same type of problem u r mentioning

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
What clutch kit Doug have? U do know that the older south bend clutches have been reported to have the same type of problem u r mentioning

Are you talking about the silent version giving people problems? But I have the SB stage 2, non silent version. I don't think this is clutch related though, as I have to man handle it into second after the clutch has been depressed for some time and my revs have dropped all the way.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
sub'd. I found this USP shift fork too after I came across the same issue with my first gen SBC Stage 2 DD Silent Design clutch. I'm installing the USP SS clutch line and bleeding the system Friday to see if that helps at all.

If not, I'll take the trans down to send the clutch back to SBC for the revised parts, throw another "F" throw out bearing in, throw these two clutch forks in, install the Whiteline WALK kit then get the car aligned again.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same boat. I have these shift forks sitting in my house waiting to go in. But I want to do it right, so I'm thinking about getting a new clutch and bearings for my LSD. I'm also thinking if I should get new gears or not. Idk what to expect when I drop the tranny, I don't want to not have parts that I may need.