GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leaking all over the place

DarthMaul

Ready to race!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So do you think I should just deal with the noise with a brand new car?

I think it's silly to claim your gonna get your car lemon lawed over a problem that does not affect the function of the car. If your car was consistently broken down fine, but your issue is a sound you don't like. It doesn't over heat, it doesn't leak, and it doesn't leave you stranded.

It's like saying you want to lemon law your car because there is a wind noise.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I never knew techs were paid off of commission.

apprentice and lube techs gets pay hourly, the way it works for journeyman is called flat rate. Jobs have a book time, it's a standard rate for a specific job. For example if replacing XYZ has a book time of 1.00 hour, the tech gets paid 1.00 hour regardless if it takes them 3 hours or 15 minutes to finish it. The more efficient you are the more money you make. I can do TSI water pumps faster than the book time says it takes so I like doing them.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
generally speaking every VW in recent memory has shitty water pumps. In the case of the MK6 all of the TSI's have a shit water pump, half are fine, almost half makes some noise but work fine, and a few have let loose and dumped coolant

And there you have it. DBEST, you should make a "TSI maintenance for dummies" sticky.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
update

dealer said my radiator and cooling hose needs to be replaced. He mentioned something about the housing and a fan?:iono: gonna take 3-4 hours to fix and car should be ready earliest is Wed.

dirty_dub

Ready to race!
I think it's silly to claim your gonna get your car lemon lawed over a problem that does not affect the function of the car. If your car was consistently broken down fine, but your issue is a sound you don't like. It doesn't over heat, it doesn't leak, and it doesn't leave you stranded.

It's like saying you want to lemon law your car because there is a wind noise.
It shouldn't be there my 2011 Gti didnt have the issues. (wish i didn't crash it). Would you fix you car if it had the noise? I know its no Mercedes but the noise is highly annoying.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
The clip that hold the wires for the fan in the track on the fan assembly rubs through the radiator. It happened to my car and I had the radiator replaced. The assholes deceided to leave the clip on when they put the fan assembly back in...I immediately checked when I got the car back and took it out.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
12 pages of water pump carnage

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4872

Edit: wait nevermind just read the update about the radiator. Great. So these cars are as temperamental as BMWs are. With the entire cooling system needing attention and/or replacement every few years.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Seriously what the hell is wrong with Germans automakers and cooling systems?

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
Had the same issue. Ultimately after taking the whole thing apart it was the thermostat that leaked. But since VW has brilliantly put the water pump and thermostat together in some sort of plate assembly the service guy referred to as a "flange," they had to overnight the part before they could even take it apart, then replaced the whole thing.

On the bright side, I decided to be direct and ask what their policy is on mods. He said they have no problem with it but he also said "keep all the old parts in case you blow the engine." Not completely reassuring but enough I think to go ahead and flash it.

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
Just had the same thing happen to me. I'm on my third pump.
They told me the OEM part is now manufactured by a different German company and there aren't any quality issues with the new ones. Obviously if you're on your third one that was bs.