GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R insurance rates?

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, anyone go from Mk6 GTI to Golf R ? How much did the insurance go up?

I ask cause last time I bought an 04 R (from an 04 3.2 TT), it went up 300% at 21st century ins, so I canceled it and went safeco.

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
Everyone is going to be different but mine went down compared to the previous car. The short of it is I had an 4yr old STI which I traded for a new 4 door Honda Civic EX-L (daily driver.. blah) and rates stayed almost exactly the same. Traded the Civic in on the R and my rates went down 40 bucks every 6 months.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
ha

ha, r us serious? A pos civic was more expensive?...bahaha... Guess they rate based on who tends to drive those vs how fast the car is. The 3.2 TT was faster then R32 because of the DSG...yet my ins wanted 300% more!

FNR32

Ready to race!
It has less to do with how fast the car is and more to do with how frequently as a whole that specific car gets wrecked/stolen, etc. This is why insurance on a C6 Z06 is cheaper for me than my GTi is. It doesn't make logical sense, but more young idiots drive GTi's than Z06's so there are less Z's wrecked im sure despite the fact the Z has 2.5 times the power and price.

Stifun

Ready to race!
I pay $ 116.00 a month with Progressive with a $ 1000.00 deductible but I am 34 yrs old.

Hope that helps.

JammingJay

Ready to race!
For fun I just got a quote from my current carrier online (Esurance), it would be about a $110 more for me, for every 6 months for a Golf R.

Last edited:

Blazn5

Ready to race!
yeah that was one of the strange things going from a 2010 GTI to a 2012 Golf R. My Insurance went down by about $70 every 6 months. No idea why but I for sure wasn't going to question USAA on it.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
It has less to do with how fast the car is and more to do with how frequently as a whole that specific car gets wrecked/stolen, etc. This is why insurance on a C6 Z06 is cheaper for me than my GTi is. It doesn't make logical sense, but more young idiots drive GTi's than Z06's so there are less Z's wrecked im sure despite the fact the Z has 2.5 times the power and price.

Same type of situation with my E55 and GTI. The GTI is $400 a year more.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
My GTI is $530 dollars a year less than my '10 STI was. Wooo!! 24 with a few tickets.. USAA.

slackin via taptalk

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Ok

Ok, looks like its all over the place. I assumed its more expensive. Wish there was a website that listed cars and their risk factor ins cos use.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
$73/mo GTI MKV

bluvv04

Ready to race!
I was at about 168 a mo for a new MKVI Autobahn...10 points and 25...progressive just upped me to 208 a mo. Not feelin it, about to start shopping around again. hopefully will be cheaper when I get a R or a MKVII in 2 yrs once the lease is up.