GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Do So Many People Switch To TDI?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Is it merely the gas savings? I see a lot of people looking to trade their unleaded engines for the diesel counterpart.

What am I missing?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Is it merely the gas savings? I see a lot of people looking to trade their unleaded engines for the diesel counterpart.

What am I missing?

Economy and torque! If the GTD were available its the best of both worlds a diesel GTI. Whats not to like. There are many here in Germany.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
IDK if it's "so many" but with high fuel costs and all the positive press the TDI has received, its becoming a popular choice for those seeking efficiency.

kabz

Ready to race!
If it's your first Golf, it seems like it's easier to justify a 24k+ GTI, value, performance, than a 26k+ Golf TDI.

But once you've paid off the GTI, the same DNA but 40+mpg would seem to be pretty persuasive.

I *know* I'm probably headed for a TDI in a few years as long as my GTI doesn't shit the bed at some point. Now, 6 speed or DSG, that will be the question...

CFG9000

Ready to race!
If it's your first Golf, it seems like it's easier to justify a 24k+ GTI, value, performance, than a 26k+ Golf TDI.

But once you've paid off the GTI, the same DNA but 40+mpg would seem to be pretty persuasive.

I *know* I'm probably headed for a TDI in a few years as long as my GTI doesn't shit the bed at some point. Now, 6 speed or DSG, that will be the question...

If the Jetta TDI Sportwagen I drove a year ago is any indication, the current TDI engine and DSG were made for each other.

McQueen77

Banned
torque of a stage 1 GTI blows away the TDI. but if you don't want to tune, than I can see the MPG being the allure as well as high long term resale value. still, i get 27mpg overall and low-mid 30s highway in the GTI which is fine for me.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
torque of a stage 1 GTI blows away the TDI. but if you don't want to tune, than I can see the MPG being the allure as well as high long term resale value. still, i get 27mpg overall and low-mid 30s highway in the GTI which is fine for me.

Agreed. V8 level of torque and good gas mileage. The TDI is really nice but the GTI's TSI for me is nicer.

McQueen77

Banned
yeah i can't get over the engine in this car. i want to upstream with my next car when this one is paid off and am basically looking at the A4 since its such a similar engine. sounds like Audi is less forgiving with the ECU tuning though and the claim denials are far more real and documented with those guys vs. what ive heard of VW.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I've read that VW will bring the GTD tuned 2.0 for the US Passat (marketing aid - people are turned off by a 140hp large sedan). Hopefully it will make its way into other models as well. I've heard the TDI is lacking top end power.

I'd like a Tiguan sized vehicle for my next ride. A GTD tuned TDI Tiguan would be perfect.

McQueen77

Banned
I've read that VW will bring the GTD tuned 2.0 for the US Passat (marketing aid - people are turned off by a 140hp large sedan). Hopefully it will make its way into other models as well. I've heard the TDI is lacking top end power.

I'd like a Tiguan sized vehicle for my next ride. A GTD tuned TDI Tiguan would be perfect.

my wife is looking at the tiguan but is put off by the lackluster mileage since her current car gets high 30s hwy and high 20s city. i drove an '11 Tiguan and love it. i could see that as a next car. would be a more proper urban assault vehicle. wouldn't be so pothole shy but would still have that 2.0T that could be tuned in a heartbeat. the GTD would be huge.

CFG9000

Ready to race!

The fact that Americans look at HP when shopping diesels makes me :mad0259:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The fact that Americans look at HP when shopping diesels makes me :mad0259:

I totally agree. The scarcity of diesels here mean many aren't properly educated on how they function/are intended to work.

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
Educate me!

Owning a GTD and having owned an RX-8 I've done the extremes of torquey diesel and peaky petrol, I've also done a few inbetween including a 3.0 petrol twin-turbo 335i and a surprisingly grunty 1.8 petrol vvt MX-5.

Someone once said to me "power makes the headlines, but torque makes you smile". I never believed that until I drove my old 335i (295 lbft between 1300 and 5000 rpm) but the GTD really proves the point.

To put it somewhat more scientifically, I did a few calculations based on gear ratios, wheel size, weight and most importantly, torque. Between 1750 and 2500 rpm, where my GTD's peak torque is and the sort of engine speeds you'l be doing a lot of in normal driving, my diesel GTD in second gear accelerates at 95% of the rate the my old 302bhp 335i did, despite the fact that the 335i was also making peak torque at those engine speeds. In third gear it still manages 91%. In fact the torque to weight figure for the two cars is almost identical and the only thing making the difference at those engine speeds is the longer gearing that the diesel needs due to the smaller rev range.

In everyday driving a diesel of equivalent power will feel significantly faster than a petrol, it's only when you're really pushing it that the wider power band and higher revs of a decent petrol will be useful.