GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Do So Many People Switch To TDI?

path

Ready to race!
i agree with the above assessment. my TDI had made the same if not more power than my GTI at speeds below 35 MPH...it was was not even a GTD.

after driving a GTI for 4 years i switched to a TDI. the US version of the Golf TDI has the sport suspension and 140PS motor. it was fun to drive, great torque, great milage. i really loved the car, but switched back to GTI a year later. i missed the top end horsepower and found i liked the styling points of GTI much better. seems silly but the black headliner, steering wheel and plaid seats of the GTI make a big impression on me.

i VWofA brought the GTD to the states that would be fantastic.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I've seen more "GOLF" 2.5L than TDI's around town. I guess that assumption doesn't apply to where I live.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
i agree with the above assessment. my TDI had made the same if not more power than my GTI at speeds below 35 MPH...it was was not even a GTD.

after driving a GTI for 4 years i switched to a TDI. the US version of the Golf TDI has the sport suspension and 140PS motor. it was fun to drive, great torque, great milage. i really loved the car, but switched back to GTI a year later. i missed the top end horsepower and found i liked the styling points of GTI much better. seems silly but the black headliner, steering wheel and plaid seats of the GTI make a big impression on me.

i VWofA brought the GTD to the states that would be fantastic.

Got it. Looks like the GTI TSI is for me. My first VW and I want the torque + HP (will be chipping). But I can appreciate the TDI a little more now.

Cyclehobby

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never owned a diesel and I'm very happy with the mileage my GTI gets (when I try for good mileage), but, I'd consider a TDI. Though I agree that the styling of the GTI (black headliner, seats, trim, etc.) sets it apart - and that's important to me - I'm intrigued by the torque (fun feel) and great mileage a TDI offers.

A friend of mine just bought a Passat TDI and he loves it. He can't say enough about the feel, the fun and the unbelievable economy he gets with it. I've driven it, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

In the past, the biggest negative about diesel is the cost of fuel (as well as the premium put on the price of a VW diesel). Lately, though, as compared to the cost of premium gas, around here diesel is mostly within a cent or 2. So, if you're managing 28-30 mpg from your GTI on average and you drive quite a bit, you have a pretty good arguement to go for a TDI that gets 40-45 mpg (if mileage is what drives you). The way I see it, if gas prices go up again (and they will), as long as the cost of diesel is close to premium gas, more people will be looking at TDIs. I know I could be one of them.

I'm perfectly happy and content with my GTI, but it's nice to know that there is an alternative out there that's economical (very much so), yet is also a nice, fun to drive way to go.

MM48

Passed Driver's Ed
As a previous GTI owner, and a current 2011 Golf TDI owner, here's my take.

The mileage is good, especially trips. The torque response is good, if you drop it into sport mode, it feels much more like a gas engine with the extra boost.

But all the other things that make the GTI fun, are gone.

The Golf suspension sucks compared to the GTI, period. Everyone keeps saying the TDI has a sport suspension, what sport?? Certainly not motorsports. You cannot make a turn without the car scrubbing speed from all the chassis roll. In order to make fast turns, you cannot charge the turns at all, slow up early roll through and hit the throttle in the apex, but the car still scrubs. Also, you'll need take the inside line on turns, especially left, to minimize the body roll.

The cool steering wheel is gone, and the seats aren't as good. Definately feel the difference in the increased ride height, and thats not very good.

Oh, and make sure you keep the air pressure up at 40psi cold, or the conti's constantly feel like a bicycle riding over dried mud. There's a big mileage difference too if your air pressure isnt high enough.

To be fair, if you're coming from any other car but a GTI, you'll probably be impressed with a TDI. If you're a GTI owner, you're going to want to do a suspension transplant asap.

It's a pretty decent car to drive around southern california, freeways and streets. I love the bluetooth setup in the car, VW did a great job on that. Between a baby seat, the baby gear, golf clubs and the rest of my junk, I can still hit up target and go grocery shopping and have room for everything, it's a good family car, especially with the low cost of diesel right now. Also, unlike the 2.0T GTI, the TDI doesnt drink oil. I had to put so much oil in the GTI between oil changes, it was nuts.

The other big difference in percieved performance is that fact that the TDI does not "throw you back" in your seat like the GTI does. So it feels slower. However, if you're not paying attention, you'll be hitting 90 pretty quick on the freeway. The car accelerates from 50 to 100 very fast, it's just not the fastest 0-60mph car. Once the diesel gets a head of steam, watch out. It definately has passing power at any speed, especially on the freeway. However, it does not have the "light speed to endor" passing speed as the GTI. Sorry, went to disneyland this weekend.

I'm not bashing the TDI, it's a good car. I'm just giving an honest opinion of both vehicles. I'm currently driving VW#6, the wife's jetta is VW#7. The GTI was GTI #3. If you are interested in either car, borrow a buddy's for a weekend, a ride around the block from the dealership in either car tells you nothing.

MM48

ick

Ready to race!
There are certainly more TDIs in Europe than here in the U.S. They are getting much more popular though and when purchasing mine in So. Cal had to wait a bit to find one equipped as I wanted it. They tend to fly off the lots here. To me the car just delivers the right combination of handling, fuel economy, is very well appointed with great fit and finish and is still fun to drive. I had been waiting on the R to get here previous to my purchase of the TDI but needed a car sooner than its arrival in the U.S. I don't have any regrets at all and plan to keep this car in the family as long as it runs which I expect will be quite a long time.

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
It's a shame that you don't get the GTD in the US as I think it answers quite a few of the issues with the TDI that have been raised in this thread.

A big thing that drew me to it was that it looks like a GTI (chrome strips instead of red and a different exhaust) and has the interior of the GTI (minus the red stitching). The suspension is dropped by 15mm all around which is almost GTI spec and it also gets the sound generator from the GTI so, on the inside at least, it sounds better than any other 4-pot diesel I've driven.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I like the Golf TDI.

I'd miss the plaid thou. And the cost of fuel and the DSG lag was a turn off as well. Plus the pricing. I know in theory you are going to get a better resule value but when I bought the GTI I test drove a non-CPO Golf with twice the miles and no features aside from heated seats. Dealer still wants roughtly the same price as my CPO GTI and wouldn't budge on price.

For reference at that time the cheapest MKVI Golf TDI I found in a regional search was $18,500 for 74,000 miles on the odometer!

mayham85

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a seat leon 1.4 tsi 125 hp - a sister of golf - beforme my 1.6 tdi 105 hp highline mk6. tsi had better performance thats a reality. but tdi feels much better for tourqe on the road. and great range. with 1.4 tsi i could make maximum 800 850 km per 50-55 lt with most economical driving methods. But with tdi now i never take my foot from gas pedal and i get 900 -960 - 1000 km with 50-55 lt fuel. This is very important. Here 1 lt gas is about 2.4 $ and diesel is 2 $ per liter. this makes 9 $ per galon for gas and 7.56 $ per galon for diesel. it makes too much expensive fuel cost.

And i have more fun with better tourqe feel than 1.4 tsi.

By the way in turkey more than %50 of the cars are diesel. gasoline engines are sold to use LPG kits. if someone has only gasoline engine trust me he is very rich here :D

McQueen77

Banned
turbo/gasoline vehicle for me until it isn't doable any longer. MM48, good honest review.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Diesels in the states versus in the rest of world is for different reasons.
Everywhere is about torque. prefer the low end torque of a diesel.
But in the US there are not many because the only consideration here is mpg and money in peoples pockets.

In Europe the big drive for so many diesels is the cleaner co2 output and yearly motor tax on cars - plus mpg.
They emit lower co2 and are less impactful to environment and in countries where the yearly tax is based on the emissions it is diesels that are the better choice. Even a mildly powerful petrol car can cost hundreds more in tax than a diesel. In Ireland this was brought in in 2008 and basically wiped the rx-8 out. Motor tax I think went to over $3000 per year. And that would be same for any big engine cars.
Example there:
GTD manual is 134 g/km CO2 annual road tax is €225
GTD w/ DSG is 142 g/km CO2 annual road tax is €330
GTI manual is 170 g/km CO2 annual road tax is €481
GTI w/ DSG is 173 g/km CO2 annual road tax is €667

Hard to see why anyone then would get a DSG GTI due to 3 g/km costing nearly €200 more a year! - plus costs €3500 more for DSG.

And yes, comparing diesel bhp figures with petrol bhp figure is nonsense.
The mkiv GT TDI with 150bhp was a beast of a car. So much better because of the torque than the 180bhp golf
I always feel need to look at the torque figures on cars. That's the really driving fun and power sensation.

Last edited:

Searchingtom

Heater in the Winter ?

I live in Wisconsin and I was told by some TDI owners that the diesel does not provide enough warm air on cold winter days compared to a gas engine.

Can anyone confirm that ?

YeahBuddy

Go Kart Champion
TDI Driver, and YEA I definitely would have preferred a GTD, but as far as comparing to a GTI, you can always make a TDI look like a GTI but you can never give a GTI 40+MPG and that nice diesel sound :)