GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 on OEM Intake/Downpipe?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Anyone do it? Anyone have any dyno numbers with it? I know APR has a program for it so someone out there must have done it! I want more power than the stage 1 I currently have on my AWD Tiguan but don't want any added NVH whatsoever.

Last edited:

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
Your Tiguan has a traditional automatic transmission right and not DSG? If so I wonder how that transmission holds up to k04 power levels.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Your Tiguan has a traditional automatic transmission right and not DSG? If so I wonder how that transmission holds up to k04 power levels.

Wondering the same thing. A contact at APR said that they have not heard of any issues and I have a very mod friendly dealership. That being said I have still reached out to a couple vendors to ask their opinions as well.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
My A3 has been stock downpipe and intake with k04 for a while now, but no dyno runs. APR says around 300hp @ the crank for this application as it is a de-tuned file, essentially. Talk to APR, but thats pretty much all the info I've received from them on it.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Hmm, that isn't a whole lot of gain over stage 1 for $2500, I wonder what the TQ figures look like....I was hoping for a little bit more. I wondering if gutting the first cat in the downpipe would help or cause so much turbulence that it would make things worse?

P

plac

I think the price of a K04 kit is a waste without the high output normal file. Not even worth the work involved. It would be like in beween stage 2 and K04. (Tho i have no first hand experience, the numbers tell the story.)

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I think the price of a K04 kit is a waste without the high output normal file. Not even worth the work involved. It would be like in beween stage 2 and K04. (Tho i have no first hand experience, the numbers tell the story.)

Although the work involved isn't an issue (that's the fun part), I tend to agree. As far as i can tell though, it's also the ONLY way to make more power than stage 1 without increasing any NVH.

P

plac

Although the work involved isn't an issue (that's the fun part), I tend to agree. As far as i can tell though, it's also the ONLY way to make more power than stage 1 without increasing any NVH.

if you don't have stage 1 first... then it IS a good deal.. cuz you arent paying for a $600 flash before you get the K04 kit. Going straight into it is the only way to get value from the low output file. Hell i don't even run an intake on my high output. I'm saving that for when i get bored and need 15-20 extra hp. You can add a downpipe later when you're bored, and add almost 60hp (engine).

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, that isn't a whole lot of gain over stage 1 for $2500, I wonder what the TQ figures look like....I was hoping for a little bit more. I wondering if gutting the first cat in the downpipe would help or cause so much turbulence that it would make things worse?

Uhhh The hell it isnt..
Get 300 HP out of your car for $2500.
I ran Carbonio and stock exhaust for about 3 months. Just like that there was a HUGE improvement.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
APR used to state that you could only do this with a CCTA motor because the stock downpipe can't account for the extra O2 sensor that is in the turbo on the CBFA. Has this changed?

P

plac

APR used to state that you could only do this with a CCTA motor because the stock downpipe can't account for the extra O2 sensor that is in the turbo on the CBFA. Has this changed?

they have some fine print. your CBFA downpipe has to be modified by adding a extra bung.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Uhhh The hell it isnt..
Get 300 HP out of your car for $2500.
I ran Carbonio and stock exhaust for about 3 months. Just like that there was a HUGE improvement.

A "HUGE" improvement is not a quantifiable amount that can be translated into power/$. Thanks though.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Intake and Catback $1000 15 HP
Stage 1 $600 30 hp
So $1600 you get maybe 45 HP
Intake and Axle back $2000
Stage 2 chip $600 +60 hp
Total$2600 with a 60 hp increase
What else is there?
You need to drive a K04 to understand
When I was K04 w/out DP I Tied a 5.0 Mustang from a 15 MPH roll to 110 mph....
A M3 slowly pulled away from me.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Intake and Catback $1000 15 HP
Stage 1 $600 30 hp
So $1600 you get maybe 45 HP
Intake and Axle back $2000
Stage 2 chip $600 +60 hp
Total$2600 with a 60 hp increase
What else is there?
You need to drive a K04 to understand
When I was K04 w/out DP I Tied a 5.0 Mustang from a 15 MPH roll to 110 mph....
A M3 slowly pulled away from me.

Your numbers are so far off. I have no illusions about this car. It will never be fast. Just trying to make some more power without wasting a ton of money.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Your numbers are so far off. I have no illusions about this car. It will never be fast. Just trying to make some more power without wasting a ton of money.

Please don't give up on the full K04 setup. I think the idea of having a very fast AWD Tiguan is awesome.

Would some strategic dynamat/fat-mat/similar placement eat up a lot of the added NVH from an intake and DP? I always did it on the cars I put systems in, but I also lined my old Bronco with it because the headers, intake and exhaust were horrible to hear for any sustained period. It's pretty expensive to install if you don't want to do it yourself, and the panels and carpets in a newer Tiguan are a bigger PITA than in an old Bronco if you do do it yourself, but if can definitely turn the car into a tomb.

That said, I have no idea how expensive it would be to have a K04-appropriate DP fabbed if there are none available from the normal makers. But, I'd throw in $20 if you did a kickstarter drive for "Impossibly Cool Tiguan."

Also, it might be useful to convince yourself to look at the stg 1 tune investment as a sunk cost. You can't can't recoup what you paid, so don't factor that into your K04 decision; just think about the relative performance gain from stg 1 to whatever K04 setup you plan to do. I use my economist logic to justify questionable financial decisions in my head all the time. It just never works on my wife, and that's why I still have a K03. :(