GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jalopnik's Review of the Golf R

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Seems fair to me. I'd love one... just didn't want to cough up the $37k for a loaded one.

Also, LOL @ the absolute hatred in the comments!

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Seems fair to me. I'd love one... just didn't want to cough up the $37k for a loaded one.

Also, LOL @ the absolute hatred in the comments!

SOOOOOO much hate. Haha.

DummyBear

Ready to race!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I didn't decide it wasn't worth it, I decided I didn't want to spend that on a car at the time. If I wanted to spend that, I would have got the R.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
First off, I love to have a GTI, let alone an R. I would be really hesitant to buy one with the rumored powerplants in the MK7 GTI and TDI/GTD(please come to North America), AWD notwithstanding. Right now For that $$ I'd sooner get a A3 Quattro S-Line and APR it.

2 cents.

copizza

Ready to race!
Its come to this..... GTI owners are just plain jealous. Its a better car all around. GTI owners say "its not worth it", in all likelihood because you cant afford an R. It's envy, nothing more nothing less.

You dont have to own and R. You dont have to read every review about the R and then come on here and say "blah blah". Who gives a shit anyway. You want race your GTI against my R? Great... what the hell is that going to prove?

Why are GTI owners so darn upset? Why do GTI owners care so much about the R?

And as for R owners complaining about this and that and how my car doesnt do this. Just sell the car if you don't like it. Get a Camry. It is not a track ready, its is not a saudi drifter....

Lastly, for every GTI driving who thinks the MK7 is going to have 250-275 horses, you are nuts. Do you not understand how VW thinks? Why is this thread in existence? They do things the VW way. They are not sitting in the board room saying "yep lets give the American kids what they want! they finally deserve the ultimate GTI which we could have given them 20x's over".

Anyway... love everyone here.

livefast

Ready to race!
Its come to this..... GTI owners are just plain jealous. Its a better car all around. GTI owners say "its not worth it", in all likelihood because you cant afford an R. It's envy, nothing more nothing less.

You dont have to own and R. You dont have to read every review about the R and then come on here and say "blah blah". Who gives a shit anyway. You want race your GTI against my R? Great... what the hell is that going to prove?

Why are GTI owners so darn upset? Why do GTI owners care so much about the R?

And as for R owners complaining about this and that and how my car doesnt do this. Just sell the car if you don't like it. Get a Camry. It is not a track ready, its is not a saudi drifter....

Lastly, for every GTI driving who thinks the MK7 is going to have 250-275 horses, you are nuts. Do you not understand how VW thinks? Why is this thread in existence? They do things the VW way. They are not sitting in the board room saying "yep lets give the American kids what they want! they finally deserve the ultimate GTI which we could have given them 20x's over".

Anyway... love everyone here.

Unless you have plans to mod the R, I honestly don't think its worth the substantial price difference. You say we're all just jealous? I feel like you're just trying to justify your purchase by saying "Its a better car all around." Oh really? We share the same body and you don't get the Euro features that everyone loves. We have pretty much the same interior (save for accents and what not) and have identical seats.

Really, I don't think many GTI owners are "upset" about the R.... why would we be? Is voicing an opinion that its not worth the price difference equivalent to being upset?

But if someone's planning to mod the R, then it's a great car. It comes stock with a KO4 turbo. Just a tune itself is gonna be beastly. Also, the rising blue exterior color is super sexy. My opinion still stands that a stock R is not worth it at all, while a modded one is worth it.

Also, how do you know the GTI won't get a power increase. If a Stage 1 tune brings it to 254 hp already, it'll be pretty easy for VW to modify the existing engine. Many other hot hatches are starting to get a lot more power than the GTI and who knows how VW will respond. Look at the Genesis Coupe (not a hot hatch but still a 4 cylinder) - it went up to a whopping 274 horsepower out of a 4 cylinder (Probably doesn't make that to the wheels, but it still looks nice on paper and is still a great increase.)

Bottom line is no one knows what VW is going to do. You certainly should not be calling anyone nuts when they think VW is adding power. It seems very feasible.

copizza

Ready to race!
Unless you have plans to mod the R, I honestly don't think its worth the substantial price difference. You say we're all just jealous? I feel like you're just trying to justify your purchase by saying "Its a better car all around." Oh really? We share the same body and you don't get the Euro features that everyone loves. We have pretty much the same interior (save for accents and what not) and have identical seats.

Really, I don't think many GTI owners are "upset" about the R.... why would we be? Is voicing an opinion that its not worth the price difference equivalent to being upset?

But if someone's planning to mod the R, then it's a great car. It comes stock with a KO4 turbo. Just a tune itself is gonna be beastly. Also, the rising blue exterior color is super sexy. My opinion still stands that a stock R is not worth it at all, while a modded one is worth it.

Also, how do you know the GTI won't get a power increase. If a Stage 1 tune brings it to 254 hp already, it'll be pretty easy for VW to modify the existing engine. Many other hot hatches are starting to get a lot more power than the GTI and who knows how VW will respond. Look at the Genesis Coupe (not a hot hatch but still a 4 cylinder) - it went up to a whopping 274 horsepower out of a 4 cylinder (Probably doesn't make that to the wheels, but it still looks nice on paper and is still a great increase.)

Bottom line is no one knows what VW is going to do. You certainly should not be calling anyone nuts when they think VW is adding power. It seems very feasible.

Have you seen the Genesis? They should have given it 325 hp....

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
The Golf R is a nice car, not worth what they want for it but a nice car none-the-less. After having driven it, it wasnt the say all end all of cars, but it did have a grown up feel to it, which is attractive. However, the 69/100 they graded it seems to be spot on, they didnt go all out on purpose with the car, they made it above average while still maintaining its sensibilities.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
When you already own a MKV/MKVI GTI, its impossible to justify the cost increase, IMO.

I am in this camp. I owe 13k on my car. A base Golf R with 0% puts me about 37k total over 66 months. That is 24k difference.

I simply do not think a STOCK Golf R will be a 24k better car than my APR stg 2 TSI GTI with KW V3 coilovers.

Simple as that.

I would venture to say unless you leased the GTI, the vast majority of GTI owners would have NO issue affording an R. Myself included.

Get off it man. I'd gladly race your Golf R, at pretty much anything.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Even with all that, I probably would have one in my garage if you could disable ESP.

A Tornado Red 2dr with no package to be exact (and I'd throw on my V3s).