GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

License Plate Holes

copizza

Ready to race!
One thing about the swift plate is they hang a little lower so there's a chance you'll scrape it off. Another thing is they do stick out a little so you see the bracket.

They do hang down low. Since I live in Colorado, I am more worried about the snow. I'm wondering if we got 5 inches of wet snow would it just tear off? That's why I bought the cheap one.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
They do hang down low. Since I live in Colorado, I am more worried about the snow. I'm wondering if we got 5 inches of wet snow would it just tear off? That's why I bought the cheap one.

That's the reason why I didn't get it. If you bolt it up securely to the undertray, it won't fall off easily but still, there's a risk. By the cheap one, you mean the one with no motor right?

copizza

Ready to race!
That's the reason why I didn't get it. If you bolt it up securely to the undertray, it won't fall off easily but still, there's a risk. By the cheap one, you mean the one with no motor right?

Yes..... no motor is the cheap one at $60.00. i think the motorized is $120.00.

joenuke1

Because it looks really really really bad........:thumbdown:

Personal opinion. Since I'm in NY we already have by far the ugliest plate in the Union. Where I put it and how it sits can't make it any worse. It's f*cking school bus yellow with sh*t blue letters. My bracket does allow me to have it very near centered. I can remove it in 30 seconds if I want, shows etc. Add to that, no holes if I resell to someone out of state. Best answer is to get rid of the front plate law but this is NY and we are a total mess.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I see this as completely pointless imho. Why remove the front license plate only to install it again? You will have to get a front licenses plate anyways. It will look weird to have bumper plugs than a tow hook mounted plate. If your car was never drilled I would understand but, there is already a hole there so whats the point?

Plus if you're thinking about running without a front plate in a 2 plate state your asking for potential trouble. For me I have tinted front windows so if I have to remove it, it will be $90 down the drain. Not to mention my tinted side markers so there goes another $50. All that will have to be fixed for a completed fix it ticket.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Flyboy, do you do a lot of driving in the city? If not just go without the front plate. Cops in the suburbs won't really bother you, at least in my experience. I haven't run a front plate in 25 years and have only been pulled over once, and that was just a warning no ticket.

copizza

Ready to race!
Personal opinion. Since I'm in NY we already have by far the ugliest plate in the Union. Where I put it and how it sits can't make it any worse. It's f*cking school bus yellow with sh*t blue letters. My bracket does allow me to have it very near centered. I can remove it in 30 seconds if I want, shows etc. Add to that, no holes if I resell to someone out of state. Best answer is to get rid of the front plate law but this is NY and we are a total mess.

You are right, def just my opinion. However, i am from NY and the plates arent the most attractive. Colorado has nice plates, just dont want to drill into the bumper.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Flyboy, do you do a lot of driving in the city? If not just go without the front plate. Cops in the suburbs won't really bother you, at least in my experience. I haven't run a front plate in 25 years and have only been pulled over once, and that was just a warning no ticket.

You're lucky. I ran no front plate for a less than a day and got a ticket while parked in front of my mom's house for 10 minutes. I'm not worried about being pulled over. I'm worried about it when it's parked. In NYC, we park on the street a lot when we go places.

When I wanna take some pix:

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
You're lucky. I ran no front plate for a less than a day and got a ticket while parked in front of my mom's house for 10 minutes. I'm not worried about being pulled over. I'm worried about it when it's parked. In NYC, we park on the street a lot when we go places.

When I wanna take some pix:

exactly, that's why I asked him if does a lot of driving in the city. They do the same thing in Chicago

joenuke1

In Upstate NY meter maids and town cops are the worst about the front plate. State police and county sherrifs have better things to do apparently.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
Pay extra to get personalized plates and rock them! Here in Texas we have around 50 different plate styles to choose from.

...Sent from my phone with typos...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would never drive my car with a plate on like that. I'd rather drive with it off and then only put it on when parking.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I would never drive my car with a plate on like that. I'd rather drive with it off and then only put it on when parking.

Imagine you take your wife/gf out for dinner and tell her "wait, i need to put on the plate" :lol:.

But that's what the swift hideaway plate is for.