GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Focus ST vs Golf R. Video.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hehe, I left a little comment... "That's odd because according to Motor Trend, the Golf R was faster than the BRZ around Laguna Seca. The result – drumroll, please – was a respectable 1:51.1, which is 0.2 quicker than the lap time for the Subaru BRZ."

You forgot or conveniently left out an important detail. They had to fit the Golf R with max performance summer tires (Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2) to match the laptimes of the stock BRZ. If you added the same tires to the BRZ, the Golf R would have been behind by 1-2 seconds/lap.

I agree with the reviewer in the video. The Golf R is a solid daily driver/GT car, but not as sporty or track-ready as the other two. Nothing wrong with that, and AWD has its advantages in inclement weather.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
No disrespect, but your statement is not fact and is only speculation. You are totally guessing this. The Focus ST and BRZ come stock with dedicated summer tires. The Focus ST actually comes stock with these same exact tires (Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2).

No disrespect taken. It's not speculation though. If you search, there are a number of track results out there showing the BRZ picks up 2 seconds easily on a 1.5 min course just by switching to performance summer tires.

In any event, probably should have noted in your comment that that was the Golf R with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tires to avoid confusion.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Believe me when I say that with the traction control disabled and on GYEA2's the R would eat the Focus and the BRZ on like for like tyres. :D

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
The recaros are better for fat ppl than the seats in the GTI/R.
I actually don't agree with this. I'm a 32-33" waist and the ST seats are very snug. My friend who is a little wider than me doesn't fit very well in the seats. We both fit more than comfortably in my autobahn seats.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ as a fat first, then skinny, now fat again person, I'd definitely think the side lower bolsters on the autobahns would be worse than the ST's from the looks of it. I know my autobahns in the GTI were starting to get uncomfortable. #fatty

glory

Ready to race!
The seats in the ST are definately not for fat people. Being relatively skinny I could feel the bolsters on my side, if I was any larger it would be uncomfortable.

I don't understand why there is so much hate for the ST on this forum. Yes we drive VW's but doesn't mean the ST is any less of a car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
There is less hate for the ST than there is for the R :laugh:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
^ha! What he said.
The seats in the ST are definately not for fat people. Being relatively skinny I could feel the bolsters on my side, if I was any larger it would be uncomfortable.

I don't understand why there is so much hate for the ST on this forum. Yes we drive VW's but doesn't mean the ST is any less of a car.

Not sure if serious...I didn't see much hate:iono:

Last edited:

glory

Ready to race!
Between this forum and Vortex, my productivity at work hasn't been the best:D

Hahah I hear ya, been trying to stay off during work, but every day I get the itch and take a peek. But as today is the last day before Xmas holidays, I gotta scratch my Itch.

But back on topic, I have never been in an R, but have been in the ST. To me being an enthusiast and like to tinker with my cars I would choose the R as a better platform to take to new heights, where as the ST is a good basis and shouldn't be over looked.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. This is coming from a guy who used hate on the focus more than any other car because my dealer, who also sells ford, only had the base focus as a loaner and I hated everything about it. I mean everything. My saying back then (07-09) was "fuckn ford focus". Let me stress this, it sucked and I always loved my gti(at the time) that much more after picking her up... I'm sure the higher end sportier focus was better but I never drove one. The advent of the ST makes me wanna give it a chance.

Stock for stock the ST holds its own. I wonder what kinda after market exists And what the tuning potential is...

glory

Ready to race!
Agreed. This is coming from a guy who used hate on the focus more than any other car because my dealer, who also sells ford, only had the base focus as a loaner and I hated everything about it. I mean everything. My saying back then (07-09) was "fuckn ford focus". Let me stress this, it sucked and I always loved my gti(at the time) that much more after picking her up... I'm sure the higher end sportier focus was better but I never drove one. The advent of the ST makes me wanna give it a chance.

Stock for stock the ST holds its own. I wonder what kinda after market exists And what the tuning potential is...

Haha fair enough. I used to have an '04 ZX3.

After market there is stuff out for it. focusfanatics.com or focaljet.com are the big focus forums I know of and I have seen dynos of tunes for the ST.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298960

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Tune looks great... but car is still FWD and plasticy inside.