GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paid off!!

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
Good for you! Another 5 years and I'll be golden myself haha!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I don't get it. Why pay if off when your gonna buy the 7? I would just not bothered.

I would have to agree. Paying off a car and turn around to trade it in for a newer model (along with a new loan) doesn't make much sense but whatever.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Congrats. :) Always a good feeling.

jni3

Ready to race!
good for you.

urfavoritemazn

Ready to race!
Confuckinggrats man!!!!!
Still have ~3 1/2 years left on mine....haha

McQueen77

Banned
I would have to agree. Paying off a car and turn around to trade it in for a newer model (along with a new loan) doesn't make much sense but whatever.

yup

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Grats! But car loans are cheap, I'm taking my sweet time hahaha

butchered by autocorrect

Soflogtimk6

Go Kart Champion
I might as well have paid it off now because the MK7 golf R won't be available til about 2016 and I only had 1400 left to pay. Would have been paid off in about 3 months regardless.

GUYGTI

Delete this thread! I just got mine and I can't stand seeing this thread...it's probably not true anyway...8)

Chaos Theory

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't get it. Why pay if off when your gonna buy the 7? I would just not bothered.

Because rolling potential negative equity into a new car loan somehow makes sense? Or paying interest at a rate faster than investing can net makes sense?

Just sounds like you're hating to be honest.

OP - Congrats!

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Because rolling potential negative equity into a new car loan somehow makes sense? Or paying interest at a rate faster than investing can net makes sense?

Just sounds like you're hating to be honest.

OP - Congrats!

Everyone scenario is different... But to pay a car off early just to trade it in is kinda silly because everyday and every mile depreciates your payed-off "investment". If your going to keep your car long term... it may not be a bad ideal.

Chaos Theory

Passed Driver's Ed
Everyone scenario is different... But to pay a car off early just to trade it in is kinda silly because everyday and every mile depreciates your payed-off "investment". If your going to keep your car long term... it may not be a bad ideal.

Very true.

The thing I don't understand is why people do (or are allowed) to roll negative equity into a new car purchase. When I used to work in sales I would see so many people come in with negative equity (whether from a rapidly depreciating vehicle, poor financing decision, or rolling the remainder of a previous loan in to a new one), and be owing upwards of 200 to 300% of their current vehicle's worth!

At the very least it is a good idea to never owe more than your vehicle is worth at any given time.. That way, if you want to trade, or find yourself in a bind, you have some leverage. I use this principle throughout all the vehicle I've owned, and early on it allowed me to buy below market value (I learned what to look for), and sell high a few months to a couple years later. Very rarely if ever have I lost money on a vehicle (and that includes maintenance). However, once I got in to newer cars, and heavy modifications that became another story lol!