GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5L Platform General Chat

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
hey guys, i am 500 miles away from hitting 60k on my car and looking to find out what are the things to watch out for and replace when i go into the dealership. I feel like they would hit me with a hefty bill and I'm trying to avoid that. I have changed my brakes and rotated my brand new tires just last week. So all I'm really looking at is the oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, anything else i am missing?

Also, my ac is not working at all. I do have heat flowing through but no ac. I don't think ill have dealership fixing this but has anyone had this issue before?

60k is
oil change
brake fluid flush
Coolant flush
spark plugs
air filter
cabin filter
rotate tires

if you really wanna go above and beyond, you can change your coil packs and transmission fluid, but those arent necessary

for your AC, try one of the DIY AC recharge kits from autozone/pepeboys
it might do the trick to bring you AC back to life without spending hundreds on a dealer service

also for your 60k, going to an independant shop will save you A LOT of money. dealer is probably gonna charge $200-$250 an hour for basic simple things

Alen

Passed Driver's Ed
This is great! Thank you very much. :respekt:

60k is
oil change
brake fluid flush
Coolant flush
spark plugs
air filter
cabin filter
rotate tires

if you really wanna go above and beyond, you can change your coil packs and transmission fluid, but those arent necessary

for your AC, try one of the DIY AC recharge kits from autozone/pepeboys
it might do the trick to bring you AC back to life without spending hundreds on a dealer service

also for your 60k, going to an independant shop will save you A LOT of money. dealer is probably gonna charge $200-$250 an hour for basic simple things

Alen

Passed Driver's Ed
just got back from dealership and received some bad news. For awhile now i had no ac in my car and just been riding the wave. All fans working and heat is working fine. Mechanic did a diagnosis and it looks like a/c compressor is toast.

Just wondering if any 2.5 owners had this issue and how did you take care of it. I am looking at remanufactured a/c compressors from eBay and installing myself - limited budget.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
just got back from dealership and received some bad news. For awhile now i had no ac in my car and just been riding the wave. All fans working and heat is working fine. Mechanic did a diagnosis and it looks like a/c compressor is toast.

Just wondering if any 2.5 owners had this issue and how did you take care of it. I am looking at remanufactured a/c compressors from eBay and installing myself - limited budget.
Hi Allen, I'm not trying to get your hopes up but be careful and get a second opinion. The dealer told one of my close friends that his compressor was toast, he declined for the same reasons you did and took the car to an independent garage. They found that the problem was the pressure switch and confirmed the same by briefly bypassing the pressure switch. They bought the pressure switch (#18) from the dealer and the AC was working shortly after that.
http://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/golf+r32+gti+rabbit/go/2010-649/2/260-260041/

Apparently VW has had a run of faulty pressure switches.

IMO I would not buy a remanufactured AC Compressor, but thats just me.

Last edited:

tBass84

Ready to race!
Hey everyone! I know this is being discussed a lot in different forums, but nothing concrete on the 2.5

What is everyone running for spark plugs and coil packs on their 2.5?!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davserbic

Ready to race!
Hey everyone! I know this is being discussed a lot in different forums, but nothing concrete on the 2.5

What is everyone running for spark plugs and coil packs on their 2.5?!

Cheers!

Bosch Double Platinum spark plugs with Stock coilpacks.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Hey 2.5'ers,

One of the mods I've been wanting to do for awhile is to upgrade the shift knob. I came across this thread here and love the look of it:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3616710#/forumsite/21302/topics/3616710?page=1

But I haven't managed to find the knob for the life of me lol

Has anyone done the mod and if so any tips on where to get the knob?

Cheers'

I have an a3 with that knob. I may be replacing it if your interested

Weakspecs

Ready to race!

I would get a second opinion and also might as well try the $30 can from autozone or oriellys and see if it works since the compressor might be blown anyways. my ac didn't blow cold was blowing and I was going to have it professionally recharged but didn't have the funds to pay $200-$300 for it.