GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I too old? :)

schwabo

Ready to race!
I get what I want.....I'm 31 and always drive what appeals to me, not what others might think......fuck 'em

ides1056

Ready to race!
Also a XC skier.
Drove the kids to school this morning, over the hill in a light snow. Others were driving slower than my schedule allowed, and I did the fourth gear pass, which tops out around 90? Then drove in stop and go once I hit the valley, grannying along at 2K rpm. Got 24 mpg. Practical car. Hell of a school bus.
We have snow coming tonight and tomorrow which will extend our season.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Hey, just curious to read different ages of the r owners out there. My wife says I'm too old to buy an r, that it's a 20 something car. At 44 :yikes: I'm sure I would bring the age average up, but for some reason I'm really drawn to this car (even though it's probably the least practical car for me to buy as I drive a shit ton of miles for work ~20-25k/yr). It must be my mid-life crisis kicking it.

The only hatchback I ever owned was a pos brown Toyota Corolla in college, even at that time was about 15 years old!! Mostly, I've had boring sedans or suv's. I did have an '02 BMW 328i which I've regretted selling for the last 2 years.

Thought it would be fun, or depressing, to learn the average age. :)

Thanks!

Blue

No you are not! I'm 40 and just got an R... Tried a "grown up" cap for a few years - Audi A8L D2 - and found myself practically falling asleep from boredom on my daily commute. The R changed that quickly!

Cheers. M :)

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
I think you are forgetting a mid-late 80's Buick he may have driven....86-88 Buick Grand National or a GNX....not your fathers typical Buick....

This is true - a nasty, snorty ride of the 80s. Beyond those already mentioned, Buick's cupboard of anything resembling 'exciting' has been pretty bare for decades. If I were King of GM, I would've jettisoned Buick over Pontiac, and beefed up the sporting nature of the Holden-based cars and the Solstice. GM desperately needed to get younger demographics, not older. I predict they'll be reorganizing (bankruptcy) again inside of 6 years. Only Cadillac is healthy.

Csg_r

Ready to race!
I am 25 so feels like on the younger side but I would say get what you want! My coworkers in 40s driving Porsches, Ms and few sti. I don't see why this car would be too old for you!!!

blueste

Ready to race!
I am 25 so feels like on the younger side but I would say get what you want! My coworkers in 40s driving Porsches, Ms and few sti. I don't see why this car would be too old for you!!!

Sounds like a great place to work!:D

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
Unless daddy buys it.Will be 33 this year. at the apr bbq i was comforted in knowing a good majority that showed had a lil age on them.

Butchered by Tapatalk using Galaxy S2
Comments/assumptions like this really tick me off. I'm 22, but I picked up my car from the dealer when I was 21. Traded in my B7 S4 for it. Neither of my parents put anything into any purchase, not even a penny. I've been working full time since the summer after my junior year in high school.

You're basically assuming the younger crowd can't do it by themselves. Sure, many get it from their parents but many who do, also don't seem to give a flying fuck about their car. Don't be so quick to make such assumptions

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Unless daddy buys it. Will be 33 this year. at the apr bbq i was comforted in knowing a good majority that showed had a lil age on them.

Butchered by Tapatalk using Galaxy S2

Comments/assumptions like this really tick me off. I'm 22, but I picked up my car from the dealer when I was 21. Traded in my B7 S4 for it. Neither of my parents put anything into any purchase, not even a penny. I've been working full time since the summer after my junior year in high school.

You're basically assuming the younger crowd can't do it by themselves. Sure, many get it from their parents but many who do, also don't seem to give a flying fuck about their car. Don't be so quick to make such assumptions

1) If you've lived on your own since the time of buying your B7 S4 - hats off to ya!! You are an amazing young man/woman.

2) If you've lived in mommy and daddy's house while paying on your B7 S4? Then you have no clue what it takes to build equity in life - while surviving the normal rigors of being truly self-sufficient. Add a house pmt; insurance; taxes; utilities; etc. onto your monthly 'nut'? Your ability to dine on fine automobiles goes down JUST a bit.

That's not a slam, BTW. I felt the same way as you once upon a time. I paid off a nearly-new Honda Prelude very quickly wayy back....when I was living in Daddy's house. Five years later, with a wife and a new baby? The challenges were significantly harder.

There's a huge difference. Looking fwd to your reply with your honest answer.

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Why don't you guys take this to PM instead of cluttering up the thread?

This thread is for us old geezers. So we don't feel so old. :w00t: Although I was just thinking today, the first Tornado Red MK5 GTI I saw was driven by a 50+ year old guy at work. And now here I am driving a Tornado Red MK6 GTI. :laugh:

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
1) If you've lived on your own since the time of buying your B7 S4 - hats off to ya!! You are an amazing young man/woman.

2) If you've lived in mommy and daddy's house while paying on your B7 S4? Then you have no clue what it takes to build equity in life - while surviving the normal rigors of being truly self-sufficient. Add a house pmt; insurance; taxes; utilities; etc. onto your monthly 'nut'? Your ability to dine on fine automobiles goes down JUST a bit.

That's not a slam, BTW. I felt the same way as you once upon a time. I paid off a nearly-new Honda Prelude very quickly wayy back....when I was living in Daddy's house. Five years later, with a wife and a new baby? The challenges were significantly harder.

There's a huge difference. Looking fwd to your reply with your honest answer.
I'm an honest person in general so take it how you want it. I do see what you are saying with the above, but there are many variables that come into play here. I have lived with my parents, and still do in their one family house which in my opinion is rather big for multiple family members to live comfortably without stepping on each others toes. There is a garage, private driveway for multiple cars, backyard space, blah blah blah. So sure, I do live there, it's a lot more comfortable, and more beneficial than an apartment in this area would be, BUT that does NOT mean there is nothing coming out of my account towards it all, there is work/expense(s) involved, both of which could very well go into apt living.

Also, being young and living in NY also puts my car insurance payments high, that comes out of my pocket aswell, although I cheated and I'm under my brothers military policy plan as it was a lot more reasonable in terms of pricing which can hold me over until 25 or around there. If i have the opportunity to save, why wouldn't I? I dont have a gas card through them either.

In terms of the B7 S4, I won't be listing my entire car history here and details behind it, if you want to know, PM me and maybe i'll share, but let's say if I was to be in my own apartment before the purchase of the car, that very car would more than likely not be the one i would be looking at, if I would even be looking at a car at the time.

So now, does every younger person have the same possibilities and options?

My apologies if i came off as jumpy but what does get me rather upset is that some people are very very quick to assume that if they see a young person with a car, majority of the time, it's assumed that family purchased it for them fully and those people are usually looked down on. In the past I've had someone go up to me saying "Must be nice for parents to buy you a car". I'm rather fortunate to have a well paying job compared to what I'm able to get at the moment, as I'm still in school.

With that said, let's get back on topic. If you would like to take the discussion further, feel free to pm me. It's late/early so I hope my thoughts came out like i wanted them too, seems to make sense now ^_^

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Vw owners at least on here seem so jealous. I grew up borderline poor by most people's standards and do quite well now. I give no fux how some guy bought a cool car while living at home. Enjoy your life. Life is too short for jealousy and envy.

xcskier

So I've had the car less than a month. Yesterday while pumping gas, some 28-ish guy in a modded out Honday drives up and stops, rolls down his window to tell me, "Nice car, Dude!" I don't remember that ever happening in 10 years of 2002 WRX ownership (but I am an old geezer, so maybe I forgot). Anyway, I was kind of surprised at first, then quietly pleased. Even old guys like to have some fun now and then.

blueste

Ready to race!
So I've had the car less than a month. Yesterday while pumping gas, some 28-ish guy in a modded out Honday drives up and stops, rolls down his window to tell me, "Nice car, Dude!" I don't remember that ever happening in 10 years of 2002 WRX ownership (but I am an old geezer, so maybe I forgot). Anyway, I was kind of surprised at first, then quietly pleased. Even old guys like to have some fun now and then.

:thumbup:

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
My apologies if i came off as jumpy but what does get me rather upset is that some people are very very quick to assume that if they see a young person with a car, majority of the time, it's assumed that family purchased it for them fully and those people are usually looked down on. In the past I've had someone go up to me saying "Must be nice for parents to buy you a car".......If you would like to take the discussion further, feel free to pm me. It's late/early so I hope my thoughts came out like i wanted them too, seems to make sense now ^_^

No prob, coderedpl. I was WAYYYYY more independent than my siblings - and I respect that you seem to lean that way too. Just don't underestimate the huge advantage you have in being able to avoid the lion's share of paying for a homestead - nor underestimate how your comments may 'come off'. At 22 - I was married with a pregnant wife...with absolutely NO help from either set of parents. We ate a LOT of mac and cheese....and drove a frigging Chevy Celebrity when son #1 was a baby (at least it had the MPI engine and 'Eurosport' trim pkg - hahahhaha).

Believe me - I'm not belittling you for living at home with mom and dad. Quite the contrary - I respect that you take more 'ownership' of your toys than most kids your age. But.....I believe you will encounter challenges in your next ten years you never dreamed of and it will greatly shape your mentality and character going forward. It might be more of a struggle than you're anticipating currently. Don't let it get you down. Plod through it. If you're a hard worker, you can always afford things you really want that are important to you.

Best wishes to you. Both my sons are OLDER than you. They are both fiercely independent. I see that in your comments and attitude. That's a good thing. Actually? A GREAT thing.

Last edited:

Csg_r

Ready to race!
Just don't underestimate the huge advantage you have in being able to avoid the lion's share of paying for a homestead - nor underestimate how your comments may 'come off'.

Yeah definitely never underestimate of a financial advantage of not paying entire mortgage each month.

Even if I am only 25, I am also married with one kid. Bought my house in Cali three years ago now and y'all can imagine how expensive houses are here. If I don't pay mortgage, that's a lot more toys I can afford each month :)