GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why aren't hatchbacks more popular?

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
Given the huge popularity of SUVs in America, I am surprised that hatchbacks are not more popular. Where I live at least, hatchbacks are greatly outnumbered by sedans among small cars. I have owned several hatchbacks over the years (Honda Civics, VW Golf, Toyota Tercel) and always found them more useful than sedans. I also like their styling. The only downside, from my viewpoint, is they do tend to collect dirt and grime on the hatch, more so than a sedan.

I am also surprised that VW Golfs are not more popular among hatchback drivers. The most common hatchbacks around here are the Toyota Prius, Honda Fit and Mini Cooper followed by Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Nissan Versa. The new Ford Focus seems to selling well among new models. However, Golfs are few and far between. I do see more Golfs in downtown neighborhoods but seldom on interstates, which is sort of ironic because it is probably the best riding hatch on the highway.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
because small cars=cheap in customers views still.
And because fat american heffalump mom of 2 needs suburban to get more fat by going through drive through to feed the fat kids that just got picked up from fat camp.

TDI110

O_o
^ probably.

Europe is all up ons with it. I guess the term 'bigger is better' still has some meaning across the pond?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I guess the term 'bigger is better' still has some meaning across the pond?

Damn right.

Americans thrive on 'Bigger is Better.'

Cars, meal sizes, waistlines, egos, you name it. If it's not big, it's not American.

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
There are plenty of people driving small cars around here, so your point about SUVs doesn't really apply. My question is why are most small car drivers choosing sedans over hatchbacks? And why aren't more hatchback drivers choosing Golfs? When I test drove various hatchbacks, the Golf was a slam dunk compared to other brands from my viewpoint ... in every respect except for gas mileage.

TDI110

O_o
Damn right.

Americans thrive on 'Bigger is Better.'

Cars, meal sizes, waistlines, egos, you name it. If it's not big, it's not American.

*shivers**

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^^^should have used diet coke.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Just like Sportwagons. When I was in Denmark and Norway that's all I saw. Given Europe does get higher HP and Diesel options but still. I'll all for hatches and wagons. I did the SUV thing already. Getting 15 mpg and driving like a truck is not fun.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
no need, she's got Ranch salad dressing - maybe the 20% less fat kind. Baby steps right?

Pizza with ranch dressing only thing would be better if it was deep fried.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
#'MURICA

tzd

Ready to race!
I am also surprised that VW Golfs are not more popular among hatchback drivers. The most common hatchbacks around here are the Toyota Prius, Honda Fit and Mini Cooper followed by Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Nissan Versa. The new Ford Focus seems to selling well among new models. However, Golfs are few and far between. I do see more Golfs in downtown neighborhoods but seldom on interstates, which is sort of ironic because it is probably the best riding hatch on the highway.

You do see more Golfs along the East and West Coast. And most of them are GTIs. US is probably the only country where GTIs outnumber Golfs.