GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI guys I want your unbiased opinions please!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
unbiased, i think you should keep your current car based on your wage. it won't be fun working all those hours just to make car payments. do you really not like the golf? or just prefer something faster?

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
unbiased, i think you should keep your current car based on your wage. it won't be fun working all those hours just to make car payments. do you really not like the golf? or just prefer something faster?

Lol I'm gonna be working those hours either way and if I can't find the right one for the right price I won't be getting it until I do, but It has to be soon otherwise my car will be worth less. I do like the golf but I do want more. And right now I'm paying 366/month for this car, with the GTI I will not settle for a payment no more than 400. I can afford it easy on my full time job making the 13/hour at 40 a week. The second job is just there for buy the things that I want and I figured after the ideas I had for the Golf I may as well save up and get a GTI. It makes more sense that way, plus if I do decide to "make it faster" it won't cost 3k to do it.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Sit on it a month. Dont look at GTIs and try not to think about it. If you feel the same way April 1st as you do now, get it. Ive started doing this and Im amazed at the shit im obsessed with one day and then a month later, I could give a shit about.

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
We'll see what time brings! I'm certain its gonna happen but if it doesn't then I'll have a pretty penny saved in the bank haha its a win win situation :) and either way it was an experience

I appreciate the responses and keep posting! haha

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
I'd just keep the current car you have. Heck, I work 70 hours a week and make $42 an hour and I still hate having a car payment.

Just enjoy what you have and other things will come in time.

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
Tell us about your 2.5L and what you would get from the GTI that you don't currently have. You may be able to make a few simple changes that would make your current car ideal. However, be very cautious before you start making engine modifications, which could void your warranty, make your car less reliable and hurt resale value if you later decide to trade up.

I just bought a Golf 2.5L in December from Leith VW, my first new car in 15 years. I paid cash for my last car (actually a truck, Ford Ranger) and never had a car payment, so I was able to save an incredible amount of money as a result. I borrowed money for the new Golf, mainly because I was able to get a 0% loan.

I understand the urge to trade up, and believe me, I have already thought about it with my Golf. In my case, mainly because it is not as fuel-efficient as I expected and the 2-door is very limiting for storage and passengers. However, I will probably keep it because it meets my needs for 95% of my driving and I would probably take a bath trading it. Also, the cars I am thinking about trading for (TDI Golf 4-door or Jetta Sportwagen) are not as reliable as the 2.5L.

Anyway, drive your 2.5L a while and see if your feelings change. You would likely lose thousands of dollars on any trade unless the dealer wanted a car like yours for some reason and was having trouble moving GTIs.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
As said already, CPO is the way to go if you're not swimming in cash. The extended warranty helps make up for that lost initial thrill of having a brand new car.

You mentioned looking at a '10 for about $20k. Unless it's an autobahn with pretty low miles, you should be able to do better than that. Loaded '12s with low miles are going for $22-25k (just bought one a month ago so I know :D).

You are in a great position though since you have the 2.5. Be patient and take the time to find the EXACT GTI you want. Then when you go to make a deal you can feel secure that if the price isn't right you can walk away because you already have a great car.

As far as why to get a GTI? For me I was just really enamored with being part of the club that I've heard so much about for so long. A friend had a mk4 and I always thought it was the coolest thing. I never even test drove a Golf 2.5 because I knew I wouldn't be happy with a car that I wasn't excited to drive everyday. That's not to say the 2.5 isn't an exciting car at all, I guess I'm just a sucker for the GTI name. Being someone who subscribes to 4 car magazines, I feel like I would be unsatisfied, almost hypocritical, if I didn't have an enthusiast car. Having said all that, the GTI is a great DD too so it makes sense from a common sense standpoint as well.

The only thing I regret is buying the car in January and not being able to properly enjoy it for those exciting first 3+ months.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Well, if I were in your shoes willing to take a financial hit my reasons would be:
1. Suspension- I drive an R, but I recently drove my gf's gti with DG springs and absolutely love the handling. It's fun!
2. Brakes- the GTI brakes are much better than the 2.5 (although other cars in the class have better stock braking, they are still pretty sand good for DD, if you track you may want to upgrade).
3. Turbo engine- very tunable and, as you said, even stock it's a blast.
4. Transmission- DSG is loved by many and I respect it for what it is, and 6MT has a very easy clutch and shifting is prob more fun than 5speed golf.
5. Seats- i assume your seats are the same as the TDI seats which I test drove and, frankly, the GTI seats (cloth or leather) are a some of the best stock seats I've ever sat in. Worlds above the 2.5 golf.
6. Style- this is personal pref, but if you like the more aggressive look of the GTI then this is a good reason since body kits aren't cheap. Interior there is leather options and the plaid looks cool IMHO.
7. Steering wheel- the GTI has the best steering wheel I have ever laid hands on. Period. There is a top ten list that includes mostly cars that I'll never touch in my lifetime, but yeah, the GTI steering is up there with cars 4x it's price.
8. Made in Germany.

That said, I do not abide with trading in a relatively new golf because of the loss you'll take on it. This is a very hypocritical thing for me to say because I took a haircut trading in a 12 GTI for 12 R. However, in my case, I could comfortably do so without sacrificing anything or jeapordizing anything other than my 5 year plan to be a full time ski bum. Now it's a 6 year plan:D

Edit: btw- this whole thread is flawed... You'll never get an unbiased opinion here:laugh:

Last edited:

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
Tell us about your 2.5L and what you would get from the GTI that you don't currently have. You may be able to make a few simple changes that would make your current car ideal. However, be very cautious before you start making engine modifications, which could void your warranty, make your car less reliable and hurt resale value if you later decide to trade up.

I just bought a Golf 2.5L in December from Leith VW, my first new car in 15 years. I paid cash for my last car (actually a truck, Ford Ranger) and never had a car payment, so I was able to save an incredible amount of money as a result. I borrowed money for the new Golf, mainly because I was able to get a 0% loan.

I understand the urge to trade up, and believe me, I have already thought about it with my Golf. In my case, mainly because it is not as fuel-efficient as I expected and the 2-door is very limiting for storage and passengers. However, I will probably keep it because it meets my needs for 95% of my driving and I would probably take a bath trading it. Also, the cars I am thinking about trading for (TDI Golf 4-door or Jetta Sportwagen) are not as reliable as the 2.5L.

Anyway, drive your 2.5L a while and see if your feelings change. You would likely lose thousands of dollars on any trade unless the dealer wanted a car like yours for some reason and was having trouble moving GTIs.

I do like the 2.5 its a nice car and for being the base model has good power, but by the time I put suspension mods into it, engine mods(whatever route I would go there), exhaust, etc. I could just suffer the loss and get a car that's meant for "performance" I drove the GTI and I have never been more impressed lol. But like these guys are saying I'll just sit on it for a month and if I still want to do it then I'll start looking and I'll find my perfect CPO GTI haha. And the fact that I got a quote for my current insurance company and it would be cheaper than when I bought my Golf, so that's a plus :D I'm also in a position where I can suffer the loss but I'm not going to have that negative attached to the new loan b/c like the numbers I've already been through I don't see paying 32k for a used car IMO

Have good friends at the dealership I go to (used to work for them haha) but hopefully I'll still want it and find one soon. The value of my car is going down fast. Month 9 I believe and I'm already 20k miles into it.....

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
Lol I'm gonna be working those hours either way and if I can't find the right one for the right price I won't be getting it until I do, but It has to be soon otherwise my car will be worth less. I do like the golf but I do want more. And right now I'm paying 366/month for this car, with the GTI I will not settle for a payment no more than 400. I can afford it easy on my full time job making the 13/hour at 40 a week. The second job is just there for buy the things that I want and I figured after the ideas I had for the Golf I may as well save up and get a GTI. It makes more sense that way, plus if I do decide to "make it faster" it won't cost 3k to do it.

How in gods name can you afford even any car payment on $13/hr?? I work 3 jobs. My full time 4 days a week at $20/hr, another 10 hrs at $22/hr and another 6 hrs at $11/hr. I'm by no means strapped but my $395 car payment is a big dig on the wallet every month. You must live at home or something. If you do, stay until the ol 'rents kick you out lol.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
How in gods name can you afford even any car payment on $13/hr?? I work 3 jobs. My full time 4 days a week at $20/hr, another 10 hrs at $22/hr and another 6 hrs at $11/hr. I'm by no means strapped but my $395 car payment is a big dig on the wallet every month. You must live at home or something. If you do, stay until the ol 'rents kick you out lol.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I definitely stay at home, I'm turning 21 soon so I'm not too old. Parents letting me stay for free and when I'm ready to move out I will and this is why I also can afford the loss from trading this in especially with having a second job.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Where do you work 0.0 if i may ask

Wherever my Business Agent sends me. Right now I've been running a job along side Siemens at a power house. A major overhaul on a Gas Turbine.