GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI guys I want your unbiased opinions please!

Buc Wheat

Looked like crazy at golfs but couldn't stop drooling over the GTI's. Found certified pre owned with 13k on it for $5k less than new sticker and have never regretted it. GTI is awesome!!!!!

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
Where do you work 0.0 if i may ask

I work for the city government of Holly Springs, NC as my 40/hour/week job mon-thurs 7am-5pm and I work at Zaxby's during the week after main work and weekends anytime. Sacrificing gym time for more money so its not a big loss

EDIT: Well you know where I work now I didn't read the quoted text sorry XD

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
A lot of you are saying just keep what you have and I might just do that getting the car isn't a decision I would make over night obviously and I'm thinking that keeping the car might be a better idea not because of the loss, but the fact around here I see more GTI than Golf, especially modded ones. Also the thought of 2.5T is awesome.

Just having this car to make it Mike's Golf is a better idea than having something everyone else has, but then the thought of throwing that much money into this that could equal the money for the GTI.... it all depends... but I'm definitely going to wait and save and see what time brings, it might be better just to save up the money fix my golf to awesome and maybe find an older GTI that I can pay cash for to play with who knows.... I guess time will tell right?

Even still, comments on why you bought it and why its a great car are still appreciated as well as any comments you want to throw out! I will also answer any questions

EDIT: I probably wouldn't find an older GTI XD I don't care that much

Last edited:

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
Only you can choose! Its your money, your life, etc. I went from a Mk5 Rabbit to a Mk6 GTI. For me keeping the Rabbit would have been a smarter thing to do. Sure the GTI was fun, but in the grand scheme of things I shoulda kept the Rabbit and saved my money since Im saving for a garage (well, house). The choice is yours and yours alone, be smart about it.

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!
keep the golf.

Only you can choose! Its your money, your life, etc. I went from a Mk5 Rabbit to a Mk6 GTI. For me keeping the Rabbit would have been a smarter thing to do. Sure the GTI was fun, but in the grand scheme of things I shoulda kept the Rabbit and saved my money since Im saving for a garage (well, house). The choice is yours and yours alone, be smart about it.

You two and everyone else who said that are probably right, it would most likely be the better decision and like one of the other guys say if I still want it in April then go for it, if not, I lost nothing...right? :p

Either way its still a VW and I'm sexy for having it ;)

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Not worth the financial hit. Buy a CPO car instead.

knoxville1

Passed Driver's Ed
Sell Golf, buy beater so you have no payment and move out of your parents house. Establish yourself as an adult, bank a cushion of $15-20k then start buying nice things

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
You live at home at 21 years old working a job at $13/hour? Buying a GTI should be the lowest priority right now. Do your parents a favor and move out of their home.

Whats your college plans?

Last edited:

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
You live at home at 21 years old working a job at $13/hour? Buying a GTI should be the lowest priority right now. Do your parents a favor and move out of their home.

Whats wrong with being 21 and living at home in todays market? I'm 21 almost 1 year of out school with a good starting salary and I can't afford to move out. I most definitely will not rent and throw my money away so I am saving for a home but prices are so inflated it makes it nearly impossible to own a home on a single entry level salary. Thats even if you can manage an entry level salary, most people can't even a get job out of school because everyone wants min. 5 years experience. Sadly it's becoming the norm for students to not have jobs out of school and are stuck working basically minimum wage jobs right out of school. In my program only maybe the top 10 of us who graduated got jobs.

Of course this is all in Ontario, Canada but I hear most of the USA and Canada face this problem.

I agree do not buy the GTI with the situation you are in. I bought my GTI because I can afford the payments while putting a nice chunk of change away to savings for a downpayment on my first home. I would say keep saving and when you get to a point where you can budget a car payment, entertainment money, and on top of that a decent amount of money in savings then go ahead on buy the GTI.

Last edited:

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
There's a difference between living with parents to save for a home yourself and doing it just to live rent free and blow your money on luxuries.

And yep that first step into adulthood can be rough. Have to face the fact that you can't afford the same lifestyle as your parents and may not even be able to live in the same region due to costs.

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
You can built that engine... People don't because it's not bolt on... But it can be done. Get out in the scene, make connections, built the golf. I started my vw days with a 93 jetta 2.slow. Lowered compression, built engine, bolt ons... It was a blast. Then some one hit me and I got a passat, then a mkv rabbit, now a mk6 gti.... All bought and modded in my price range.
Be smart, debt sucks. It really sucks. It is not something you want hanging over your head because you spoiled yourself at 21

KittehKinsMK6

Ready to race!

As of right now, I have no college plans because Idk what I want to do with my life yet. But I work for the local government so I'm set for a while and I plan to move out when my car is paid off be it the GTI or the Golf. Which also is another reason I have a second job to afford "things I want" and double payments

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
I think you answered your own question.