Ready to race!
In4infor

DubbleThePleasure

Passed Driver's Ed

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
UPDATE: FULL WRITE-UP CLICK HERE

I made mine a 2.1 amp charger that always charges even when the car is off

To get it to be a regular charger, it was not quite plug and play. I had to tear apart a 2.1 amp car charger, solder on new connections, then added a fuse stack in the fuse box, then hack/buy a usb adapter to fit the strange cable that connects to new port.

Last edited:

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!

To get it to be a regular charger, it was not quite plug and play. I had to tear apart a 2.1 amp car charger, solder on new connections, then added a fuse stack in the fuse box, then hack/buy a usb adapter to fit the strange cable that connects to new port.
Looks clean, and damn that'd be a nice feature. Good job man

Ganiman

Ready to race!

Does it not charge already when the car is on? Or is it strictly data? Charging when the car is off isn't a big deal to me. I would love to dump the cigarette lighter 12v adapter I am using and be able to close the coin tray.

Clean install looks nice :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

EMSGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Why doesn't this come standard?

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Inoright? It comes standard on a KIA lol

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Anybody know if that would work with the RNS315?

Are these plug and play ?

I haven't pulled the RNS 315 out, but looking online I have to think this won't work from these images:

Random image from a tdi site:

From a RCD to RNS swap on Vortex:

The connections are all color coded and there is no USB connection on the back of the unit. Looks like to use USB with the radio you need to use the USB MDI cable.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Inoright? It comes standard on a KIA lol

Remember, this system is not new, it's been around awhile. The manufacturers usually only update the infotainment systems when model refreshes happen. I expect this in the MK7.

If it makes you feel any better, the stock headunit on my Corvette had crappy navigation which was almost impossible to enter addresses into, and had NO bluetooth audio support, only telephone.. and it's a 2011 (even the 2013's have this limitation).