GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Stage 2 GTIs in MA?

fender177

Ready to race!
Sup guys? I'm most likely moving back to MA shortly after an extended stay in Ohio. How is mass on the exhaust requirements? I have the APR stage 2 tune that disables the O2 sensor to avoid the CEL. I'm not sure if that flies in MA or not? If not, what kind of spacers are you guys using?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I am, and also had my MKV at stage II with no emission issues. Only one readiness fault allowed but that should be fine if you have the right tune.

fender177

Ready to race!
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll have to double check, but I think I have 2 readiness faults. I'll plug my vcds cable in when I have a chance. If that's the case, I'll see if I can get my tuner to put the other APR tune on there. I think that'll mean that I'll have to get a spacer for my exhaust though?

Thanks man!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Catless or catted downpipe? I've had a few places do a visual check so you'll want a cat on there. I'm fairly certain with the APR software with stage II test pipe file you should only get one readiness fault even without a spacer. I'll have to check mine as well.

fender177

Ready to race!
Yeah, it's catted. You might be right - it might just be one. I thought I saw two on there, but who knows. I'll double check when I get a chance.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll have to double check, but I think I have 2 readiness faults. I'll plug my vcds cable in when I have a chance. If that's the case, I'll see if I can get my tuner to put the other APR tune on there. I think that'll mean that I'll have to get a spacer for my exhaust though?

Thanks man!

Yeah, you'll need to reflash to a non-test pipe file. You will NEVER pass in MA with your current file. I had my shop copy the spacer configuration that the AWE downpipe uses for my catted 42dd pipe. No issues with APR K04 non-test pipe when I was last inspected. I'm running Unitronic Stage 2+ without their cat patch, at the moment. I do have an O2 sensor not ready when I run a vcds scan. I need to speak to Uni about this, but I'm pretty sure I should be fine as it's only one test that reports not ready, unlike the 2 not ready/fail the APR test pipe file will cause.

Good luck!

fender177

Ready to race!
Yeah, so looks like the catalyst monitoring and oxygen sensor are showing up as failed or incomplete. Boooo.

So, looks like I'll have to get a spacer and the non-test pipe APR file. Haven't moved to MA yet, so I still have some time to get this figured out.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
^^ interesting. Keep me posted as I'm due for inspection in September.. so I have some time. I wasn't worried since my MKV was fine, but now I am skeptical. Last year I was only stage I when I had to go.

fender177

Ready to race!

Spaztix1

Can I has GTI?
Im also stage 2. I also just moved here to Boston from North Carolina, so Im yet to be inspected. I ran a spacer set up, along with a high flow cat in NC and had no issues passing inspection. Hope its the same here..

fender177

Ready to race!
Sup guys - so I made the move to MA back in August! Pretty sick being back in MA.

I was wondering - where do you guys take your cars for tuning needs? I'm up near Methuen, but I don't mind travelling a little ways to get to a good shop. I looked on APR's site, and found the ones in this area, but who knows if they are any good. With some of the horror stories that go on about tuners not sealing the ECU back together properly, etc - I'm looking for suggestions ;)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Marc's Foreign Car in Wakefield, MA. Good guy, small shop, good service, dunks across the street, APR certified. Done all my tunes and some suspension back with my last vdub.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Yep, you need a tune that will actually check the post cat O2. Using a good cat and an O2 sensor all systems should be go and you'll pass legitimately.

I have the UR ceramic cat, no res, with a 42DD spacer and I pass.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Need more info!

What are you having issues with? Passing the emissions test in MA with a Stage 2 tune? Did you already fail? What tune are you running? Do you have the spacer installed? Etc, etc.