GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone go from 6 speed Manual to DSG

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Yea I'm in the 1,000th manual to DSG convert here.

I was the loudest "autos are for girls" screamer before I was put in the situation where I'd have to be sharing a car with my wife. She got to pick the transmission, I got to pick the car. Enter: DSG GTI

Reluctant at first but in love with it now.

XZT123

Ready to race!
Simple answer:

DSG is fun with paddle shifters, fast shifts, launch control etc.

DSG annoys the hell out of me when you do a rolling stop and go and wait for it to get its ass in gear. It's delayed and annoys the hell out of you.

Sometimes I miss a manual, but the DSG is also fun in its own way.

2.06thgen

Ready to race!
I live in the DC area and I deal with morning and afternoon traffic and while in traffic I always say man I sure have got the DSG but when I get a break traffic well I kept the six speed

65Strad

Ready to race!
My leg is fine and I've driven manuals for years and enjoy the involvement. That being said, when my Jetta was totaled, I test drove the manual and DSG.

For me, the DSG is in another class. I'm very familiar with it now, and knowing it's capabilities, nuances, benefits make it a slam dunk thumbs up for me vs. the manual.

I got mine for barely 24K. Technology that is found on cars more than twice the price developed by VW itself that is also a Formula 1 feature makes my daily driver a blast every time I drive it.

No apology here for owning this way cool, fun and value packed quality version of German built machinery. I'm surprised that this sentiment isn't more universally expressed here.

Manual or DSG, what other car comes close to the build quality and materials used for these gems? I think we all made (DSG or manual) a pretty good puchase decision.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Have driven manuals my entire life, wen't DSG because it's faster and can take more power and abuse with no issues or upgrades.

Was getting bored with it, got bigger flappy paddles and it's fun again. On the track I feel like Schumacher :) and focus more on my line and braking points. Don't think I could ever go back, just wish paddles were on the steering column.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This is a toughy. I see the OP points and understand. My DSG GTI is the 1st auto I have had in a long time. I have been driving Evo's since 2003 and all were manuals. In the Evo though, the shifter, the pedals everything were just spot on. The Evo though had a cheap interior,but had the main stuff spot on. Shift linkage and pedal placement being 2 of the things the Evo just did perfectly.

In the GTI I didnt consider the manual. I wanted the DSG. Why? for a couple of reasons. One, coming from a Evo with a fairly heavy clutch and all, city driving would literally give my left leg a work out. Not a big deal, but I figured on this car since the DSG was available, why not try it? I would of bought a Evo X MR with the dual clutch but just costs too much and not as practical as the GTI.

Then the other flip. I am a performance guy. No one here can deny this one fact. if you look at the numbers the DSG is the "faster" car. 0-30, 0-60 and 1/4 mile. NO ONE can shift as fast or precisely as the DSG. So right there I thought hey VW is onto something. PLUS better MPG's, a full manual mode, and when I test drove the car I was sold.

Only draw back with the DSG in my experience thus far? It can be clunky at times, especially going from R to D, but keep in mind this is not a "automatic" its a "automated manual" there is a difference so take that into consideration. I have also found while in D coming up to a corner kinda quick the car to me is in the wrong gear coming out of the turn. Feels like its still in 4th coming out and you hit the gas and it drops 2 gears and just takes off. I dont like that. Fix for that? S mode will hold a lower gear for a better exit speed in corners, but I hardly am in S since I am just putting around town and saving a little on gas. Hey every little bit helps right? What I have been doing is just dropping a gear before the turn with the paddle shifters and I am good.

The DSG is awesome and this whole manual vs DSG thing yeah can be tiresome and both have their pros and cons. If you look at it from a confort prospective the DSG shines, look at it from a performance perspective the DSG shines, look at it from an MPG perspective the DSG shines. So you cant go wrong honestly.

If I was in an Evo, or STI I would want a manual, because I would be running the boost up and building the car and the manual is cheaper to fix than an automated manual. Ironically in this case, the GTI is the opposite. The DSG is the stronger Tranny. Go figure I learn something new everyday. haha.

Jeff

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I've been long debating which to buy but after being stuck in an auto for 2 years, I'm willing to lose the few extra milliseconds of speed in favor of fun. I seriously need something to deal with my ADD on the road. Press 1 foot on the gas and 2 hands on the steering wheel has me falling asleep quick.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Took me a year to appreciate the DSG coming from a 6-MT MKV prior. I must admit the no lift shifts at WOT in DSG make it all worth it. Not to mention the epic DSG fart with stage II, lol. I miss manual.... But the DSG wins for me in my current area dealing with traffic and retarded drivers daily.

Boomers

Ready to race!
I test drove a jetta tdi with dsg, it was different but not my cup of tea so I went with the 6 speed, when I traded the jetta in this year for the gti it was a no brainer...6 speed again and no regrets. It's not about speed or fuel consumption, it's really like others have said, the felling of being connected to the car.
One thing I loved about earlier gti's were that they always came 2 door and mt, really designed for enthusiasts. I think vw got soft over the years and started catering to the masses (i say this with a grain of salt because i do have a 4 door).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
As others have said, at times I miss MT for sure. And I do enjoy MT a lot. DSG is also fun, and def fun on track.

Today however, while sitting in traffic on the way home from work for 1hr 10mins, I remembered why the DSG can be really good 5 out of 7 days a week.

DSG trannied cars are sprung 24mm taller than a manual-equipped car (this is true btw): manuals have a better stock stance.

I couldn't resist. :)

but ya... next car = Twin clutch auto for me. My left knee begs it.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Would think definitely the highest proportion of automatic drivers here who are able to and enjoy driving manual than any other car. Which says a lot for this "auto".

RGGTI41510

Ready to race!
I went from 06 civic si to 6 brief months in a 12 charger r/t (hated it, traded in 6 months later) to my 13 gti w DSG.

I like the DSG but I really miss driving a manual. I'm only getting about 22 mpg on it, though I drive about 70% city. But I really believe I would be getting better mileage with a manual, not to mention its more fun and engaging. Too bad I'm dealing with an injury that would make driving a manual really painful at times. If not, I would've definitely gotten the Manuél..

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
went from a MKV 6sp to a MKVI DSG due to back issues.
I miss the hell out of rowing gears, but my back thanks me for the change. For a daily, DSG is the best compromise. If I ever get a project car, it will definitely be manual.
I will say my car is stage 1 GIAC and though the DSG is supposedly more fuel efficient, I was getting better mileage out of my stage 1 APR 6sp MKV. I find it rather strange.