GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Depo LED Projector Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmc333

Ready to race!
Got a chance to unbox the lights tonight and I'm very happy with the quality. Love all the room inside for the ballasts and will be installing on Saturday and posting pics along with comparison to Ed's version.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Have you guys been in touch with Dose? I've been sending emails but without any replies. Hope he's OK. I know that he has a personal arrangement lately but I have not received any word.

bmc333

Ready to race!
Did some prep work on the lights tonight by putting silicone sealant across both the top and bottom of the lenses. As I was doing it I could see it was needed and there were gaps that were missed during their initial assembly.

Last edited:

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Did some prep work on the lights tonight by putting silicone sealant across both the top and bottom of the lenses. As I was doing it I could see it was needed and there were gaps that were missed during their initial assembly.

Can you please post pictures of the exact spot?

bmc333

Ready to race!
I'll try and take some tomorrow before I install. Where the lense meets the housing is the area I'm referring to- you'll see black sealant in that area from the factory and small gaps where extra sealant should be applied.

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!

BMC,

Remember that in the factory the sealant is inside the groove so when the lens is set the sealant will flow different directions. So what may look like gaps most likely is where the sealant flowed inward instead of pushing outward. You will notice some pushed out but look inside and you will see the sealant on the inner portion as well.

Then again, additional won't harm anything.

-Dose

ducatiti

Ready to race!
BMC,

Remember that in the factory the sealant is inside the groove so when the lens is set the sealant will flow different directions. So what may look like gaps most likely is where the sealant flowed inward instead of pushing outward. You will notice some pushed out but look inside and you will see the sealant on the inner portion as well.

Then again, additional won't harm anything.

-Dose

Dose. Sent you four emails in three weeks but no replies or even a confirmation. I have not said anything but positive comments about you here but you leave me no choice to contact you via a public forum. Installation charges have been paid for your products and services but I am encountering problems after two weeks of installation. Just trying to obtain post purchase/install service. I will not say anything further hoping I can get a reply from you.

Thank you for taking care of the initial problem but I have heard from you since.

You may have personal arrangements but you are clearly communicating with your prospective buyers.

(Will edit/delete this post once communication has been established)

bmc333

Ready to race!

As you can see, the clear silicone I applied - the extra measure of doing this should insure no moisture build up. You can see where the clear silicone made its way between the lense and housing - those were the gaps I mentioned earlier. No possible way for moisture to get in that way now - even if there was some on the inside, I feel better actually seeing the seal.
Here are some more pics I took after washing it- no condensation whatsoever:

And a side shot of the new stance after VWR spring install yesterday:

I'm very happy with how easy this install was - having room in the housings to put everything is awesome.
P.S. - Thanks a ton Dose for another AWESOME product and for having amazing customer service [emoji2]

Last edited:

ducatiti

Ready to race!
That's cool that you don't need to modify the bulb. Please post a link to the bulbs.

Did you use a pressurized washer when you washed your car? I also had silicone added prior to installation but had a bit of condensation still. I stuck silica gel packs on each cover to help a bit but I haven't washed my car since then.

Been using Meguiar's Quick Detailer for the last two months to clean my three month old car:)

Last edited:

bmc333

Ready to race!
Scroll up (post 287) for a link to the kit I got from TRS and I just took the car through a car wash - some of that was high pressure. I added 2 silica packets in each fixture and made sure the 2 caps on each fixture were tightly closed. I also verified that all the drain plugs were on after I used the extra silicone sealant.

Last edited:

bmc333

Ready to race!
As far as the comparison to Ed's LED lights: the LEDs on these Depo are way brighter and do in fact match the 5k bulbs, as others have already noted. I love the fact the LEDS work as DRLs also - no funky wiring needed as it is with Eds.
The adjusting screws also work way better than Ed's for leveling/aiming purposes - more movement per turn and they have a great amount of down AND up play.
Also of note is that the Depo lights use the same size turn signal bulbs (PSY24?) as the stock halogens so the LED signals I had bought from Bold Sport finally saw some use in the Depo housings. Ed's lights use stupid wedge type bulbs for the signals...
Overall I'm very happy with a set up that's $100 less than ED'S and has a number of advantages in design and quality and so far, are moisture proof.

Last edited:

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Scroll up (post 287) for a link to the kit I got from TRS and I just took the car through a car wash - some of that was high pressure. I added 2 silica packets in each fixture and made sure the 2 caps on each fixture were tightly closed. I also verified that all the drain plus were on after I used the extra silicone sealant.

So you just stuck the silica packets in the assembly? I placed them on the cap via double sided tape? Hopefully, my initial condensation was just a freak occurrence considering that this is not a warranty issue.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
As far as the comparison to Ed's LED lights: the LEDs on these Depo are way brighter and do in fact match the 5k bulbs, as others have already noted. I love the fact the LEDS work as DRLs also - no funky wiring needed as it is with Eds.
The adjusting screws also work way better than Ed's for leveling/aiming purposes - more movement per turn and they have a great amount of down AND up play.
Also of note is that the Depo lights use the same size turn signal bulbs (PSY24?) as the stock halogens so the LED signals I had bought from Bold Sport finally saw some use in the Depo housings. Ed's lights use stupid wedge type bulbs for the signals...
Overall I'm very happy with a set up that's $100 less than ED'S and has a number of advantages in design and quality and so far, are moisture proof.

I'm glad that these are working out for you. You just gave me idea for the LED blinkers...damn you :) j/k Link please hehe.

You are right about the adjustment, noticeable movement even on a fraction of a turn. Also, 5K is the way to go with the HID bulbs as 6k will look bluish/greenish next to the LED's since they are bright white.

I plan to turn off my DRL's once and while after a year considering the warranty will be over though.

Status
Not open for further replies.