GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP: How do I remove stubborn plastidip??

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!
I plastidipped my mirror caps and then sprayed a few coats of gloss black rustoeleam spray paint on them. No I'm trying to take it off and IT WILL NOT COME OFF.
Things I've tried:
Peeling
WD-40
Goo-Gone
Is there a product I can get from Home Depot or Lowes that will dissolve it so It will come off?
Thank you.

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Plasti-dip sells a product called dip dissolver or something. You spray it on and wait a few minutes for it to soak if then you can hose it off easily.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Good gone works to best imo.
Spray it on and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Get a towel and wipe it off.
Is there anything over the plastidip like a clear coat?

Sent via a microwave.

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!
There's coats of black spray paint OVER the plasti dip

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Well that is your problem. Why on earth did you paint over plastidip?? Plastidip peels off because it's rubber. But coated with paint and it's paint on the outside. Buy new mirror caps.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
You have one of two options
Sand off the paint until the dip layer and peel off the dip

Or

Very carefully. Use weak paint stripped to remove the paint and dip... This very risky, cause if the paint stripper touches the clear coat, it will most likely eat it

Why would you paint black dip with black paint over it? A glossy clear coat would have done the same thing.. Better yet, plastidip makes a glossifier which will make the dip more and more glossy as you stack layers.

Next time, spray the dip with a clear coat of your choice. You can peel it off with a clear coat, because clear coats have more flexing agents built into them.

That or use polycarbonate paint. It's a very flexible paint that will stick to dip, but peel off with it easily

Sent via a microwave.

dceptn

Passed Driver's Ed
Acetone or some wax and grease remover.

FoxhoundGTI

Ready to race!

finallyamused

Ready to race!
FAIL

the purpose of plastidip is to be removable paint. If you spray anything else on it you defeat this purpose. do your research on a product before you spray anything on your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY&list=TLPimS7Y58iJxPQHxYl7Ce-aVEktABFRNL

It really isn't a fail, you've never done it.

I've plastidipped then painted over, on my rims 3 times now. Would do about 5 coats of dip, then 3 coats of color, and 2 coats of clear. Did them white, took it off. Did them teal, took it off. Did them pink, and I'll be taking that off in a couple weeks to go back to white (permanently this time, no dip, just paint). Granted it is a bit tougher to get it off, but it still came off.

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!
Anyone wanna actually help me? :/

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
Wd40

Edit

Nevermind. Sparing paint on plastidip will melt the plastidip and cause the paint to fuse with whatever you were painting.

Sand and repaint or try aircraft paint remover and repaint either way you are probably going to ruin the clear get new caps online already painted

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
There's a video of dip your car. Com testing this and they basically had to chip it off one little piece at a time. I would try some paint stripper but it's probably going to be easier in the long run to replace them. Lesson learned.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II