GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion

Going to give this a try this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared32

Ready to race!
Working on doing it myself now and a quick question. Is it possible for more than 2 valves to be closed at once? Because it look like I have 3 that at closed..

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

mlody91

Ready to race!
Working on doing it myself now and a quick question. Is it possible for more than 2 valves to be closed at once? Because it look like I have 3 that at closed..

It is possible. If I remember correctly at one point I had valves in cylinder 2,3, & 4 closed while those in cylinder 1 were open. Ended up soaking those cylinders with Chemtool B12 overnight. To be honest, 8 hours versus 30 minutes of B12 soaking did not show much of a difference in carbon removal.

Jared32

Ready to race!
It is possible. If I remember correctly at one point I had valves in cylinder 2,3, & 4 closed while those in cylinder 1 were open. Ended up soaking those cylinders with Chemtool B12 overnight. To be honest, 8 hours versus 30 minutes of B12 soaking did not show much of a difference in carbon removal.

Thanks for that info! I think mine is cylinder 1-3-4 that are closed. And yea I'm planning on using b12 too! I don't think I'm gonna risk over night tho lol

JS12

Ready to race!
Shit, I thought it was liquid gold! Lol yeah I'm not expecting much, just preventative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a can of the CRC through the intake behind the MAF sensor and followed the overly-complicated instructions exactly. My 2012 only has 49k miles and I haven't yet experienced any symptoms so it may be placebo but I believe my car idles just a bit smoother afterwards.

I did throw a turbo underboost code (can't remember but I think it was P032) but I cleared it and everything seems fine. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely spray closer to the throttle body. Good luck!

Jared32

Ready to race!
Well I just finished doing the carbon clean myself... I don't think it's a job I want to ever do again lol..

Before pics

After pics

I know it isn't perfect but it's better than it was. It was my first job of this size and depth.

Jared32

Ready to race!
Idk haven't driven much yet lol

riceburner

Autocross Champion
How many miles was that? ^