GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Proper Dyno Testing

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I've edited my previous post in the last 15 mins - so just check that in case there is something else that might be handy to know.

Thank god you have the manual gearbox - it's the only gearbox they should allow you to buy. DSG is so boring.

The dyno operator will generally run the car until redline/cut out, but the k04 is over and done with by about 6,200rpm anyway......although you have ported/hi flowed yours havent you....you might have some more RPM to play with.

Also, regarding correction factors, you can see from the links i provided what they use in Australia (SAE J607), not sure if this same factor applies in the US (and depends on location in regards to sea level etc) though. I live on the coast (at sea level or with a few metres of it).

Yea, manual is the only way for me and I have an uprated clutch.
My K04 is ported and polished so we'll see, I wouldn't want to go above 6,500 to be safe, already had one engine blow up. I'll ask them about correction factors.

-set to derived torque
-set ramp rate (6mph per second)
-check for correction factors (SAE J607)

Oh - if you have a valved exhaust (i don't think the GTI's do from memory - but can be an issue on the Golf R's) make sure they put the a/f ratio probe up the left hand side (your drivers side) pipe which is always open for a more realistic reading.

Not sure if the valved exhaust applies to the GTI's, so apologies if im talking jibberish.

GTI's don't have valved exhausts like the Golf R's. My EuroJet TBE is straight 3". There are some companies like BCS Tuning which are offering valved exhausts for the GTI market now.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
With that said I am not familiar with that Mainline brand dyno. My concern would be that it looks like there is no physical link between the front and rear. That can be an issue on the Golf R as it is not a full mechanical link in the awd system. Due to this they need to be run at the same speeds or the haldex can be damaged. I would check into that before running on that dyno.

Neither am I but it appears to be very similar to a dyno dynamics.. funny since they are both from the same place. Its been a very long time since I used a dyno dynamics but they had no issues with AWD cars even though the rollers were not linked.

With the power consumption units/ retarders on both axles the unit can control wheel speed to make sure both are spinning a the same rate (assuming the vehicle is powering those wheels). I'm blanking but I think the maha was the same way, been a few years since I used one of those too.

We have both a mustang and a dynapack. We shipped the dynapack over to our UK facility and our in ground mustang install should be done in the next few weeks. I wanted to repaint it so I'm holding things up :)

As others have said what matters is using the same dyno and comparing that, try and setup the dyno as close as you can each time. For example on a DD and possibly this mainline if you loosen the straps and let the car inch up on the front of the roller pairs they'll show more power because the rear roller isn't feeding the power unit and you now aren't pushing that weight. So if you strap them down different each time you can get wild variations. That is one advantage to the dynapack, but there are disadvantages as well.

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Neither am I but it appears to be very similar to a dyno dynamics.. funny since they are both from the same place. Its been a very long time since I used a dyno dynamics but they had no issues with AWD cars even though the rollers were not linked.

With the power consumption units/ retarders on both axles the unit can control wheel speed to make sure both are spinning a the same rate (assuming the vehicle is powering those wheels). I'm blanking but I think the maha was the same way, been a few years since I used one of those too.

The Mainline and Dyno Dynamics are used widely here in Australia, and ive run my car on a Mainline three times and a Dyno Dymanics once (each time the car was run in AWD mode - Golf R) and no problems what so ever. Plenty of other AWD cars (other Golf R's, Audi S3's, Audi RS4's etc) have run on these machines during dyno day's and no issues either.

I think the Mainline and Dyno Dynamics operate in a similar fashion, but the data that the Mainline produces for the owner is far superior than the Dyno Dynamics. Not only much easier to read, but it can show up to 4 scales on the printout (for example: power, torque, boost pressure and a/f ratio/s). This gives the owner a much better/clearer idea of how the car is performing overall.

I much prefer the Mainline machines.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I've been told by several companies/shops to expect an overall loss at mid-range. HPA believes there will be an increase (without software). I'm hoping for an increase, will love no change and am ok with a small loss in exchange for the following benefits:

-looks way nicer (finish is gorgeous, fuel lines tucked underneath)
-won't have to replace another broken plastic OEM manifold again
-stronger for drilling/tapping possible direct port water meth bungs
-hopefully a nasty (doog) induction sound like the 2.5L Golfs with IE intake manifolds

Davespence20

Ready to race!
I've been told by several companies/shops to expect an overall loss at mid-range. HPA believes there will be an increase (without software). I'm hoping for an increase, will love no change and am ok with a small loss in exchange for the following benefits:

-looks way nicer (finish is gorgeous, fuel lines tucked underneath)

-won't have to replace another broken plastic OEM manifold again

-stronger for drilling/tapping possible direct port water meth bungs

-hopefully a nasty (doog) induction sound like the 2.5L Golfs with IE intake manifolds

Just hurry up and get on with it already :D I'm tired of waiting! Hahah

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Sweeet. Are you doing the w/m kit separately from all this so we can compare the increases? You should dyno before and after w/m too. I'm curious to see what benefits it would have w/ direct port injection when IAT's are not an issue (winter).