GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch strange noise/feel

mateid

Hi guys,

New member here! I searched the forum and couldn't find anything similar.

I have a 2013 GTI MT6 with a bit over 8000Kms on the clock and the clutch has this strange noise/feedback when I depress the pedal. It's not really happening at low revs, only noticeable above 3500 really. It feels like I'm stepping on a wet rubber hose, it's squeaky weird. I can kinda hear it too, sounds like a plunger or something. It's really annoying and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm bringing it in to the dealer this week. Does this sound normal to you?

Thanks!

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
inside the cab or outside?

get under your pedal and press it seeing/hearing for anything...may just need a quick lube spray?

mateid

Inside, although the noise might be more in my head than anything else.

It's more pedal feedback than anything really, it feels like the clutch is not disengaging fast enough when I depress the pedal or something. I'll check it for noise when I get to the car and I'm bringing it in for an oil change Friday so I'll have them test drive it and see if they can tell what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
may need to bleed the clutch some / add some fluid

mateid

Yes, could be low fluid I checked for leaks under the car but nothing. I'll check the level tonight and see with the service rep what else we can do. I'll see if they let me test drive another GTI to get a feel for another clutch.

Thanks!

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
if you bleed the clutch line, remember that the pickup tube for the clutch system is right up at the top of the reservoir, not the bottom

mateid

OMG just got word from the dealer that they need to tear down the clutch and look at it, looks like it almost failed. They're lining it up to be a non-warranty repair because chances are I abused the clutch. At 8000 Kms and the car is stock, pretty disappointing. Should have gotten the DSG lol.

mateid

UPDATE: So the clutch failed completely when the tech took it for a test drive. Wouldn't even engage at all.

I'm getting a brand new clutch assembly this week, all warranty covered. The pressure plate retainer spring clip failed and that took out the throw out bearing and slave cylinder. I'm not sure of the order things failed in. Maybe it was the other way around. Mine was the second one with this issues the dealer had seen this week. Possibly caused by the cold weather we've been having, and me parking in a heated garage.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I don't know about that, but I get my own weird clutch noise. I've experienced this since I bought the car new and I'm nearly 3000 miles and still hear it. Basically sounds like a helicopter blade is under my hood whenever I'm idle. People mentioned it's clutch chatter. Never heard that before in any other manual cars or my previous ones... As soon as I press in the clutch it goes away. I release and it comes back...

mateid

I would have that checked with the dealer. I never really noticed too much rattling, mine was predominantly feedback in the pedal. I think it was my subconscious adding the sounds. I thought mine wasn't a big deal but it turns out it was.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I don't know about that, but I get my own weird clutch noise. I've experienced this since I bought the car new and I'm nearly 3000 miles and still hear it. Basically sounds like a helicopter blade is under my hood whenever I'm idle. People mentioned it's clutch chatter. Never heard that before in any other manual cars or my previous ones... As soon as I press in the clutch it goes away. I release and it comes back...

That sounds like clutch chatter, watch this video below and skip to 0:32 (he gets really close to the engine early in the video and with earbuds my ears nearly shattered) and then turn it up and if that's what you hear, I'm assuming that's what it is. The problem though is that the stock clutch shouldn't do that, as far as I know. Mine didn't do it stock, but mines a 13 and not a 14, they may have changed out the clutch in the 14's due to weakness?

UPDATE: So the clutch failed completely when the tech took it for a test drive. Wouldn't even engage at all.

I'm getting a brand new clutch assembly this week, all warranty covered. The pressure plate retainer spring clip failed and that took out the throw out bearing and slave cylinder. I'm not sure of the order things failed in. Maybe it was the other way around. Mine was the second one with this issues the dealer had seen this week. Possibly caused by the cold weather we've been having, and me parking in a heated garage.

I was going to say, if you're under 12k miles, you should get it replaced under warranty no problem. Glad to see you got it resolved. Hopefully you have better luck with this one :D
Oh and you may want to look up how to break in a new clutch. I would at least...I know aftermarket ones you want to do a break in of sorts in order to make sure you don't have issues later. I don't know if the same holds true for replacement OEM clutches, but better safe than sorry IMHO.

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
That sounds like clutch chatter, watch this video below and skip to 0:32 (he gets really close to the engine early in the video and with earbuds my ears nearly shattered) and then turn it up and if that's what you hear, I'm assuming that's what it is. The problem though is that the stock clutch shouldn't do that, as far as I know. Mine didn't do it stock, but mines a 13 and not a 14, they may have changed out the clutch in the 14's due to weakness?

I was going to say, if you're under 12k miles, you should get it replaced under warranty no problem. Glad to see you got it resolved. Hopefully you have better luck with this one :D
Oh and you may want to look up how to break in a new clutch. I would at least...I know aftermarket ones you want to do a break in of sorts in order to make sure you don't have issues later. I don't know if the same holds true for replacement OEM clutches, but better safe than sorry IMHO.

Just an FYI. True clutch chatter is not heard at idle or when the car in in motion with the clutch fully engaged. Clutch chatter only happens during the moment you start slipping the disk, and ends when the pressure plate is fully engaging the disk. Between these two moments, there is a series of really fast alternations of the disk gripping and slipping. These alternations between grip and slip cause a "chattering" noise. This is most common in puck style disks.

The noise you hear at idle is gear rattle. Gear rattle is the engines torsional vibrations going through the gear train. There is a momentary separation between the meshing gear teeth, and which then results in an impact between the meshing gear teeth.

OP, it sounds to me like you had a defective clutch. I doubt it has anything to do with the weather.

mateid

Thanks all for the feedback. I picked up the car last night and it's night and day.

The slight feedback I was complaining is still there so I guess maybe this is to be expected but the clutch is stiffer and the engagement point is clear and consistent with no vagueness whatsoever. It was very light and vague before I brought it in. I wonder if I got a different clutch kit than the one that was in there from the factory (Luk vs Sachs).

Cheers!

mateid

Additional question: does removing the tranny/clutch assembly require new engine oil after the job is completed? I only ask because the shop charged me for oil/filter but I think it should have been included with the clutch job.