GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Electric cars are more about making a statement or having the newest tech thing than getting a good car at a good price though. It's like the people who buy new iPhones every generation.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The price drop will be 1-2 years max. Anyone thinking its long-term is retarded.

Given the volume of oil in the market and OPEC + Russia resisting lower production quota's, I think it will be longer than 2 years. There is no shortage of oil and the Chinese are slowing growth as well.

OPEC has to keep pumping to keep what market share they have. Sure prices could rise but 100+$ oil is not quite looking like the norm.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I just can't get over how hideous the i3 is, I mean come on, BMW makes other cars that look good, just because it's electric doesn't mean they had to make it look like a disabled, premature baby.

I sat in one at the Charlotte Auto Show and the interior was nice though, I agree there. I think aggressive regenerative braking would be neat too, I don't really like how much cars coast, especially automatics. Having it be adjustable would be nice too.

that's a great way to have a tailgater rear end you in traffic :laugh:

:word:

i8 looks cool, i3 looks retarded.

This, why not bring a 1 series hatch and shed weight into electric car, like the a3 hatch or mercedes b class as an ev car.

Also, it costs $45k? That's a lot of money for an ugly duckling you couldn't even take on a trip.

this is true, but you get paid by government yearly, my dad's good friend is a general manager of a local BMW dealer, and he told me to search the i3's monthly payment and found these. :eek:

http://www.bmwofalexandria.com/deta...e=7&showAll=0&sortOrderBy=5,0&sortOrderBy=5,0

and this

http://www.bmwofalexandria.com/deta...e=7&showAll=0&sortOrderBy=5,0&sortOrderBy=5,0

never the less i would never buy those cars when i can buy an m235i manual with their msrp.

I'll take a GTI and $20k :laugh:

This

Electric cars are more about making a statement or having the newest tech thing than getting a good car at a good price though. It's like the people who buy new iPhones every generation.

this, tesla seems to be the new prius douche baggery cars, remember the cts electric coupe commercial where a rich man was driving and leaving the mansion? I saw some couple tesla's that have been keyed. Theres one that has a vanity plate that says "bye oil"

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Teslas are pretty awesome, but the price tag is up there and it still gets me that you'd have this sweet ass sedan and the minute you want to travel somewhere, you have to go buy a Honda Civic to do it or rent a shit box.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Teslas are pretty awesome, but the price tag is up there and it still gets me that you'd have this sweet ass sedan and the minute you want to travel somewhere, you have to go buy a Honda Civic to do it or rent a shit box.

Im not a hater on tesla by any means, plus you can seat 7 people in a sedan/wagon mix kinda car. Now tesla made many electric quick charging stops all over the country. Switching to electric bandwagon is gonna be a difficult move for me, id rather have a v8 and rwd, of course thats just me.

xtremequicksand9

Ready to race!
Tesla is a house of cards about to fall down. They have made no impact what so ever in Europe, with the exception of Norway. China, who they were betting would pick their up cars up in droves as a status symbol, haven't touched them despite heavy govn't subsidies and other measures. Major automakers are finally starting to invest in the R & D and infrastructure necessary to make hydrogen cars happen. They share price, while still incredibly high, has fallen something like 30% this past quarter. They recently slashed their sales projections by 40%. Their model X has faced significant delays. All the major automakers that invested in Tesla early and signed partnerships with them are now selling off their stakes and ending the partnerships. It's only a matter of time before they go bankrupt.

xtremequicksand9

Ready to race!
I don't think electric cars are as innovative as people make them seem to be. Especially when you consider where most of that power comes from these days. I honestly believe that Hydrogen, while it has its challenges, is the future of the automobile.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Toyota and Honda are proving that you can make a car as ugly as you want and it will still sell. Perhaps BMW took notice.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I wish I had a clue about the future of the automobile, I'd make some investments...

Off the top of my head I would think that self-driving gas-electric hybrids with advanced aero ought to be the future, but it could just be manual diesel station wagons.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I don't think electric cars are as innovative as people make them seem to be. Especially when you consider where most of that power comes from these days. I honestly believe that Hydrogen, while it has its challenges, is the future of the automobile.

I totally agree, but only because electric cars have been around for a lot longer than the current craze about them. EV1 is notable, but electric cars have been around for well over 100 yrs.

Shit, even Ferdinand Porsche designed an AWD electric with a motor in each hub...