GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

intermittent no start issues

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Well from that link looks as if I should got to the dealer pick up a fuel filter and try that and see if that does any thing

See above new link...If fuel filter is problem, that is simple, but I have 6.6 bar filter and sometime have same issue.

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
Well cars a 2012 with only 22k miles so I have not changed the fuel filter myself I'll have to get one

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
Alright so today I bought the new filter from the dealer will be putting it on this weekend so we will see if it helps

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
Not yet I have been busy working don't have time during the week only have weekend hours to do anything with the car

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
So new update was working in garage when it happen this time pulled a coil out and there's no fuel even after cranking it over a couple of times. I then tested the coil and I wasn't getting any spark either. Let the car sit a little bit then it fired right up put a plug in the coil while it was out and it sparks and started up

2012 Vw Gti DSG Unitronic stage 2 , k04 , CTS TBE , unitronic intercooler , Apr Cai

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
So new update was working in garage when it happen this time pulled a coil out and there's no fuel even after cranking it over a couple of times. I then tested the coil and I wasn't getting any spark either. Let the car sit a little bit then it fired right up put a plug in the coil while it was out and it sparks and started up

2012 Vw Gti DSG Unitronic stage 2 , k04 , CTS TBE , unitronic intercooler , Apr Cai

How do you know that there is no fuel? IE did you pull the plugs and see no fuel? Did you disconnect the spark plug/coil pack wires (or something equivalent to prevent ignition)? What did you actually do?

In my experience, after the engine sits a bit and cools down more, it starts up properly. This is an issue that happens when the engine is not fully cold or hot---in the middle temperature range.

thumpr1

Ready to race!
I'm going to be different and throw out another idea.

In the B6 generation Passats, there is a common problem with the key transponder ECU in the steering column. The ECU does not recognize the chip in the key and will not let the car start. You can turn the car over, but it will not start. You will not smell fuel because the ECU will not let the FP send fuel. It is a random problem and does not throw codes and for the most part is an undetectable issue. VW's fix for this is to replace the steering column and key ECU as it is one unit.

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to the dealer because this part usually runs about $1700, not sure about the GTI though.

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
Alright so this is what I did noticed it wouldn't start so I pulled the plug looked in there was no fuel you couldn't smell any fuel either. Next I took the plug and put it back in so I could try to start it again. I only put the plug in and not the coil so I had all 4 coil plugged in but only 3 of the coils were attached to the plugs in the engine the 4th coil I had out with a new plug put in so I could test spark had the plug connected to ground with a wire with clips on either end. Tried starting noticed there was no spark. Decided there was nothing else that I could do as of right then so let the car sit about 10 min then car fired up still with the same set up I didn't change a thing saw the spark plug that was out in the coil sparking then shut car off. That's all I know as of now

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
I'm going to be different and throw out another idea.

In the B6 generation Passats, there is a common problem with the key transponder ECU in the steering column. The ECU does not recognize the chip in the key and will not let the car start. You can turn the car over, but it will not start. You will not smell fuel because the ECU will not let the FP send fuel. It is a random problem and does not throw codes and for the most part is an undetectable issue. VW's fix for this is to replace the steering column and key ECU as it is one unit.

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to the dealer because this part usually runs about $1700, not sure about the GTI though.

The only problem with this is my dealer doesn't want to touch the car because I am tuned they will only touch the car if I take the time off and revert it back to stock

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Alright so this is what I did noticed it wouldn't start so I pulled the plug looked in there was no fuel you couldn't smell any fuel either. Next I took the plug and put it back in so I could try to start it again. I only put the plug in and not the coil so I had all 4 coil plugged in but only 3 of the coils were attached to the plugs in the engine the 4th coil I had out with a new plug put in so I could test spark had the plug connected to ground with a wire with clips on either end. Tried starting noticed there was no spark. Decided there was nothing else that I could do as of right then so let the car sit about 10 min then car fired up still with the same set up I didn't change a thing saw the spark plug that was out in the coil sparking then shut car off. That's all I know as of now

That's very interesting. if there's no spark and no fuel, what does that sound like? ==> ECU or maybe immobilizer.

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
That's very interesting. if there's no spark and no fuel, what does that sound like? ==> ECU or maybe immobilizer.

yea I hope that its not the ECU not in the mood to front out that much money. if it was immobilizer is there any way that I could find that out. is there anything on vcds that could tell me that it is active. I am going to revert my ecu back to stock tonight and see if I still have this starting issue if I don't have it then its something else but I will keep all posted on whats going on.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
could be the fuel sending unit that sits in the tank before it gets to the filter. I've seen that in a few threads with similar symptoms, but it's not common.

also check the fuse box for the fuel sending unit fuse.

12Mk6Gti

Ready to race!
could be the fuel sending unit that sits in the tank before it gets to the filter. I've seen that in a few threads with similar symptoms, but it's not common.

also check the fuse box for the fuel sending unit fuse.

I have checked all the fuses and all seem to be fine none are blown I will look into that tho.