GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frustrated with my GTI

rich337

Ready to race!
[Car: 2012 GTI 6MT, 22K miles, 100% stock]

After dropping it off to get my third water pump and to check for some random misfires, I was told that I have excessive carbon buildup that is not covered under warranty. Yeah I know it's a result of direct injection and driving habits, but I'm baffled by how early it's happening.

This car has given me more headaches than any new car I've ever owned, and I'm losing patience. Here's a running list of problems:

Mechanical defects fixed under warranty:
  • 7K miles: First water pump failed
  • 19K miles: Pressure plate failed (left me stranded 150 miles away from home)
  • 22K miles: Second water pump failed

Unresolved mechanical problems:
  • Random misfires (carbon buildup?)
  • Worsening fuel economy (carbon buildup?)
  • Intermittent starting issues (HPFP?)

Noises and annoyances:
  • Grinding noise while moving when the steering wheel is turned lock-to-lock: Had this issue since day 1, finally resolved two years and three dealers late.
  • Rattles: Glove box, center console, sunglass holder

Electrical gremlins:
  • Random TPMS warning lights
  • Dashboard warning lights will come on like a Christmas tree and then vanish while driving

Is this really just part of the VW ownership experience? I bought this car to be my daily driver, but I find myself driving my weekend car more, just so I don't pop a vessel or something. Do I just need to suck it up, or try pursuing action to get out of my lease (10 months remaining)?

rich337

Ready to race!
Yup, got it with 4 miles on the clock from Sunnyvale VW. Since then I've had it serviced at Royal in SF, Hansel in Santa Rosa, and now Serramonte.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
the rattles are insane i have them in mine from time to time.

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
Man that sucks. I have 81k with no issues like you guys. Only run f was the flapper which was replaced under warranty.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
You had a bad one, mine wp failed at 9k, then no issues up to 34k when it got totaled. Subframe moving issues, is because of that fucking pothole, not necesarily a reliable issue, clutch slip, due to apr stage 1 tune. Rattles only on a pillar passenger side when its cold. Mine in reliable in comparison

Rascal

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 and the only issue I've had was a bad intake manifold. Didn't strand me, ran fine, just a light on the dash. Other than that...rock solid. No rattles or squeeks, etc. My wife has a '13 GTI and no issues to report (19k miles).

If I had the number and severity of issues OP has had the car would be gone. I would trade it and get another one or bail on VW altogether if it makes you feel better. I couldn't tolerate not being able to trust my car.

peterbg16

Ready to race!
That to me sounds like a factory lemon. My brother has owned 3 VWs, I have owned 1 (car in sig) and have had very little issue outside of ones I created from modding, like bad suspension install which was my fault and I fixed everything accordingly.

I honestly would think about getting rid of the car. One thing I know about VWs is that if you get a lemon, you'll throw money at it until your arms get tired. That is the advice I have read on forums for cars like this.

snowsled

Ready to race!
You must not have much of a daily drive to have only accumulated 22k miles. I suspect you would have had less problems with more regular driving, or maybe you just ended up with a bad one. My '13 has 40k miles on it and not a single problem... yet.

I agree with the notion of RUNNING away from a car with that many issues, regardless of who built it.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
How did you get the steering grinding noise resolved?? I was told it was just the CV boot rubbing up against the wheel. How VW supposedly switched to a thicker material or something. It only happens when the road is wet and I turn the wheel full lock. It annoys me too but now I don't worry about it as much. I just want to make sure it's something minor and won't cause a huge headache later down the road.

rich337

Ready to race!
The grinding noise was fixed by spraying lithium grease on the CV boots. Surprisingly it's been an effective fix.

After the pressure plate failed and stranded me in the middle of nowhere, I tried getting VWoA to terminate my lease. However that would be the equivalent of a lemon law buyback. Since the same part hasn't failed four times or the car hasn't been inoperable for a total of 30 days, I'm not eligible. I feel totally screwed, but will try again.

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
Completely understood. I have a fair number of issues that have surfaced in under 60K:

Failed window regulator, failed truck latch, rear wiper drip, three water pumps, one replaced radiator, one failed N80 valve, random occasional misfires they attribute to gas o_O, annoying intermittent radio buzz/ feedback (still yet to be resolved)...yeah while I love the car, no more veedubs for me at this point. Seriously.

I will keep this one for quite some time as it has been paid for from day one and money is really not an issue. I will move on to something else later down the line if I get too tired of it.