GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 FMIC VS APR IC in K04

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm what now? :lol: Yes you're completely correct about whatever you say about me! It hurts so much :(

I'm probably not an engineer, then. Probably know nothing about heat exchanger design. Probably don't work for a company that has anything to do with the manufacturing of consumer durable goods. You know you're right, I probably don't own a GTI or do anything for this community on a regular basis, either. :( :(

:( I'm alllll alone for Christmas, woe is me

Serious? Your alone for Christmas, Sucks, so sorry to hear. If you were here in SoCal you would be more than welcome :)

Jeff

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
He probably wasnt sure what tire pressure to run over the holidays to visit family. Paralyzed with fear over 2-3psi. :)

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i don't understand why people think it's such a difference. the oem style intercoolers are what 4x the size of front mount options. the difference is negligible and aftermarket oem style ic support just about any big turbo build you can throw at it.

what is the apr ic rated at? because the neuspeed is what 400hp? for such a great design i'd assume it would trump everything on the market. but it can't flow enough air no matter how much cooling you think it will get you over an oem style.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
He probably wasnt sure what tire pressure to run over the holidays to visit family. Paralyzed with fear over 2-3psi. :)
C'mon you aren't going to fool me with that one. Tires need to be at least 9 or 10 psi. More in the winter.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
what is the apr ic rated at? because the neuspeed is what 400hp? for such a great design i'd assume it would trump everything on the market. but it can't flow enough air no matter how much cooling you think it will get you over an oem style.

This...

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Yet you fail to mention Subies have direct air flow to their IC's. SSOOO....your point is irrelevant.

Lets do this. If your willing to come out to my area. I will buy a Nuespeed IC have it iinstalled, you buy what you want, we both dyno our cars on a bone stock car otherwise, see who prevails?

Im in. You?

Jeff

Yea lets do that. I'm in Germany so I'll let you get my plane ticker. Don't forget to pick up a k04 and have apr flash v3.1 so we can be on the same ground.

Yea this test is super awesome and makes so much sense to validate your point!

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Guys, even if VW just smushed their IC in the most convenient place I'm sure companies like APR played with both setups. There are pluses(however you spell it) and minuses to both setups. I have a big smic and it works exceptionally well with the K04. It's actually bigger than the APR unit, with no pressure drop i might add, and I'm sure it will do fine with meth on an upcoming BT setup.

To each his own brothers. This is a lame argument.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
This one has been covered in depth in the intercooler thread. There are pros and cons about both locations.. The big thing everyone loose site of his how minor an upgrade an ic is. Ics don't add power so much as help you retain it.

Stock location pro, more room for larger ic core, larger surface area for more airflow, front end is designed to maximize airflow in he stock location. Ac condensor protects ic from road debris, shorte intake path for less lag.

Cons slight heating of the air from the ac condenser which is an issue when not moving, but no ic works when your sitting in traffic due to a lack of airflow, and it's a pain in the butt to install.

NEUSPEED PROS easier install, less expensive, pretty effective, slightly cooler air due to location and some like e look of a "fmic"
Cons small size, less surface area for cooling, less airflow over the core, potentially reduces ac efficiency, and measurebly more lag.

Bottom line there reason their aren't many ics in the neuspeed location, is the stock location works well and the slightly cooler air dosent compensate for the larger core and larger airflow of the stock location.

The reason to do the neuspeed are looks, ease of installation and price.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
if you need more airflow or improved cooling, then yes it is a power mod. without it you won't see the same power at a track or strip. the reason cars with top mounts switch to front mounts is because you can't make a top mount ic that flows enough to support the power. at least without fitting a retarded hood on your car.

there's a reason every garret/precision/etc. intercooler option has a power rating. the only thing that i think is dumb is for whatever reason, none of our aftermarket ones seem to provide a rating, besides the neuspeed that just reuses a garret core right? there's a 600hp core but you have to cut into your bumper/radiator support.

kakluote

Ready to race!
Looks no one talk about the pressure drop
And ic size compare to power.
600hp core using it in a k04 level mod, definitely.not a good choice.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i haven't heard of any issues with pressure drop on our intercoolers.

think of it like an n/a car. you can choke it and feel more torque or open it up to maximize power.

kakluote

Ready to race!
i haven't heard of any issues with pressure drop on our intercoolers.

think of it like an n/a car. you can choke it and feel more torque or open it up to maximize power.
Let's say

1.5 bar at big IC,.1.7bar at s3, intntake air temp is about the same

So which will have more power?

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Depends on your timing advance and fuel trims. Even if you're down 2 or 3 psi you could still be making more power with cooler air. Also you could be flowing a higher volume of air with lower boost with a bigger IC. The GTX turbos are generally only making about 20 psi but moving more air.

kakluote

Ready to race!
Timming the same. Fuel trim the same.but after change big ic i have high rpm misfire, solving by New coil pack and plug.

This issues make me think, more pressure to coil and plugs,,come from more high end power