GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Golf R Badly Damaged by VW Dealership! Rear Drivetrain Destroyed

bebersol

Ready to race!
So as I'm looking at this I'm seeing that he drained your differential oil and not your Haldex oil, and then didn't refill you differential with oil. The Haldex oil is thin like transmission oil. Differential oil is standard 75-90 synthetic gear lube.

Looking at your pics the Haldex fill port is visible to the left, but I can't tell if it was removed and replaced.

I think there's a lot of confusion because the Haldex and differential are both in a single casting. the forward part being where the Haldex clutches are located, and the aft part being the differential.

I am also surprised by how gummed up you diff oil was at 30K.

Also VW dealers don't really have Haldex service as a 30k mi item. My dealer doesn't even carry the filter for the gen 4 Haldex (go figure). VAG delivered the vehicle with the Haldex as a non maintenance (lifetime) item.

We all know better and I for one have read some of the horror stories of what the Haldex fluid looks like at 30 - 40K.
Thankfully ECS and several other VAG specialty shops carry the Haldex service kit, and it's an easy job to do on your own.

The gen 5 Haldex doesn't even have a filter, wonder how that's going to work out. Watch the MK7 R site for that thread.

I truly sorry to hear about you bad experience those are the kinds of experiences in my past that made me learn how to work on my own car.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Take them to Small Claims Court and seek compensation for time lost, expenses incurred, and vehicle damage.

It will be difficult to prove the latter, but having all four wheels lock up and skidding to a halt won't affect just the rear drivetrain, it will also affect the transmission and motor. Since the exact damage will be difficult to prove, I would press for extended warranty coverage of those areas.

Mugenboyz

Take them to Small Claims Court and seek compensation for time lost, expenses incurred, and vehicle damage.

It will be difficult to prove the latter, but having all four wheels lock up and skidding to a halt won't affect just the rear drivetrain, it will also affect the transmission and motor. Since the exact damage will be difficult to prove, I would press for extended warranty coverage of those areas.

I've given up on on trying to get extended warranty. Consulted with lawyers and this was a case of negligence. I'm only entitled to the repair :(.

What I learned from this experience is I will be servicing my car from now on. Thanks everyone for the support and inputs!

Mugenboyz

Wow, this exact thing happened to me when I took my R to Parkway VW in Santa Clarita. Except I was on the freeway when my rear diff exploded, it was scary as shit. Dealer wouldn't admit that they did anything wrong but immediately volunteered to fix it and give me a rental for 2+ weeks. Figured it wasn't worth the hassle to fight them for anything more, although it was extremely frustrating. The dealer expected me to believe that it was a fluke and that my differential blowing up the day after I had my 30k service was just a coincidence.

I knew my problem wasn't a coincidence so that's why I had towed my car to a another VW dealer. I'm sorry you had to go through this as well.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Also VW dealers don't really have Haldex service as a 30k mi item. My dealer doesn't even carry the filter for the gen 4 Haldex (go figure). VAG delivered the vehicle with the Haldex as a non maintenance (lifetime) item.

I believe this is untrue.

VW released the MKV R32 in 2008 with a "Lifetime" Haldex fill. After a lot of fighting between enthusiasts and VW; and several blown Haldex units, they finally changed their stance and made it a 40k mile maintenance item. When they released the Golf R in 2012; the Haldex was listed as a 30k initial service (included in the 3rd "free" maintenance) and every 3 years regardless of mileage from there on.

The differential is still listed as "lifetime" fluid; but I never trusted that in my MKV and did it with each Haldex service.

bebersol

Ready to race!
I spoke with my dealer (Autobhan VW Fort Worth) yesterday. The don't even carry the Gen 4 Haldex filters, just the fluid, which is common to all Haldex units. I remember seeing something in the owners manual about servicing, so I guess I'll have to look it up again.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
There is no filter in the MK6 R. Only in the R32. In the MK6 R, only change the Haldex fluid. Change it religiously every 30 K miles.

Sent from the ether.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
There is no filter in the MK6 R. Only in the R32. In the MK6 R, only change the Haldex fluid. Change it religiously every 30 K miles.

Sent from the ether.

Yes there is a filter on the mk6 R which has the gen 4 Haldex.

Part number is: Haldex filter -> HALDEX.111358
fluid -> G055175A2

Several of us have had the filter changed.

VW dealers do not stock the filter, or have it on their system.
One can get the filter from independent suppliers such as ECS tuning etc.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
I didn't see that on mine. I'll look again, but what I saw was different.

Sent from the ether.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
I didn't see that on mine. I'll look again, but what I saw was different.

Sent from the ether.

It's a fact. There is an extensive thread on the other major forum with how to change it out.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I spoke with my dealer (Autobhan VW Fort Worth) yesterday. The don't even carry the Gen 4 Haldex filters, just the fluid, which is common to all Haldex units. I remember seeing something in the owners manual about servicing, so I guess I'll have to look it up again.

Just for your info/assistance: The bolded above is also not true. There are 2 different Haldex fluids, so be sure they have the correct one for your car. Gen I Haldex units used a different fluid than Gn II&IV units do. If I had to guess; I would bet your dealer stocks the gen I fluid. ;)

Sent from the ether.

Yeah; there is definitely a filter. That was one of the main points leading to the maintenance change from "lifetime" to "service every XX miles" was the obvious fact that a filter had to be changed. :thumbsup:

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
Well... I just called a friend who is a Tech at a local (Los Angeles County, California). My car a 2012 Golf R does not have a Haldex fluid filter. He says that the computer does not show one with my VIN. There were different Haldex units used in the MK 6 Golf R, and mine doesn't have a filter.
This means that I will replace the fluid religiously every 30 K miles.

Sent from the ether.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Well... I just called a friend who is a Tech at a local (Los Angeles County, California). My car a 2012 Golf R does not have a Haldex fluid filter. He says that the computer does not show one with my VIN. There were different Haldex units used in the MK 6 Golf R, and mine doesn't have a filter.
This means that I will replace the fluid religiously every 30 K miles.

Sent from the ether.

Again, not to promote false statements.

The mk6 Golf-R absolutely does have a haldex filter.

VW dealers do not have it on their system, or stock the part, that is why there is confusion on not having one.

There are not different versions of haldex on the mk6, it is a gen 4 system for all.

Zach L

VR junkie
There is nothing special about dealerships or the guys that work at them. Do your own maintenance. You will be more critical of your own work, more concise, and take more care to do things properly than a dealership or any shop technician ever will.