GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Air intakes: Why do we keep doing this shit?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I woundnt value an open filter intake as much now as I did when I bought mine. However it'll make a difference when you're tuned. More so when you're bigger than sock turbo. Let me put it this way - the TOP and TB do less than an intake and yet they're pretty popular power mods after stage 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

411big

Ready to race!
I had an intake once, bought an apr carbonio for 200 and sold it days later for $280. It never got installed on my car because I didn't think I could handle all the gainz. And because it was apr. ...

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
My local APR tuner told me that a cold air intake was useless unless I swapped the turbo which would benefit from more air flow. He also said I'd be swapping the intercooler and possibly some of the piping if I went the turbo swapping route.

Going further, it was also stated that if I was going to swap the turbo, I bought the wrong car in the first place.

DomNhyphy

Passed Driver's Ed
Mad street cred, yo!

I just like the look and sound. :/

kern417

Go Kart Champion
some things are done to improve responsiveness rather than power. hp isn't everything. quicker spool and wider powerband are just as important.

oops.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
noise is one, but it's also one of the simplest DIY mods you can do for your car with no real risk of breaking anything.

This.

Turbo noises and it was a simple thing that "I" could do myself without fucking up making me feel like i contributed.

KO7

Ready to race!
Did I miss some recent revelation that they're almost useless for power gains?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Functionally, they are 100% useless.
I'd love to see someone do timed runs on identical cars with and without intakes side by side.

Last edited:

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Wut