GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 stock turbo runs 11's new 1/4 record

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Soo.... have these honeywell turbo's been fixed in the mk7's? I'll consider mk7 as next car if can be further proven.

This is a mute point because even if something happened, it would still be covered under warranty.
I would totally get an MK7 except for it's looks are such a turn off. The performance is undeniable and there really isn't much to argue in comparisons between the Mk6 and 7. They are night and day honestly. All you can do with the Mk6 is spend $$$ to get it close to Mk7 performance. I just find the Mk6 is a very solid, refined ride and I love it's looks inside and out. I knew before hand buying the MK6 was going to sacrifice performance for the car I wanted, but I went with it.

Enough to make me wait to see what the MK8 is all about, or just jump ship all together, lol.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
This is a mute point because even if something happened, it would still be covered under warranty... All you can do with the Mk6 is spend $$$ to get it close to Mk7 performance.

The turbos failing is not a moot point... It's a major components failure that inconveniences the owner.

And close to the 7s performance!!!!? Granted I've dropped a fair amount of money on my car but I damn sure haven't seen a mk7 that can hold a candle to my mk6.

I think there is no question the mk7 is a better starting platform but that doesn't make it a better car IMO

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
The turbos failing is not a moot point... It's a major components failure that inconveniences the owner.

And close to the 7s performance!!!!? Granted I've dropped a fair amount of money on my car but I damn sure haven't seen a mk7 that can hold a candle to my mk6.

I think there is no question the mk7 is a better starting platform but that doesn't make it a better car IMO

Are you BT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Are you BT?

He is K04. Once again guys, the turbos are a moot point because they have been fixed. They are being shipped with fixed turbos and there hasn't been case in a long long time unlike the waterpumps of the MK6 and the Cam Followers of the MK5.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Are you BT?

Nope. K04. It's in my sig.

I haven't seen the new mk7 GTI with a turbo swap get either. Still a real new platform.

I'll amend my previous statement too.. The only car I've seen hold a candle is the one this thread is in reference to

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Nope. K04. It's in my sig.

I haven't seen the new mk7 GTI with a turbo swap get either. Still a real new platform.

I'll amend my previous statement too.. The only car I've seen hold a candle is the one this thread is in reference to

The IS38 tunes are coming out now :)

The IS38 is the Golf R turbo and it's $1,300 out the door. No "Kits" needed. A few members are running it and dyno'ing more than ~380whp. With a real tune and ethanol you will see over 400 wheel on that turbo which is the perfect DD number imo. Just like with the MK6's it's extremely exciting to see what the new cars can do.

Here is a dyno (380whp, 390wtq) from RJracing on the MK7 forums. He's a real cool dude that's pushing the envelope with these new cars.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
380 in a lighter car is going to be too much. Even with the lsd they are going to be battling real traction issues on street tires.

I know the is38 is out and available for the mk7 but its still in fledgling stages and only a few cars have it in their gti

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
There's a local guy installing his is38 this week. This should be a good comparison since he will be on the same dyne that I have done all my tuning and testing on. Will be a more accurate comparison of whp.

This thread just got interesting.

IS38 swaps? NICE. Hope to hear more about this @Rotoryknight

Maybe the MK7 looks will grow on me, or the price/performance aspect will light a fire under my ass. There are really no cars on market right now that intrigue me to switch from my mk6 GLI.